Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: Crushes and friends

Crushes and friends

So, my friend, who I will call r, and me were chatting. We discovered that we both used to have a crush on mutual friend a. R and me were talking about how crazy that was and about how r needed to tell a. I met up with a later this week, and, thinking r had told her, started talking about how it was crazy that me and r had a crush on her. It turns out that a has a crush on r now, and didnít believe me about r liking her. I texted r about this, and she was very upset that I had told a about r liking her. R is in her first ever relationship right now, and it is with a guy that me and a donít know. What should I do to repair the friendship and ease the romantic tension between r and a?

Stay out of your friend's love lives. Learn that a good friend can be confided in and not spread stuff around. Don't betray your friends like this.
    Originally Posted by Lily1578
    me and r had a crush on her. R is in her first ever relationship right now, and it is with a guy that me and a donít know.

R told me she was going to tell a, and I didnít know she didnít, I brought it up so we could have a laugh about how we all used to like each other, I also didnít know that a kinda still liked r

My head is spinning...

Same man, same

R (a girl) is upset that A (a guy) knows about her feelings while she's in a relationship with someone else. They're all friends/know each other.

Yes, it was inappropriate for you to speak about your friends so loosely. Apologize to both of them (R and A) and excuse yourself out of this situation. I would also shut down any ideas from A and explain that your friend is unavailable and please be respectful. R is probably more upset at your betrayal of confidence. Your friendship there may have taken a hit. Be realistic with that friendship. Next time, don't do this again. If you feel you're getting excited about your crushes and talk about that sort of thing, cool yourself off before hanging out with your friends.

Let it blow over, maybe she'll forgive you. But next time don't gossip.
    Originally Posted by Lily1578
    R told me she was going to tell a, and I didnít know she didnít, I brought it up so we could have a laugh about how we all used to like each other, I also didnít know that a kinda still liked r

Platinum Member
    Be honest - if A asked you on a date right now, would you say ďyesĒ?

I canít help but feel (and Iím sure R feels this way) that you had ďotherĒ motives for telling A about Rís crush. Especially now that R is in a relationship and is unavailable.

I mean... itís not that funny? Itís a vague chuckle at best?

It wasnít your story to tell. I can understand if R feels betrayed. I think you should just apologize and stay out of it... and most importantly, donít be putting any moves on A. Perception is reality in this situation. Right now, IMO, the perception would be that you were trying to sabotage any potential they may have had.

Stay out of this. Don't be messy.

Mind your own business and focus on your own life otherwise you will ruin your friendships.

Be smart. Don't get involved and play it safe!

Give Advice
Ask For Advice