Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you see ‘pictures’ when you imagine?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by FirstDates
    When you close your eyes and imagine someone or something do you actually see something in your mind?
    I see pictures.

Can you elaborate more?

I have a very difficult time seeing images in my mind. If I think of my mother's face it's just kind of a vague approximation with little detail. There are people who cannot see any images in their mind whatsoever. The condition is called "aphantasia", you may be interested in looking it up.

Platinum Member
    I have very vivid memories. They're snapshots where it's very detailed and clear and I still have very vivid memories of the past. Even when it's been like 10 years. I am pretty creative and have always been quite artsy.

Platinum Member
    I find this conversation fascinating...

I can think in images - but it requires a different level of concentration.

So - walking around day-to-day, I’m not seeing images in my mind when I’m thinking. I think I would find that very distracting? But if you ask me to imagine a bird, and I close my eyes or I’m staring off into space, or I’m doing some post-yoga meditation or something - yes - I can see images. Like a dream.

But it’s definitely a different “part” of my brain or something. I can’t multi-task when I’m imagining things - but I can definitely multi-task when I’m “regular” thinking.

Platinum Member
    It depends what I am thinking about. I was able to do well on closed book exams because I could imagine my entire written notes on the page (I handwrote and rewrote my handwritten notes with a pen -didn't type -that is how I retained) - and I literally could copy what I saw onto the exam paper. That was an image- a picture. I have very vivid dreams at night, I cannot draw but I do think I see actual pictures I just don't think about it. I am not autistic. Very interesting question!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by melancholy123
    I cant draw, I am not autistic, but I see pictures when I imagine. A bird would probably be sitting on a branch or whatever and most likely quite colourful. If I imagine a house I'd like to live in, I can see the shape of it, what the surrounding area might look like, is it a bungalow or two storey, does it have a garage? All the details I can picture. I really cant imagine just a "thing" and not seeing am image of some sort.
    Isn't it the same for everyone? I thought this is how human brain works.

When I'm reading a book, I dont actually visualize what I'm reading. I read the words and understand the story from that. Ive been told by others that they actually visualize what they are reading, like watching a movie. This has never happened to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice