Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: don’t know what to do: letting go or finding a middle ground

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    20

    don’t know what to do: letting go or finding a middle ground

    Hi guys as i detailed in my previous posts about my breakup with my ex of three years and how it kind of progressed into a fwb (we only did it 4 times it wasnt a regular thing). We are both 19 and its been about 4 months since breaking up. I went to his house yesterday because i wanted to see the “vibe” that would be there between us. Before going over i specifically told my ex that i wanted to know if we could work on our relationship or i think it would be best to cut off contact. At his house everything felt fine, it felt like we were together again. However, at the end i popped the question again and i also couldnt stop crying, he would dab my face with his blanket and hug me. The thing is, my ex is the “go with the flow” “everything will be find in the end” type of person. He dislikes listening to our issues and thinks that we should focus on the present instead of planning for the future..? He kept comforting and kissing and hugging and everything just made me feel like things were the same. I’d turn the other way in bed and he’d get sad and want me to face him. He says he simply doesnt want a relationship and to live life. My family members and friends have said maybe its because we’ve been together at a young age for so long that he wants to experience new things. This makes me sad. However, honestly my ex is an introvert he literally does not speak to anyone besides me. Since breaking up ive had lots of attention from guys so it doesn’t make sense. Recently he’s been realising this and making it known to me that im the only company he has. I love him, we’ve been talking for everyday for 4 years, we went to school together and basically that just makes the attachment worse. I want to let go but i also feel like im losing a friend and a part of myself. So when people tell me to just “move on” i just cant. I don’t know what to do. A part of me wants to cut things off to see if he actually cares enough to do something about it but apart of me just doesnt have the courage to do so.

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    12,065
    It's up to you to decide how long you want to put up with doing things his way and living in limbo.

    One thing I recommend you do for sure...cut off the non-committed sex, sexting and sharing his bed.

    In a way, what he says makes sense...what would he be getting out of calling what you're doing a "relationship" that he's not currently getting?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    20
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    It's up to you to decide how long you want to put up with doing things his way and living in limbo.

    One thing I recommend you do for sure...cut off the non-committed sex, sexting and sharing his bed.

    In a way, what he says makes sense...what would he be getting out of calling what you're doing a "relationship" that he's not currently getting?
    Should i implement NC, apart of me wants to send him a huge paragraph telling him directly how I feel before doing so

  4. #4
    Platinum Member bluecastle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3,202
    Gender
    Male
    I've been following your story since the beginning. Here with some thoughts, stories, and observations to process as you see fit.

    What you are experiencing right now—and him too, but since I don't have a portal into his emotional state we'll keep things about you—is what everyone experiences after a breakup. That's not very comforting, I know, since this is your life, your feelings, and right now it's all hitting you like an avalanche. Hugs on all that. Big ones.

    Still, I ask you to try to see it that way for a minute. Everyone, in the wake of a big breakup, is confused, lonely, hurting, and everyone has an instinct to want their ex to be the person to make all that go away. Put crudely: everyone kinda sorta still wants sleep with their ex and kinda sorta still wants to get back together.

    It's all human, emotions that have been making the world spin since the Big Bang, or at least since tadpoles turned into humans or God created Adam and Eve or whatever your belief system. Right now you, and him, are experiencing shades of those emotions, and reacting to them.

    Here's the flip side, in similar generalizations: No one wants to be in a relationship with someone who is an emotional mess, and no one wants to spend time with people who make them feel like an emotional mess. No one. All that is exhausting, unsatisfying. So no one, really, wants to be with the kind of people each of you are right now.

    That's where things get super confusing, especially because people, since the beginning of time, will still have sex with people who are emotional messes and people will have sex in order to make messy emotions feel less messy. That's human too, much like the human urge to stick our hands in open fires even when we know it will burn. And, right now, both of you are playing with fire.

    The majority of people on the planet have, at some point, had regular, blurry sex with an ex. They've tried to treat the burn by throwing themselves into the fire—and, well, most of them have ended up in your shoes: more burned up. On this site you're getting a small subset of those burn victims, most of them much older than you, trying to help you see what's what right now. I have lived exactly 20 years longer than you, for reference. I have only not had sex with an "big ex" once, and it took me until I was 37 to resist that fire—to understand that it never, ever leads to happily ever after, or even much happiness.

    Neither does replaying a breakup a zillion times over in hopes of getting a different outcome, which is really all you two are doing, at least so far. Breaking up again and again and again, on a loop, hoping one more spin round will land on "back together," like a gambling junkie at the slot machines hoping for a jackpot as he goes broke. You get little flashes of hope, and flashes of skin, but the thing is? In the process neither of you are becoming people you want to be, or be with. You are a mess and he is a mess.

    So, sure, he will dab your eyes as you cry, but he's also thinking: ugh—I don't want this, just as you are thinking the very same thing. He'll feel kind of jealous when other dudes are into you, because he's human, but he's also thinking: ugh—I don't want to feel like this, just as somewhere you are thinking that you don't want him back just because he's jealous. You're kind of trying to clean up a mess by making it messier.

    Hard advice? Stop. Stop all of it. Give yourself a window—a month, say—to not do everything you're doing. No contact, no sex, no big proclamations. Sit with your feelings for a minute and see where they settle. Thirty days is not an eternity. It is doable, and you'll thank yourself later, whether that's being back with him or not.

  5.  

  6. #5
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    12,065
    Originally Posted by Ellaho
    Should i implement NC, apart of me wants to send him a huge paragraph telling him directly how I feel before doing so
    Are you saying he has no idea how you feel?

    You know he already knows. So why bother?

    You could tell him you're stepping away because all of this is just making things more confusing for you. Yes, he'll try to convince you you're wrong because he really likes the commitment-free sex, the sexting and the companionship without actually having to be in a real relationship with you. He gets everything he wants and what do you get? A few hours with him where you feel good, then afterward you're more confused and more hurt because he keeps telling you he doesn't want to be in a relationship with you.

    Telling him ONE MORE TIME how you feel isn't going to change that and I think you know it.

  7. #6
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,393
    Here we go again! We all told you to move on.

    I thought you were going to journal.

  8. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,393
    Originally Posted by Ellaho
    Should i implement NC, apart of me wants to send him a huge paragraph telling him directly how I feel before doing so
    Oh God! Why do you think this would make any diffence. He does not want to be with you, except for sex.

    You haven't followed any of our advice, why do you continue to ask?
    Last edited by Hollyj; 09-20-2019 at 11:57 PM.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    20
    Originally Posted by bluecastle
    I've been following your story since the beginning.

    Hard advice? Stop. Stop all of it. Give yourself a window—a month, say—to not do everything you're doing. No contact, no sex, no big proclamations. Sit with your feelings for a minute and see where they settle. Thirty days is not an eternity. It is doable, and you'll thank yourself later, whether that's being back with him or not.
    - Thanks for following up on my posts, honestly i feel like a mess. I’m a really rational person and i’m so used to seeing things objectively but im really struggling to right now. I like to analyse the situation and discuss it contrary to my ex who likes to “forget about it” as if the problems will disappear if that happens. Your answer helped quite a bit.

    - I’m pretty set on doing no contact although i’m not sure for how long... its crazy how people think you can just cut someone off after years of talking everyday. Sometimes i wished he’d done something really bad to make the process easier...

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    20
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Oh God! Why do you think this would make any diffence. He does not want to be with you, except for sex.

    You haven't followed any of our advice, why do you continue to ask?
    It’s almost like a coping method right now. He often at times just talks to me about his day and work like we used to. Honestly his motives feel blurred right now.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    20
    [QUOTE=boltnrun;7164820]Are you saying he has no idea how you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •