Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 122

Thread: Bf won't let go of the fact that I slept w/ someone before getting exclusive

  1. #111
    Platinum Member bluecastle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,820
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by somegirl313
    I’ve thought about breaking up with him before, I know I probably should but I just can’t seem to get myself to do it because I love him... there’s a voice inside of me telling me that he is my soulmate and that I shouldn’t let him go. Again, this is the only issue we ever fight about. We never fight about anything else.
    Listen, we get it. Holly, I suspect, gets it, and Holly is a boon to this community because, in getting it, she pulls no punches in wanting to share her earned wisdom through the bullhorn.

    Here's the thing: that "voice inside" is a voice that really has nothing to do with him, or this, or love. Read that sentence two more times. It's the voice we all have that whispers to us about a future of forever love under the rainbows. It soothes us when we're lonely, that voice, with promises of tomorrow. It is our own little Hollywood studio, putting on a show so we can get a break on a hard day.

    It's an important voice, in that it can guide us to what we want, but it can be a dangerous voice, in that it can get us stuck. When your "only issue" is a man who, once or twice a week, makes you cry by saying vulgar, degrading things to you, making you feel like trash instead of cherished, it is not "only" something to work through or learn to deal with. It's not a sponge left in the sink, or a toilet seat left up, but more like someone who likes stick your face in the toilet and make you eat the sponge after doing the dishes.

    You know this. If you and I were hanging out a year ago, say, and you told me what you expected from a soulmate I don't think it would include a man who, after sex with you, says what he says after having sex with you. And I think if I told you that my future soulmate was a woman who made me feel like dirt for having had sex with someone before being with her, I think, if you cared about me, you would nudge me to try to see that something was up with me to make me even entertain that thought.

  2. #112
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,078
    Originally Posted by somegirl313
    I’ve thought about breaking up with him before, I know I probably should but I just can’t seem to get myself to do it because I love him... there’s a voice inside of me telling me that he is my soulmate and that I shouldn’t let him go. Again, this is the only issue we ever fight about. We never fight about anything else.
    Don't you think that you should love yourself more?

    This issue is significant. He is not your soulmate, as a soulmate would not hurt someone like this. You should NOT be fighting about this at all!

    He enjoys hurting you!

  3. #113
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,078
    Originally Posted by bluecastle
    Listen, we get it. Holly, I suspect, gets it, and Holly is a boon to this community because, in getting it, she pulls no punches in wanting to share her earned wisdom through the bullhorn.

    Here's the thing: that "voice inside" is a voice that really has nothing to do with him, or this, or love. Read that sentence two more times. It's the voice we all have that whispers to us about a future of forever love under the rainbows. It soothes us when we're lonely, that voice, with promises of tomorrow. It is our own little Hollywood studio, putting on a show so we can get a break on a hard day.

    It's an important voice, in that it can guide us to what we want, but it can be a dangerous voice, in that it can get us stuck. When your "only issue" is a man who, once or twice a week, makes you cry by saying vulgar, degrading things to you, making you feel like trash instead of cherished, it is not "only" something to work through or learn to deal with. It's not a sponge left in the sink, or a toilet seat left up, but more like someone who likes stick your face in the toilet and make you eat the sponge after doing the dishes.

    You know this. If you and I were hanging out a year ago, say, and you told me what you expected from a soulmate I don't think it would include a man who, after sex with you, says what he says after having sex with you. And I think if I told you that my future soulmate was a woman who made me feel like dirt for having had sex with someone before being with her, I think, if you cared about me, you would nudge me to try to see that something was up with me to make me even entertain that thought.
    I don't understand? What do you mean "Holly, I suspect, gets it." Others get it, but you are not certain that I can grasp the situation? Your opinion is coming across as quite superior. I don't understand why you feel it is necessary to explain my posting style to others.
    Last edited by Hollyj; 09-11-2019 at 02:09 PM.

  4. #114
    Platinum Member bluecastle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,820
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    I don't understand? What do you mean "Holly, I suspect, gets it." Others get it, but you are not certain that I can grasp the situation? Your opinion is coming across as quite superior.
    My bad, Holly! I literally mean the same thing as you—lost in translation. The "I suspect" was just me not wanting to put words in your mouth.

    Point being: many of us—you, me, other posters, my mom, my neighbors—have found ourselves in some cringe-y stew of romance. Like you, with you, I am simply trying to point that out in a way that lands rather than meets resistance or deflection. My response quoted was posted because I noticed some resistance to hearing you say something that I sincerely hope OP is able to hear. So that was just me banging the same drum with a different mallet.

  5.  

  6. #115
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,078
    Originally Posted by bluecastle
    My bad, Holly! I literally mean the same thing as you—lost in translation. The "I suspect" was just me not wanting to put words in your mouth.

    Point being: many of us—you, me, other posters, my mom, my neighbors—have found ourselves in some cringe-y stew of romance. Like you, with you, I am simply trying to point that out in a way that lands rather than meets resistance or deflection. My response quoted was posted because I noticed some resistance to hearing you say something that I sincerely hope OP is able to hear. So that was just me banging the same drum with a different mallet.
    Thank you. I did not understand what you were saying. My apologies.

    You bet. I was in a disastrous relationship and took me some time to see the light. We have all been there. In the long run, we have to take care of ourselves, no matter how much we love our partners. There can never be a future where cruelty and abuse are involved. We must accept people for who they are, and not expect them to change, because they won't.

  7. #116
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    34,187
    Gender
    Male
    You need to talk to a trusted adult about this.

    Google "signs of teen dating violence". [Register to see the link]

    Originally Posted by somegirl313
    I’ve thought about breaking up with him before, I know I probably should but I just can’t seem to get myself to do it because I love him... there’s a voice inside of me telling me that he is my soulmate and that I shouldn’t let him go. Again, this is the only issue we ever fight about. We never fight about anything else.

  8. #117
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11,797
    So, you don't want to stop this.

    Be prepared for YEARS of being abused. But hey, who are we to judge? If being berated and shamed is your thing, so be it.

  9. #118
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Hi Somegirl are you still there?

    Here’s what I can say to help:
    So far, your bf has been showing the same behavior:
    He accuses you, put you down, and own you responsible for his insecurities
    So far, your reaction has been the same: give more explanations, crying, begging pleading and hoping he will finally get your point.

    It did not work.

    You two are dancing the same dance and until one of you changes the steps, NOTHING will change. He has shown you that he wouldn’t change. It’s time for you to change. You have to learn how to assert yourself.

    See, you own it to yourself to create a safety environment in which to interact with people. It is your responsibility towards yourself. And when someone violates that safety and disrespects you, that’s the time for you to put your foot down like the strong woman you are deep inside and say: “I refuse to continue this conversation or answer any more questions. I do NOT accept for you to speak to me in that tone”. If he continues, you leave the place and go home. You should also refuse to have any more sexual relations with someone who insults you afterwards. Make that very clear to him NOT by your speech only but by your ACTIONS. Believe me, The only reason he keeps abusing you is because there is no negative consequence for him. He knows his behavior is wrong but he’s too selfish and not courageous enough to stop and change himself.

    But YOU can change. And When you will finally stop the begging and crying, when you will hold your head high and refuse to engage in that interaction, he will resist, he will try to guilt you more etc. Be firm. Do not cave. Go home. Do not be so afraid of losing someone that you accept the unacceptable. That relationship has no chance to work if respecting each other is not part of it. If you don't change the pattern, the disrespect will escalate.

    You talk about love between you too. So far, he and you are killing all the love by your actions. In order to be happy in life, you have to learn how to respect and love yourself. Therapy (for you) would help achieving it.

    Love yourself. Be proud of who you are. You can do it.

  10. #119
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    33
    Yes I’m still here. I’ve been reading all of the advice I’ve received and just letting it sink in. It hurts to come to terms that someone I loved so much and who I thought loved me back as much as he says he does, is actually an abuser. I was so blindly in love with him that I didn’t even realize I was being abused. These last few days have been tough for me, because while breaking up has been on my mind I can’t cut the cord just yet because his birthday is tomorrow

  11. #120
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    11
    Originally Posted by somegirl313
    Yes I’m still here. I’ve been reading all of the advice I’ve received and just letting it sink in. It hurts to come to terms that someone I loved so much and who I thought loved me back as much as he says he does, is actually an abuser. I was so blindly in love with him that I didn’t even realize I was being abused. These last few days have been tough for me, because while breaking up has been on my mind I can’t cut the cord just yet because his birthday is tomorrow
    Even if it wasn't his birthday you would not break up with him because you don't want to. You are just not there.
    The point is: you should not be breaking up with him because we tell you to do so nor should you answer his endless disrespectful questions because he wants you to. Instead, You should learn to listen to your gut and settle what is good for YOU. You came into this forum because you were suffering. We helped you understand that what your boyfriend was doing is abuse. So now, even if you stay in that relation, it is up to you to decide what you're going to do with this behavior of him. Will you continue to "accept" it by acting like a victim (crying, reassuring him etc)? Or you will stand up for yourself? It is up to YOU. That is the first step you have to do. You change your behavior towards him and life in general. It is the only way to built healthy and loving relationship. Good work!!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •