Health Changes

Jetta

Ok I'm 45, at 45 my grandpa died, my cousin died, my dad at 45 had a triple by pass and lived for 18 years. My health though still good is starting to change. Cholesterol borderline high, I have 3 months to reduce it or start expensive meds. I'm back on WW.

But I'm seeing the signs if how I'll die. It's making me depressed. I've talked to my therapist about it, he said focus on the changes you can make. So I'm trying to, but I'm fighting a strong family history of heart disease. I now know cancer or heart disease will get me. One day. I've had yet another cancer scare this year.

I feel like i have an expiration date 10 to 15 years. I'm ok with it in some ways but have my reservations.

Accepting death is not easy for a lot of people. You're not alone. What I tend to do is look back and ask myself if I'm happy with the way I've lived my life and what I'm leaving behind. This might sound a bit morbid but you might look into a will or make arrangements for your family in anticipation of your passing. It seems to be taboo to talk about but I'm ok with it. Actually I feel better knowing things are ok for my family members in the aftermath. These are all practical concerns.

Don't be one of those people worried about dying so much that you forget to live. You'll be come a big downer and no one wants to be around that. Try and be grateful for all the life you've lived.

My dad is 73 and his father passed at 36 years of age due to heart disease. A lot of people have died young on my dads side due to heart or stroke. My dad and my cousins and I have been healthy.

Truth is you don’t know what you’ll die from. You will die like everybody else but it doesn’t mean it will be while you’re still young.

I’m happy you recognize the need to get healthier because that will increase the quality of your life.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion in the least. In part because environmental factors matter too. My cholesterol has been problematic too -it's genetic unfortunately. But no meds.

What I would do - get to a healthy weight you can maintain, be conscious of your food choices and portions, exercise at least 5 times a week and move yourself every day -walking, running, stair climbing, dancing, whatever - and don't smoke, etc. You do have control over all of those choices and more. Good luck!

Nobody knows how they'll die, unless they are literally on their deathbed.

You could have perfect genetics and get hit by a bus tomorrow, nuclear war might kill us all without warning, the Yellowstone volcano might explode or an undetected asteroid might hit the planet.

All those things are outside of our control, so worrying about it is pointless. Similarly, know your risks, eat well, be active and live a healthy lifestyle, but stop worrying about things beyond your control.

Archived