LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engagement ring, important?

Engagement ring, important?

Quite simple really, my partner and I are 41, been together 3 years and live together with 4 children [between us]

She's a nurse in palliative care, she's f*cking hardcore. She takes her rings off every day. I dont think she wants a big showy ring but then this doesnt happen every day.

Looked online and spent about as much time looking for a ring as I would on Amazon buying socks. So tell me, do I go for a £500 ring or go all in for a really nice one?

Platinum Member Butterfly~Wrists's Avatar
    You can get an amazing ring for £500 and less. Just find something that matches her style and likes.

Are you getting married? Why not ask your gf what she has in mind?
    Originally Posted by Bobby987
    Looked online and spent about as much time looking for a ring as I would on Amazon buying socks.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Are you getting married? Why not ask your gf what she has in mind?
    Agree.

We don’t know what she likes....

Mine was $500 and it was designed for me! You can get great deals! Given her work, she would probably be into a ring that fits close to her skin, without large stones or pointy bits. Maybe you can search for options like that?

You know....the most respectful and considerate thing you can do is ask the person who'll be wearing it, not opinions from a bunch of random strangers online who have no idea what she would like or want.

In medical fields, quite often you can't wear rings at all for all kinds of reasons. That doesn't mean she wouldn't like a nice ring for when she can wear it. Ask her.

I don't know that you can get a nice diamond ring for 500 (pounds or dollars). Is she the type of person who likes really good jewelry or would she be happy with something less exquisite?

You might be able to get a good lab-created stone for that amount of money.

Thanks guys, well with 4 kids we very rarely spend money on ourselves and I cant help but feel she wont like a lot of money spent on it. But then I think maybe deep down, just this time, would she want to be treated special. Its starting to drive me crazy.
    We've talked about marriage and as unromantic as it sounds its just a matter of getting married now. So I want to make a little effort, hence the Paris trip.

So I guess Im asking, any of you early 40's women with kids, what would you like? would you be angry if I spent thousands on a ring, money isnt an issue at all but I cant help but feel shed just say we should have spent it on the kids or saved it. ggrrrr

Buy her socks. 🧦
    Originally Posted by Bobby987
    spent about as much time looking for a ring as I would on Amazon buying socks.

Especially given you've got four children with her, whether that extra £1500+ would be better put into their needs / futures or into the household is definitely a judgment call well within your purview. I don't think you need permission from her to spend less. And you definitely don't need it from us.

I dropped about $600 on the ring I got my now-wife. And I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't have spent near that much but for the fact it wasn't a secret she'd be the one making much more money in the marriage as the doctor and inevitably contributing disproportionately for nice things. It would have been kinda petty if I didn't take the opportunity when I could there. Luckily, she really wanted an opal, so that helped my wallet out quite a bit.

If you wanna spend ~£500, I wouldn't even ask her if she'd rather you spend thousands. Not that I think there's anything wrong if a couple were to be happy spending more. It's just obvious that you're here looking for us to validate your preferred budget. I'd just find some rings that you think she'd like within your budget to start with and give her a say in the style. Build off that until you've found something she'd like to wear. £500 isn't going to get her something particularly luxurious, but there's plenty that are durable and pleasant within that price point.
    Last edited by j.man; 09-23-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice