Expecting to be put on blood pressure meds

Seraphim

Some hypertension Rx meds adverse side effects include very bad fatigue as if you could take a nap all day or make you feel like the walking dead. Sometimes you have to try various meds before you find the right one that works for your body, adjust dosages and the like.

Also, greatly reduce your sodium consumption.

I'm sorry you're going through your hard life, Seraphim. I hope for better, sunnier days for you.

Some hypertension Rx meds adverse side effects include very bad fatigue as if you could take a nap all day or make you feel like the walking dead. Sometimes you have to try various meds before you find the right one that works for your body, adjust dosages and the like.

Also, greatly reduce your sodium consumption.

I'm sorry you're going through your hard life, Seraphim. I hope for better, sunnier days for you.

I never never add salt to my food ever. I haven’t since I was 19 . My dad had his first heart attack at 39, when I was 19. So I have never cooked with salt or added salt since. I never had hypertension a day in my life until I had my nervous breakdown seven years ago . My doctors are convinced it’s caused by my anxiety but it’s come to the point where I had a medical emergency yesterday so something has to be done .

I never never add salt to my food ever. I haven’t since I was 19 . My dad had his first heart attack at 39, when I was 19. So I have never cooked with salt or added salt since. I never had hypertension a day in my life until I had my nervous breakdown seven years ago . My doctors are convinced it’s caused by my anxiety but it’s come to the point where I had a medical emergency yesterday so something has to be done .

Under your doctor's guidance, sometimes you'll have to experiment with different meds and dosages until you find the right one that works for you.

It's good that you watch your salt intake. I add salt to my cooking but I only salt to taste and NEVER make it taste too salty. My food doesn't taste as salty as take out food, restaurant food or convenience food. I avoid salty food because I don't like the taste nor is it healthy anyway.

I'm sorry about your dad's heart attack at such a young age! :upset:

Under your doctor's guidance, sometimes you'll have to experiment with different meds and dosages until you find the right one that works for you.

It's good that you watch your salt intake. I add salt to my cooking but I only salt to taste and NEVER make it taste too salty. My food doesn't taste as salty as take out food, restaurant food or convenience food. I avoid salty food because I don't like the taste nor is it healthy anyway.

I'm sorry about your dad's heart attack at such a young age! :upset:

Oh I wouldn’t worry about that . That was just the start of his troubles. He has had 4 more heart attacks since, 11 TIA’s and he is a severe diabetic on dialysis.

If you have a low sodium diet then more than likely your doctor is correct. There is also a genetic component to hypertension as well.

To address some myths. Yes, it’s great to reduce your salt intake but in a healthy individual with healthy kidneys, the sodium is excreted and kept at your body’s proper level (between 135-145 mEq). In the ER, I’ve actually never seen anyone win a critically high sodium that’s related to salt intake, it’s always been related to a physiological problem. I have, however, seen people with critically low sodium either through a decreased sodium intake, excessive water intake, or a combination of the two. Sodium is the most important electrolyte for your brain and is involved in the transmission of nerve signals. Effects of low sodium include seizure. So, just be careful that you’re taking in the proper amount of sodium - which can be achieved through a healthy diet, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.

If you have a low sodium diet then more than likely your doctor is correct. There is also a genetic component to hypertension as well.

To address some myths. Yes, it’s great to reduce your salt intake but in a healthy individual with healthy kidneys, the sodium is excreted and kept at your body’s proper level (between 135-145 mEq). In the ER, I’ve actually never seen anyone win a critically high sodium that’s related to salt intake, it’s always been related to a physiological problem. I have, however, seen people with critically low sodium either through a decreased sodium intake, excessive water intake, or a combination of the two. Sodium is the most important electrolyte for your brain and is involved in the transmission of nerve signals. Effects of low sodium include seizure. So, just be careful that you’re taking in the proper amount of sodium - which can be achieved through a healthy diet, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.

I just have the sodium that already exists in food. I don’t over drink water as I hate water.

Before my nervous break down my blood pressure was always 110/70 even when pregnant. After my nervous break down it shot up to 135/100. Yesterday it spiked to 180/120 and I actual fell trying to walk. My appointment is the 25th.

I'm sorry Seraphim and I'm sorry about your dad's poor health. Hope the doctor can help you a lot on the 25th.

Yes, I have been for 7 years. I can only take clonazepam because I get serotonin Syndrome from SSRI’s. Plus some weird kind of psychosis where furniture walks. I took 25 mg of Zoloft for 20 days and almost died . I couldn’t sleep for almost 20 days ,I couldn’t eat I couldn’t drink ,all I did was pace night and day. All I could hear were bees buzzing in my head . I had twitches all over. I lost 30 pounds. Lucky I was taking clonazepam at the same time . My dr at the time said never again that classification of med . But I live in a new city and have a different doctor now .

I forgot to add: since your doctor thinks it’s anxiety related, has he put you on anti-anxiety meds to see if those help? Just curious.
Yes, I have been for 7 years. I can only take clonazepam because I get serotonin Syndrome from SSRI’s. Plus some weird kind of psychosis where furniture walks. I took 25 mg of Zoloft for 20 days and almost died . I couldn’t sleep for almost 20 days ,I couldn’t eat I couldn’t drink ,all I did was pace night and day. All I could hear were bees buzzing in my head . I had twitches all over. I lost 30 pounds. Lucky I was taking clonazepam at the same time . My dr at the time said never again that classification of med . But I live in a new city and have a different doctor now .

Makes sense. If I had to “pick my poisons,” I’d much rather that an anti-hypertensive than an anti-anxiety med. Either way, if you’re curious about possible side effects, drugs.com is a good resource.

Side effects depend on the type of anti-hypertensive medication...with some (ACE inhibitors, like lisinopril), you can have sort of a dry, annoying cough. But side effects of these meds are usually pretty mild, and it's better than having high BP.

My advice for you is to follow your doctor's advice and also take care when sitting up/standing up. Sometimes when people take BP meds, especially multiple at a time, it can make it so your BP drops too low when you sit up/stand up (orthostatic hypotension) and this can make you feel dizzy at best, or take a tumble at the worst. If this happens, tell your doctor so that he can adjust your dosage. Be sure to keep yourself hydrated as well.

Side effects depend on the type of anti-hypertensive medication...with some (ACE inhibitors, like lisinopril), you can have sort of a dry, annoying cough. But side effects of these meds are usually pretty mild, and it's better than having high BP.

My advice for you is to follow your doctor's advice and also take care when sitting up/standing up. Sometimes when people take BP meds, especially multiple at a time, it can make it so your BP drops too low when you sit up/stand up (orthostatic hypotension) and this can make you feel dizzy at best, or take a tumble at the worst. If this happens, tell your doctor so that he can adjust your dosage. Be sure to keep yourself hydrated as well.

Annoying cough doesn’t sound fun as I have one from asthma already . But as you said better than high bp.

Annoying cough doesn’t sound fun as I have one from asthma already . But as you said better than high bp.

If you find it really intolerable, they can always try a different class of anti-hypertensive drugs for you. You have a LOT of options and I'm sure you're going to find one that works that you find tolerable. :)

I've been on blood pressure meds for over 20 years. Mine caused nightmares for the first couple of weeks but that stopped.

My doctor recently put me on a second med. My blood pressure was elevated despite being on medication. The new one makes me drowsy and causes weird dreams (not bad ones this time). No other side effects that I've noticed.

Eh, nightmares are a horror . My C- PTSD gave me horrific ones nightly for 35 years. Took EMDR to get rid of that. Hopefully it goes away fast . Tired I don’t need . I am already exhausted daily .

I've been on blood pressure meds for over 20 years. Mine caused nightmares for the first couple of weeks but that stopped.

My doctor recently put me on a second med. My blood pressure was elevated despite being on medication. The new one makes me drowsy and causes weird dreams (not bad ones this time). No other side effects that I've noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived