Help... need to dethrone my supervisor

I’ve been with my office for longer than my supervisor (by maybe an extra 3-6 months). He is older so has more experience but I am harder working and am the better performer on the job (probably because I work harder). Personally I don’t think he cares and has a reputation of being lazy... he tries to dump work on others, which idk if my boss boss knows or doesn’t know. I consider the department I am in basically mine since I’ve been there the longest (3 yrs) and am the one the treacherous others. I am the one that gets called a lot if there are questions. Other people I work with comment how I should be supervisor or just how he does nothing and I am better than him. I want to grow within my office, but I don’t think they would move me because I am too good at what I do- the other problem is I love it and as much as I could maybe move elsewhere- there is a chance —- since we have a new boss coming in a few months that my supervisor will be gone and unless someone is coming in from the outside- I would be next in line- or so I hope. I just really want to say something now... I just don’t know how receptive my boss will be. I normally just keep things that bug be to myself- but it’s to the point where he has done like no work since June. He is passing work on to others - who should even be doing the work and don’t have the time and it will cause issues down the road. We really need another person. We should have 4 people and he is basically a .5 . I want to say something because I am not happy and I feel like I get over looked because I am younger and he is friends with the higher ups. Personally I don’t think he is close with the boss boss because he is the only supervisor who isn’t considered a senior. There seems to be some recognition I think that he is lazy. At the time he was made supervisor I was still new- only being there about a year and a few months and still learning. Now that it’s 3 years... you go from the person asking questions to being the one they go to. I am not really sure if I am exactly ready to be supervisor, because I wish I had more experience In Certain areas- but I know I would be a better leader and I care. I also know enough and as it is now I generally go to someone higher than my supervisor with questions because I don’t trust his judgment. I also seem to know more than him- probably because I constantly try to learn. I know my numbers are better than his.

So the question is- do I just say nothing and maybe say it to the new boss who comes in- I hear they need to reinterview us or do something now. Personally I want to say something. I know my boss says I am one of his favorites- I’ve heard many people say he says that about me- but idk how true that is. I also tend to just say nothing and carry on. I would likely be looking for another job- but what I want to do there aren’t openings so- I am just waiting for that right time and place.

I have considered maybe applying somewhere with a coworker I use to work for- he mentioned the job today and I think I could get it- pay is more... and do what he is doing... go back to our office when the new person comes in if they make some changes.

I just don’t know if my office will miss me. I do a lot of work- but I find my job not very difficult. I enjoy it. I like being good at it. Idk if just anyone can be very good at it. Most people want to be a different department, but I love my department. Personally there isn’t much advancement other than supervisor...but my goal is really to eventually work at a higher office- doing a lot of the stuff I already do. I could get higher if I moved to a different department but personally- I would rather just stay and be supervisor and leave when the job I want has a spot.

I'm understanding that you're not happy with your current boss but you would like to grow in another position with more responsibility. My suggestion is to speak with your boss one on one and express your desire for more growth and negotiate other compensation. There may be room to create a position for you, perhaps a senior accounts manager or another senior position for your department. Realistically, three years is not long so try not to have unrealistic expectations.

Remove the idea of dethroning anyone. It's a bit suspect and immature. Perhaps you were doing it to be entertaining. It's not very professional. Stay within the realms of growth and forward movement for yourself. Be earnest and honest about where you are at and request a meeting with your boss before he leaves. Have something prepared by way of what you've accomplished in the company without being cocky or rude.

Go easy with the office politics. Don't leave any room for that in your professionalism or desire for more growth.

IMO - don’t talk bad about your supervisor. If he’s lazy and you are really the one that people go to - let this speak for itself. Don’t be afraid to talk about your own accomplishments. That’s great! But IMO, when you talk bad about others, people tend to lose trust.

My advice would be to talk to your boss about advancement opportunities. Let him know that you are eager to progress in your career and ask them what skills you can work on to get there. Ask if there are any courses you can take or if there are projects that can help you advance, etc. In other words - make it about you and your ambitions and accomplishments rather than complaining about your supervisor.

In my opinion, people respond much better to ambition and drive than complaints. And in my experience, often, people who are lazy or underperforming don’t go unnoticed for long.

If you feel that you have hit a ceiling at your current position, then imo it's best to move departments rather than try to back-stab your supervisor no matter whether you feel entitled to his position. People will not respect you if you use backstabbing means to get rid of him and your boss boss may think that you could also do that to him if circumstances ever lead to that i.e. he will be unable to trust you. Displaying ruthlessness will probably lead to distrust imo.

Throwing your supervisor under the bus in order to make yourself look better is a career limiting move and will absolutely backfire on you.

If you are interested in moving up in your organization, mention to your boss that you are looking for the opportunity and find out what it would take to get there.

Start taking courses or classes that would improve your overall upward mobility and job placement. Do you have an MBA or any other specific training to be in a managerial position?

Retool your resume. Get an excellent profile on LinkedIn. List all your education, training and experience. Mention whatever professional organizations you are in. Start making "connections" by uploading your contact lists. Make sure any other public social media you have does not have career-killing content. Keep in mind, current and future employers and hiring personnel have access to all that...and they can and will look at it.

Stop gossiping with office personal about what a lazy ass this manager is and how you do a better job. That in itself is career killing and extremely unprofessional. That alone could be why you are repeatedly overlooked for better positions. Being catty or petty is never viewed as management material.

Life lesson ~ Do not speak badly of others in an attempt to either make yourself look better or to get what you want.

You never get anywhere talking smack about someone, especially your boss. (trust me, I have the boss from hell)

Apply for the position and share the positive attributes that you bring to the table and leave others out of it.

Everyone here has given great advice. I will add this...don't let people blow smoke up your butt/ pump your tires. Keep your nose on the grindstone, and stay out of the office gossip. You will earn more respect if you show strength, leadership, professionalism and work hard. Playing into other peoples bs, getting all pissy/emotional about it, complaining, doesn't make you supervisor material. It makes you look weak.

Never ever talk bad about somebody. Never. Not only at work but in your personal life too. Bad-mouthing other people will make you look miserable and grumpy and people will avoid you. Even if you hate someone, just say something positive about him/her and stop there. Nice works.

Never ever talk bad about somebody. Never. Not only at work but in your personal life too. Bad-mouthing other people will make you look miserable and grumpy and people will avoid you. Even if you hate someone, just say something positive about him/her and stop there. Nice works.

Yes! Others' behavior speaks for them, our own speaks for us. Credit your management team for seeing the obvious and don't insult them by pointing it out to them. That will reflect on you badly.

Archived