Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expecting to be put on blood pressure meds

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared

Expecting to be put on blood pressure meds

Are there any hideous side effects anyone has experienced or just minor ones?

Some hypertension Rx meds adverse side effects include very bad fatigue as if you could take a nap all day or make you feel like the walking dead. Sometimes you have to try various meds before you find the right one that works for your body, adjust dosages and the like.

Also, greatly reduce your sodium consumption.

I'm sorry you're going through your hard life, Seraphim. I hope for better, sunnier days for you.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    Some hypertension Rx meds adverse side effects include very bad fatigue as if you could take a nap all day or make you feel like the walking dead. Sometimes you have to try various meds before you find the right one that works for your body, adjust dosages and the like.

Also, greatly reduce your sodium consumption.

I'm sorry you're going through your hard life, Seraphim. I hope for better, sunnier days for you.
    I never never add salt to my food ever. I havenít since I was 19 . My dad had his first heart attack at 39, when I was 19. So I have never cooked with salt or added salt since. I never had hypertension a day in my life until I had my nervous breakdown seven years ago . My doctors are convinced itís caused by my anxiety but itís come to the point where I had a medical emergency yesterday so something has to be done .

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    I never never add salt to my food ever. I havenít since I was 19 . My dad had his first heart attack at 39, when I was 19. So I have never cooked with salt or added salt since. I never had hypertension a day in my life until I had my nervous breakdown seven years ago . My doctors are convinced itís caused by my anxiety but itís come to the point where I had a medical emergency yesterday so something has to be done .
    Under your doctor's guidance, sometimes you'll have to experiment with different meds and dosages until you find the right one that works for you.

It's good that you watch your salt intake. I add salt to my cooking but I only salt to taste and NEVER make it taste too salty. My food doesn't taste as salty as take out food, restaurant food or convenience food. I avoid salty food because I don't like the taste nor is it healthy anyway.

I'm sorry about your dad's heart attack at such a young age!

Read up on it: [Register to see the link]

Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    Under your doctor's guidance, sometimes you'll have to experiment with different meds and dosages until you find the right one that works for you.

It's good that you watch your salt intake. I add salt to my cooking but I only salt to taste and NEVER make it taste too salty. My food doesn't taste as salty as take out food, restaurant food or convenience food. I avoid salty food because I don't like the taste nor is it healthy anyway.

I'm sorry about your dad's heart attack at such a young age!
    Oh I wouldnít worry about that . That was just the start of his troubles. He has had 4 more heart attacks since, 11 TIAís and he is a severe diabetic on dialysis.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    If you have a low sodium diet then more than likely your doctor is correct. There is also a genetic component to hypertension as well.

To address some myths. Yes, itís great to reduce your salt intake but in a healthy individual with healthy kidneys, the sodium is excreted and kept at your bodyís proper level (between 135-145 mEq). In the ER, Iíve actually never seen anyone win a critically high sodium thatís related to salt intake, itís always been related to a physiological problem. I have, however, seen people with critically low sodium either through a decreased sodium intake, excessive water intake, or a combination of the two. Sodium is the most important electrolyte for your brain and is involved in the transmission of nerve signals. Effects of low sodium include seizure. So, just be careful that youíre taking in the proper amount of sodium - which can be achieved through a healthy diet, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.

I know about it. All my dadís family dies of heart attack or stroke or combo of it. I just want to know how crappy I am going to feel on these meds.
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Read up on it: [Register to see the link]

Originally Posted by AviationNut
    If you have a low sodium diet then more than likely your doctor is correct. There is also a genetic component to hypertension as well.

To address some myths. Yes, itís great to reduce your salt intake but in a healthy individual with healthy kidneys, the sodium is excreted and kept at your bodyís proper level (between 135-145 mEq). In the ER, Iíve actually never seen anyone win a critically high sodium thatís related to salt intake, itís always been related to a physiological problem. I have, however, seen people with critically low sodium either through a decreased sodium intake, excessive water intake, or a combination of the two. Sodium is the most important electrolyte for your brain and is involved in the transmission of nerve signals. Effects of low sodium include seizure. So, just be careful that youíre taking in the proper amount of sodium - which can be achieved through a healthy diet, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.
    I just have the sodium that already exists in food. I donít over drink water as I hate water.

Before my nervous break down my blood pressure was always 110/70 even when pregnant. After my nervous break down it shot up to 135/100. Yesterday it spiked to 180/120 and I actual fell trying to walk. My appointment is the 25th.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice