Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with new puppy

I do think i might be sensitive actually. Well that's what I'm trying to figure out at least. I believe her growling and biting are part of her play. But when i say ' no' or dont play along due to the bites she becomes more determined and headstrong, chasing us and lunging with mouth open. I'm not scared of her, like i said she's lovely as well and she does control her bites. I'm just worried that she's extra difficult.

Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Adult dogs are almost always better behaved than puppies. And there are small cutesy ones that would help with the fear.

Puppies are a LOT of work. Like toddler level of work. Yes, the behavior is normal. Yes, itíll take probably about a year before the dog calms down. Which is why itís imperative to get it trained right away. And your whole family needs to be involved in the training b
    I've raised two children on my own. I can confirm this puppy is wayyyy more work. I was not prepared for this at all.

Platinum Member
    Adult dogs are almost always better behaved than puppies. And there are small cutesy ones that would help with the fear.

Puppies are a LOT of work. Like toddler level of work. Yes, the behavior is normal. Yes, itíll take probably about a year before the dog calms down. Which is why itís imperative to get it trained right away. And your whole family needs to be involved in the training b
    I agree. You should have gotten an older dog, as you would not be dealing with these issues.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by charity
    i do think i might be sensitive actually. Well that's what i'm trying to figure out at least. I believe her growling and biting are part of her play. But when i say ' no' or dont play along due to the bites she becomes more determined and headstrong, chasing us and lunging with mouth open. I'm not scared of her, like i said she's lovely as well and she does control her bites. I'm just worried that she's extra difficult.
    get some professional training!

I've raised two children on my own. I can confirm this puppy is wayyyy more work. I was not prepared for this at all.
    I joke that puppies are cute because if they werenít, nobody would wanna deal with them!

Platinum Member
    I do think i might be sensitive actually. Well that's what I'm trying to figure out at least. I believe her growling and biting are part of her play. But when i say ' no' or dont play along due to the bites she becomes more determined and headstrong, chasing us and lunging with mouth open. I'm not scared of her, like i said she's lovely as well and she does control her bites. I'm just worried that she's extra difficult.
    She doesn't know what "no" means. She can't connect her behavior with the word "no".

She will be like this until she is an adult. While she's becoming an adult you must get her into training and involve the entire family.

I will say, if you're already thinking about giving her back, do it sooner rather than later. That way someone else who actually wants the puppy will get her before she gets too much older.

I joke that puppies are cute because if they werenít, nobody would wanna deal with them!
    Ain't that the truth!

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    She doesn't know what "no" means. She can't connect her behavior with the word "no".

She will be like this until she is an adult. While she's becoming an adult you must get her into training and involve the entire family.

I will say, if you're already thinking about giving her back, do it sooner rather than later. That way someone else who actually wants the puppy will get her before she gets too much older.
    Well she can 'sit' and give the 'paw. I do obedience training every day. So I think she probably knows what 'no' means. She just doesn't want to do the 'no' if that makes sense.
    'I really don't want to bring her back. I'll look into the socialization classes to get some help.

Platinum Member
    I would really look into professional training, OP.

This is admittedly very unfamiliar territory for you and your family. A pro can help guide all of you in the best way for this particular breed.

Check out this thread about dogs :
    [Register to see the link]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice