Open Club  ·  87 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Vlogging one’s life

Seraphim

Not sure of the trend but it wouldn't be right for me. I also don't post on Facebook other than commenting and don't post photos so to me it would come across as wanting attention/showing off unless the purpose was just to share with close friends and family - I send emails and texts with photos of our family to those family members and friends who have asked. We also send short video clips to those who want them. But it's different from broadcasting aspects of one's life to hundreds of acquaintances or even strangers. I would think it would bore most people or come across as self-absorbed/braggy. I scroll by those kinds of posts on Facebook - posts that are videos of what the person experienced while skydiving, rock climbing or doing some craft -and especially those where the "hobby" is an MLM and the results from the MLM.

I think there are groups of people who would enjoy that kind of thing -both doing and participating -and would have a positive impression/find it interesting. Just not me.

What do you think about the trend of video blogging aspects of one’s life, adventures, hobbies.

I guess it would depend on your reasoning. To document your life for future generations or to garner attention.

John Lennon video taped, audio recorded and documented a good portion of his life after becoming famous. I think he did it as a novelty for himself, but the footage and information now is historical.

So maybe if you looked at it in the perspective that someday, someone would probably like to see and hear you long after your gone.

Ours would be to document our travels in our life as full time RV ers when we retire as a help and guide for others. We get lots of good ideas from YouTube channels of people currently doing that . What to look for in RVs what to look for in trucks what to look for in pretty much anything .

I think it's more than a trend now. I think it's here to stay. People's mindsets are changing along with technology. A whole generation of people have reached adulthood in a post-internet world. What I considered to be bad judgment when I was 20 (e.g. texting nudes, etc) is now pretty normal behavior! I remember being freaked out when cellphones started to come with cameras. It meant people would be able to take a picture of me without my knowledge. That seemed like a big deal back then! You know, what would they do with the image? But there's SO MUCH of that crap out there now--no one really cares. It's almost like being anonymous again!

My boyfriend and I watched Pump Up the Volume a couple of months ago. I don't know if you remember that movie. It was made in 1990. It was about a pirate radio deejay who incited a revolt in his high school. That movie struck a real chord with me because I felt completely alienated as a teenager. So, I related to it a lot. The movie ends with the protagonist being captured by the FCC, and then closes with broadcasts of other burgeoning pirate radio deejays continuing the 'resistance,' so to speak. It was one of my favorite movies.

But when we watched it recently, we found it to be completely irrelevant. It could never happen in this day and age. First of all, every single person with internet access now has a voice of some sort. And secondly, so many people are yammering that it's become to noisy to hear anything. Furthermore, 'tuning in' to the internet carries the risk of virus or malware attack.

Ours would be to document our travels in our life as full time RV ers when we retire as a help and guide for others. We get lots of good ideas from YouTube channels of people currently doing that . What to look for in RVs what to look for in trucks what to look for in pretty much anything .

Yes I would like that quite a lot and have read articles about that.

Well, that sounds like a great idea then. I say do it. The information can be invaluable.

Whatever you put out there, I think you'll have to be prepared for comments, questions and disagreements. There will plenty of people who might think your vlog is not useful or not very up to date in terms of any information you're sharing. It becomes a product and if you're willing to keep improving that product for consumer (free public) use, then just be mindful of the way it will be used and how relevant it would be to your viewers.

If you're just doing it for yourselves (your family), I'd keep to something more along the lines of video journaling (a private experience) shared with your family members only and a method of looking back at memories and tweaking your methods for RVing etc.

Another option is to start the recordings and see what kind of material you come up with over a period of one to two months. If it's not what you expected or kind of a daft idea, then scrap it. You might also ask for feedback from extended family or good friends (a select group whom you feel would be impartial and honest with you). If you think you've got something good, post it up and see what happens.

Disable the comments, is my suggestion.

As you can see even from this forum, some people search for other people to argue with or insult online because they have nothing else to do.

I have checked out the You Tube videos of places I plan to visit. I watched a couple of videos posted by a couple that enjoys visiting Cabo San Lucas. It gave me good ideas of what to see when I go there.

Disable the comments, is my suggestion.

As you can see even from this forum, some people search for other people to argue with or insult online because they have nothing else to do.

I have checked out the You Tube videos of places I plan to visit. I watched a couple of videos posted by a couple that enjoys visiting Cabo San Lucas. It gave me good ideas of what to see when I go there.

Yup you can disable comments.

Yup you can disable comments.

What's the point of disabling comments though? I've always thought of it as a rather strange way to communicate with the public - to dare one's self to put intimate details out there but not having the courage to hear other points of view. Is that more or less what you're aiming for? It seems more fitting as a personal journal (in video format) and not really vlogging per say.

It is not really for “ view points “ though.

What's the point of disabling comments though? I've always thought of it as a rather strange way to communicate with the public - to dare one's self to put intimate details out there but not having the courage to hear other points of view. Is that more or less what you're aiming for? It seems more fitting as a personal journal (in video format) and not really vlogging per say.
It is not really for “ view points “ though.

Hm... not really sure I get your drift but ok. It's just a personal video journal you're publicizing (or at least that's what I think you're saying). Most vlogs I've followed in the past were open to comments and the people vlogging were open to comments, suggestions and new ideas to vlog about. If it's RVs in this case and I was vlogging RV life I'd want to know more about what the viewers might want and how to improve or any other areas I can cover in a vlog that might be helpful to other RVers or potential RV buyers and or others into the lifestyle. I'd probably want to connect with others in the lifestyle too and bounce back and forth more ideas. I wouldn't be stuck in my own head or my own way of doing things without knowing what others think too.

I always thought it was a two-way street but maybe that's not the case for some. I'm not meaning to sway you or anything especially if you have a good idea of what you want to do. I hope it works out. It sounds like a fun hobby and I've always wanted to own an RV!

I think it's more than a trend now. I think it's here to stay. People's mindsets are changing along with technology. A whole generation of people have reached adulthood in a post-internet world. What I considered to be bad judgment when I was 20 (e.g. texting nudes, etc) is now pretty normal behavior! I remember being freaked out when cellphones started to come with cameras. It meant people would be able to take a picture of me without my knowledge. That seemed like a big deal back then! You know, what would they do with the image? But there's SO MUCH of that crap out there now--no one really cares. It's almost like being anonymous again!

My boyfriend and I watched Pump Up the Volume a couple of months ago. I don't know if you remember that movie. It was made in 1990. It was about a pirate radio deejay who incited a revolt in his high school. That movie struck a real chord with me because I felt completely alienated as a teenager. So, I related to it a lot. The movie ends with the protagonist being captured by the FCC, and then closes with broadcasts of other burgeoning pirate radio deejays continuing the 'resistance,' so to speak. It was one of my favorite movies.

But when we watched it recently, we found it to be completely irrelevant. It could never happen in this day and age. First of all, every single person with internet access now has a voice of some sort. And secondly, so many people are yammering that it's become to noisy to hear anything. Furthermore, 'tuning in' to the internet carries the risk of virus or malware attack.

True , it is all new and strange to me as I was long an adult and a mom before I got the internet. But it it is catching on with me .

Hm... not really sure I get your drift but ok. It's just a personal video journal you're publicizing (or at least that's what I think you're saying). Most vlogs I've followed in the past were open to comments and the people vlogging were open to comments, suggestions and new ideas to vlog about. If it's RVs in this case and I was vlogging RV life I'd want to know more about what the viewers might want and how to improve or any other areas I can cover in a vlog that might be helpful to other RVers or potential RV buyers and or others into the lifestyle. I'd probably want to connect with others in the lifestyle too and bounce back and forth more ideas. I wouldn't be stuck in my own head or my own way of doing things without knowing what others think too.

I always thought it was a two-way street but maybe that's not the case for some. I'm not meaning to sway you or anything especially if you have a good idea of what you want to do. I hope it works out. It sounds like a fun hobby and I've always wanted to own an RV!

Basically, I want to enjoy my retirement not listen to people critique it. ;)

Archived