What the best way to develop more hobbies?

FirstDates

Pokemon Go. Obviously how much this appeals to you depends on if you are the right age to have experienced the Pokemon craze around the turn of the millennium, but there are also a lot of players who are new to the franchise entirely. Basically the game forces you to walk around outside, interact with people to complete tasks and challenges in real world locations. So good for an active lifestyle and socializing. It also encourages travelling around the world too as there are events localized to specific cities (thus far major events have been held in the US, Japan, S Korea, Australia, Germany etc)

I moved to a new city in 2017, I met most of my friends and my girlfriend playing that game, though if I am honest, in the UK at least, Pokemon Go is somewhat of a fringe hobby, and it does tend to attract a rather "weird" demographic.

Sports, clubs, groups, volunteering, taking classes and courses, traveling. Check to see what local places offer courses or classes you like such as yoga, dancing, cooking, learning a language, chess, whatever, etc. Also volunteer in something that interests you. Run for a cause or volunteer at an animal shelter or children's hospital.

I’ve had a ton of hobbies over the years. My big 3 right now are...

Dragon boating! Wow! I loooove it! I have never been an athletic person and certainly not a team sports person - but this sport has been perfect for me. It gets you outside, being social, moving around, around a ton of fun people, etc. Everyone I have met has been totally supportive (even if I’m not the best) - and our club likes to do other fun activities too.

Volunteering - I help raise funds and do fun activities in support of a children’s hospital.

... and Pokémon Go! I had to laugh a bit when MirrorKnight posted that. I echo everything he said. While I’m certainly older than him (Pokémon did not exist when I was a kid...), it doesn’t really matter. I’ve also met a ton of friends this way - some of my closest friends - and if I’m missing for more than a couple of days, people are definitely messaging me trying to find out where I’m at and to come do this and that. I agree it gets you out walking and being social!

PS: @MirrorKnight - are you going to Montreal this weekend?? I can’t wait!! Lol!

I'm not a big believer in pushing myself to have "hobbies" per se. I am not athletic or artistic although I'm a big fan of /patron of the arts and I love fitness and staying in shape which I've been successful at (not like six pack abs -I just mean slim/thin/fit/healthy).. I also hate the question "what are your hobbies."

But since the summer I turned 15 I've been regularly doing volunteer work in various forms - so since the early 1980s. That helped me develop interests - I've worked with children/done phone drives/political lobbying (many decades ago), cooked, helped with resumes, interviews. I also do get enjoyment out of working - I like the sense of accomplishment, like that I get to write for a lot of my living (I used to write creatively and it's been a long time). I understand that most people divide work and play, work and hobbies and whether it makes me boring or otherwise, I like my work. I also like my fitness routine and it's really boring and not a "hobby" and rarely involves interacting with other people regularly - it used to but life gets in the way so boring routine it is.

I do love to read. Is reading a hobby? I've loved reading more than anything for about 49 years. I've been in a number of book clubs. I also used to be involved in the arts as part of my work, as a patron, through my friends. And I took acting classes and would gladly do that again (and wish my son liked his but alas he did not). I love to travel and always have but it's not "a hobby".

I confess -when I hear people talk about certain hobbies/sports -they run marathons, play tennis, swing dancing, salsa dancing, bridge, zumba, etc - sometimes I wish I could be that person and .... I'm not. I know many find me interesting and fun/funny to talk to interact with over the years. So even though I don't have "hobbies" I try to keep up with what's going on in the world, I'm always fascinated in other people's lives down to the details (is that a hobby?). and my husband and I like watching certain shows together, movies, etc. He probably has more in the way of hobbies - Trekkie, a certain baseball team, etc.

I discovered Strategy Board Gaming a couple of decades ago. Have met so many people through it and I do it for the enjoyment of getting together with a bunch of other intellectuals and playing a deep strategy game.

I enjoy Volleyball for at a competitive level and also a more social level.

Creative writing. I've knocked out 17 short stories this year and more to come.

I don't know if I have one ongoing hobby as such, but I definitely have a lot of interests and things to do. My main thing that I love to do is going out and experiencing various events. I usually go with friends, but I'm fine with going alone too. I'll try anything once but my favourite things to go to are festivals, music gigs, art exhibitions, theatre, markets, cinemas, cafes. I also love watching horror movies and dressing up in costume/cosplay.

I guess one actual hobby I've been doing this year is regularly going to pub trivia nights. I think a good way to try out different hobbies and see if you like them is coming along to Meetup.com groups. That way you can do the hobby and meet a lot of other people at the same time.

I'm with Carus. Surfing is a big one, ditto motorcycles, especially off-road. Not sure if it's possible to feel more present and alive than when I'm carving through woods or water.

I realized a while ago that I'm happiest when I feel like I "used" all of myself, brain and body, so my days are kind of built around achieving that state: emptied mind, sore limbs.

Personally, I don't like the word "hobby." Sounds trivial, to my mind. Maybe "pursuits" is more apt, for my way of thinking. Basically if anything interests me I'll just figure out a way to do it—that is a highly "developed" instinct in me—and the ones that stick become part of the fabric of my life, keeping me buoyant, sometimes literally, always figuratively.

Kayaking. I'm usually prowling the west coast waters. We have a lot of islands and inlets. I drive down to the states also and it's quite fast since I signed up for Nexus about five years ago. My husband scales the mountains instead. I'll never really understand what the appeal is going up 5000 ft or higher but he regularly tries to convince me. I like being around his enthusiasm though. He accompanies me on my trips also and tends to have more enthusiasm overall since he's newer (less near death experiences, I guess). We have a thing for gear so I suppose that's a hobby also. We often also take the Jeep into the outback and take some basics like the chainsaw out etc. We follow all the rules, by the way, and there's etiquette out there too. We never fall any standing trees and only deadwood. I'm pretty good with an ax too. We generally stay away from people and mind our own business/don't bother anyone and try not to disturb the land (only use what we need).

I also grow things. It's a compulsive desire and I'm not sure why I have to do it or why it brings so much enjoyment. I have lemon trees I've grown from seed from a lemons in a grocery store and grow herbs and other fruit trees. Walking into garden centers or coming across heirloom seeds or rare plants also makes me feel like a child in a toy store. I usually have my hands in the dirt if I'm not working or inside the house or kayaking. I also seem to have adopted a lot of plants that no one wants in our sun room, mostly a lot of orchid plants that people have given up on but they're doing great and very beautiful. It takes some patience, that's all, as they don't flower all year round in our climate.

Do you get out of the house much, or are you in front of the computer all the time?

I work on a computer for work, I’d say I’m less dependent on technology for amusement than my peers (30 years old).

I’m actually looking for hobbies in connection to personal growth. I feel I’m in a season where I’m not as willing to invest the time into certain things I enjoyed in the past —working out 5-6 days a week for example— curious at what others are interested in and looking for inspiration!

I work on a computer for work, I’d say I’m less dependent on technology for amusement than my peers (30 years old).

I’m actually looking for hobbies in connection to personal growth. I feel I’m in a season where I’m not as willing to invest the time into certain things I enjoyed in the past —working out 5-6 days a week for example— curious at what others are interested in and looking for inspiration!

Volunteer work. For me anyway the personal growth is immeasurable. Not why I did it -meaning I didn't think of it exactly that way but yes. I highly recommend working backstage at a community theater - I know of many who've done that including a really introverted guy I know who lost his wife when they were middle aged and had rarely been to the theater much less worked at one. He's now been volunteering there for a few years and seems to enjoy it!

I love to explore town or city centers, either alone or with a friend or two. I start early mornings in the local breakfast joint then creep around learning what makes the place and people unique. I try to target places with an event, but sometimes I just strike it cold and stumble upon some gold mines of adventure or artistry or historic pride. I end at the most recommended pub or restaurant.

Sometimes I take photos of a landmark to paint later. Plenty of places have warranted revisiting for a cause or an event or a fun date with someone I've met there or with someone I'd like to turn onto the place.

Well, then I think you should seek activities that involve exercise and the outdoors, then you will be able to expand your social circle and be active.

Have you tried Meetups?

Archived