Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Holy Carp, I'm Getting Married!

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!!

We did decide on the Ides of March, because we started dating on "Remember Remember the 5th of November", lol. So we thought it would be pretty funny to pick another "historical day".

My mom is just full to bursting with excitement. It's so cute. We had a family birthday thing this weekend and I asked her not to say anything because I didn't want to detract from the birthday festivities, she told me she had to really concentrate on not just blurting it out!
    She offered her back yard as a ceremony and reception space. I will consider it, but my initial thought is to veto - she has plants and trees dotting the yard sporadically, so there's not really any cohesive "blank space". And her home is actually quite small, and her AC struggles already, so ultimately, I feel like it would be a really big burden on her house (not her).

I did try to talk to the bf over the weekend about what all he would like (lots of guests, ceremony/reception or just a big celebration, etc) and he told me that he hasn't really thought of the logistics. I gently reminded him that a lot of places need months if not years to take reservations, so the quicker we agree to what we want to do, the better it'll turn out. He is going to make a list of things he'd like and we can decide from there.

I spent the weekend looking at Airbnbs like Bluecastle suggested, and it turns out that my state has a ton of options. There are even places that have little farms with goats, alpacas, and goats!! I think they sound fun, but I'm pretty sure my family would think it was weird, lol. I kind of thought of booking a house that has a bunch of rooms and spaces available for people to crash for a weekend. There are some houses that are huge and have 6, 7, 8 bedrooms, plus the entire house. Of course these for go $300-$800 for a night, but think renting them out for, say, a Friday - Sunday, where it includes all the amenities of a house... well, I feel like it would still be cheaper than a venue that goes for thousands of dollars for a few hours. A lot of bigger houses like that have pools, so we could do a BBQ and pool party thing with a bunch of family and friends? And there was a handful of places like this that had large, private backyards, too. I could ask if they were equipped to handle wedding ceremonies. Idk, it's a thought.

Another option is to have our parents join us for a ceremony at the courthouse, and then rent out a space somewhere for a celebration. We have too many family members and friends between us to have it at a normal-sized house.

But I do like the idea as well of just taking off for a couple days, or like a week, and going somewhere private.

Someone asked if our religions would be an issue with children: we do not want children. Just lots of dogs.

Platinum Member
    Would your religions be a an issue with furbabies???? Just kidding ;-)

I'm so glad you're having fun with the planning and your mom's bursting with the news is just great.
    Love why you chose the Ides of March.
    How about just plan the wedding and on the appointed day "surprise" your fiancee - I mean it's been done with a surprise wedding even when the couple was not engaged -so I heard -so, that's an option lol.

I do like the idea of farm animals (especially since they will not be in your mother's house given the AC issuses ;-)

Your post is so fun and lighthearted!! Enjoy!

We've decided! He wants to go to Disney World. Luckily we live just a few hours away, so we're going to rent an Airbnb for March 14, 15 & 16, a big enough one where we can have a bunch of people come over for a BBQ that Saturday, and then do a ceremony in the backyard on Sunday morning. Then we will spend a few days going to some theme parks!

Feels good to have an idea in mind.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Happy you know what you want !

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by WithLove
    We've decided! He wants to go to Disney World. Luckily we live just a few hours away, so we're going to rent an Airbnb for March 14, 15 & 16, a big enough one where we can have a bunch of people come over for a BBQ that Saturday, and then do a ceremony in the backyard on Sunday morning. Then we will spend a few days going to some theme parks!

Feels good to have an idea in mind.
    Wonderful!!! The second time I was in Disney in the 1990s was when they started having weddings there -I know you're not going to have it at one of the hotels but your post reminded me. That sounds like an awesome plan!!

It feels kind of cool to be doing the celebration first and the ceremony second, but I feel like it will mostly be a formality. We've been living together for 2 years and people are surprised when they learn that we aren't married already.

He did bring up a wedding at Disney, but it's very expensive and they require you to make reservations EIGHTEEN (18!) months in advance!!

That sounds fun! Congrats !

Platinum Member
    It feels kind of cool to be doing the celebration first and the ceremony second, but I feel like it will mostly be a formality. We've been living together for 2 years and people are surprised when they learn that we aren't married already.

He did bring up a wedding at Disney, but it's very expensive and they require you to make reservations EIGHTEEN (18!) months in advance!!
    This reminds me of when my friend got married in the mid 1990s. They'd moved in together and without telling anyone they went to a justice of the peace and got married. But they already had their caholic wedding planned. Right before the wedding she found out her husband hadn't actually gotten his first marriage annulled which I guess meant no catholic wedding. So two weeks before the wedding she told her parents (1) they were already civilly married; and (2) her husband couldn't yet be married in the catholic church. Her religious father had a total meltdown! But the invitations were out, the huge reception planned so we attended her "renewal of the vows" officiated by the catholic priest and enjoyed the awesome italian food at the venue. So, it all worked out (years later he finally got his anullment and they had a small catholic ceremony) . I believe they're still married!

Platinum Member

Its kind of like everybody giving you a send off, so to speak.

Well, we learned very quickly that people want a LOT of money for a ceremony and reception, and we don't really care all that much about putting so much time, money and effort into all of that, so we're changing our plans. We're going to find a park or somewhere around our town and have a quick, intimate ceremony with my good friend (who is ordained) as the minister, and then we're going to meet friends and family at a restaurant later that day. No decorations, no dancing (because he doesn't like to dance), no music - just good food and good people. And then we will head up to Disney World ourselves (and anyone else that wants to go that has annual passes or whatever) for a couple days right after.

I can't wait!! We are going to the jewelry store that a friend of mine works in, who actually repairs and makes the jewelry. We're going to see her on Saturday to design my ring. He has family heirloom tanzanite stones that he got from my mom to put into an engagement ring. He won't let me tell anyone til I have a ring to show off!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice