Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Advice on what to do, so confused...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6

    Advice on what to do, so confused...

    Hi Guys,
    Hope you are all well. Came across this site whilst trawling for some advice from neutral people, not friends or family who can have a bias. Any advice would be well appreciated as I am going around in circles in my mind.
    Im 36 and my girlfriend is 32, not married, no kids and have been together for 4yrs. We have lived together for 3yrs and both have good jobs and are generally normal ish I guess...We have been arguing a lot over the last 18mnths, sort of bickering, my GF can be fiery (this is probably what attracted me to her in the first place) and says hurtful things when in a temper. Im not saying im perfect by the way but when arguing I try not say nasty cutting comments as I know they last. I would probably say that in the last 6mnths we have been in a ‘bad place’, arguing, sex has dropped right off, both sort of do things separately and life has just become about going to bed and getting up for work...
    During a recent argument my partner said her feelings have changed for me, she didnt want to be in the relationship and she didnt want children with me, these were said as she was angry and she says things to hurt. This obviously shocked and hurt me but she said after ‘oh I didn't mean it’ as this to me is what you say at the ‘end’ if a relationship! I would never say these things to the person I supposedly LOVED! So we are were in a sort it out sort of period of the relationship when my GF says she wants to get a dog...I explained to her that I don't think its the right time as we should really be concentrating on us and I didn't wan the responsibility of a dog as it would add more stress to an already stressed relationship. Anyway...I drove 800miles to get the dog and she has paid for it all because she said that she deserves a dog and I would get used to it, yes I know it was soft of me to do but I didn't want her to be unhappy...so the dogs here, he is great but I still didnt want a dog and as I expected life is about the dog now and not us! So Im just stuck in no mans land thinking of the nasty comments she said and that I cant forget them and also the dog has caused more stress....She says the comments were nothing and that she wants to be with me but the closeness has gone and she also blames me for the sex as I ‘havent tried it on with her!’. I just am so confused on if i should end it or am I being too sensitive to the comments and the fact she got a dog when I didnt want it? Im 36 now, would like children and to be really happy. I dont know what to do as I dont want hurt her but we are walking around in a weird mood, she pretends like nothing ever happened...

  2. #2
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    34,849
    Gender
    Male
    Sorry this is happening. You're incompatible,camped in oppose corners and simply antagonizing and wearing each other down. You want this, she wants that. Whatever she wants you don't. Whatever you want she doesn't.

    You have basically decided to be enemy-roommates. Do you want to spend your life bickering and at each other's throats? The dog is a symptom, not the problem. Unfortunately it's easier to keep harping on the dog thing than it is to face the facts and either learn to get along or get out.
    Originally Posted by Daz113
    During a recent argument my partner said her feelings have changed for me, she didnt want to be in the relationship and she didnt want children with me,
    I still didnt want a dog and as I expected life is about the dog now
    she got a dog when I didnt want it?
    Im 36 now, would like children and to be really happy.

  3. #3
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    132
    Gender
    Female
    The dog is her safety net & substitute child.

    You two either need to learn to communicate better & fight fair or break up. There is no middle ground. Where you are not is a bad place. Can you talk to her calmly about how you interact when you are upset? See what you can both do to change the pattern. It's OK to say to your partner when very angry "I'm too upset & emotional to deal with this right now. Can we table it before I say something I will regret?"

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the comments...its weird you say about the dog being a substitute child as I want children and she is always saying the times not right...

    I really do try and communicate normally but the talking ends up in her being the victim all the time and then it gets heated. No argument is ‘sorted’ its more just pushed under the carpet. Im trying to forget the nasty comments said but finding it hard...

    The dog is just bringing more stress to an already stressed relationship! As I told her before getting it...

  5.  

  6. #5
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    34,849
    Gender
    Male
    Unfortunately you are both acting like victims. Victims of each other....and the dog, of course. That and the contempt, the excessive need to argue and both needing to be right and the other is always wrong and incompatibility makes one wonder why you don't just move out. You do not want this to work. You want to pout and whine about the dog🐶😥
    Originally Posted by Daz113
    the talking ends up in her being the victim all the time and then it gets heated.

    Im trying to forget the nasty comments said but finding it hard...

    The dog is just bringing more stress to an already stressed relationship! As I told her before getting it...

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6
    I understand what your saying @Wiseman2 but im not acting like any victim...I genuinely havent done anything wrong but try to please someone and talk about issues like an adult...

    Like you say it could just be incompatibility, its just a bitter pill to swallow I guess

  8. #7
    Silver Member definitely_maybe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    451
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by Daz113
    No argument is ‘sorted’ its more just pushed under the carpet. Im trying to forget the nasty comments said but finding it hard...
    This is the statement that stands out the most for me. Arguments are hard. It can be very challenging not to say hurtful things when emotions run high. However, if these hurtful arguments keep doing damage to you, without you feeling like the damage is being repaired, the relationship will not last a lifetime.

    Also, this one:

    Originally Posted by Daz113
    she also blames me for the sex as I ‘havent tried it on with her!’
    Can you honestly say she is wrong here? Do you try to initiate at the wrong times, get discouraged, and fail to work towards the scenario you know she enjoys most? Just a thought, maybe I'm off base here.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for your reply! I know everyone argues is natural but I really do try and sort things like an adult without saying hurtful things...I do believe you shouldn't say cutting nasty comments because once you have said them you cant take them back. Comments like ‘I dont want to be in this relationship anymore’ ‘Thats why I dont want children with you!’ and ‘My feelings have changed for you but if you make an effort we can change that..’
    These comments we not meant apparently...but I cant forget them at the monent and at a time when we should be focusing on us, she goes and gets a dog.
    Is this really normal behaviour??

  10. #9
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    34,849
    Gender
    Male
    When people speak the truth, listen. Normal or not, she wants out but doesn't have the integrity to do it. Forget the dog. The relationship is on it's last leg with this kind of contempt.
    Originally Posted by Daz113
    ‘I dont want to be in this relationship anymore’
    ‘Thats why I dont want children with you!’
    ‘My feelings have changed for you but if you make an effort we can change that..’

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    6
    @Wiseman2 Yep well aware that when people speak I should listen, which is what I do...I do not ask for comments like this to be made to me, I was asking for advice if comments like this were common place and excusable...or not. The dog situation was merely the most recent situation that has exacerbated things and it felt my partner chose getting a dog over sorting issues in the relationship, I feel this is a normal thought from myself but I appreciate your response

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •