Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Carp, I'm Getting Married!

Congratulations!

Originally Posted by WithLove
    We have been loosely talking about if we want a ceremony and reception, or none of those, or to get married by a Justice of the Peace and then have a celebration later down the road. I think we are focusing on that last one, because neither of us really cares to have a bunch of people around to witness the marriage, but we do have a lot of friends and family that would like to celebrate the marriage, and of course we would like to do that, too.
    That's what my friends did, and probably what I would do if I ever got married. They eloped somewhere and then just had a big party at their house. It was nice and simple.

AAahh I'm so happy for you!! I love it!

I think the Justice of the Peace idea is a good idea, especially if you want to save some money and don't particularly care about having all of your loved ones around to see the actual marriage ceremony. It also takes the religious question out of it, since you'd be married in a courthouse, not a church or other religious place.

Many great ideas here - I just wanted to offer my congratulations and best wishes! So happy for you both! :)

Congratulations WithLove! Hope the nuptials will have a fabulous marriage!

My friend's daughter had her wedding at her aunt's house. It was either catered or potluck. She had a lovely wedding and saved a lot of money. It was cool indoors with A/C.

The other option would be to get married by the Justice of the Peace and have a potluck or catered reception in someone's home where it is cool. Do you have friends or family who would be willing to help you host this wedding reception?

Since you're Catholic and your fiance is Jewish, would it pose a problem should both of you decide to have children someday? How will the children be raised? Catholic or Jewish? It may not be an issue now but could be should both of you decide to have a family someday. It's something to think about and discuss in advance.

Congrats!!

Some of the museums in my area host weddings. I think they make for really nice photos, especially the museums with interesting architecture or marble staircases. I've actually never been to florida, so I don't know what your museums are like, but it's something to think about.

Congratulations, and wishes for a long and happy marriage. :)

Bronze Member
    Congratulations. Happy planning. You are a bit behind. Most venues book 2 years in advance & some wedding gowns take over a year to make so hop to it & realize your options may be limited.

Check out boards that exist for wedding talk. They may help you with an offbeat venue. Some people use museums. A new trend is renting a huge Airbnb mansion & have a "house" party.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Mine was very simple. We planned it in 6 weeks. I bought my dress off the rack and it fit perfectly. My husband wore his military uniform. We got married in a non denominational chapel. We had the reception at my momís house. Everything was indoors because it was too cold and wet in April.

10 years later we had our marriage Convalidated in the Catholic Church. We only invited our parents and our siblings . Of course our child and my brotherís children .

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by TeeDee
    Congratulations. Happy planning. You are a bit behind. Most venues book 2 years in advance & some wedding gowns take over a year to make so hop to it & realize your options may be limited.

Check out boards that exist for wedding talk. They may help you with an offbeat venue. Some people use museums. A new trend is renting a huge Airbnb mansion & have a "house" party.
    Options may be limited for certain venues and certain dresses. Many of my friends planned large receptions in well under a year in major cities. I don't think the OP is behind in the least especially since it seems to me she is flexible on venue and even flexible on when the reception will happen. Personally unless the people are really young or want a specific type of reception that they need to save money for (or are long distance) two years is far too long to wait to get married just so that the reception can be a specific way. That doesn't have to do with getting married -then the focus is just on the party. That's just my personal opinion -some people plan far more for the party than the marriage and for all I know they go on to have awesome marriages. I preferred to plan our married life more than the party (especially since I was in my second trimester when we got engaged LOL with a totally planned pregnancy!).

Some wedding gowns can take over a year to make. I would question whether a person really wanted to get married if she delayed a year for a specific gown (with rare exception I guess like a celebrity or royalty lol or a person who insisted on remaking a great grandmother's gown, etc).

I really take issue with the opinion (judgment? criticism?) that a future bride is a "bit behind" especially based on the timing put in this post. I don't think the OP's focus is right where it should be (even though it's not for me to say) -she's thrilled to have found the right person, thrilled to be at the stage where they're setting a wedding date, and making the wedding date a priority over what options they may or may not have for a party. Congrats again!!

Big congrAts! I like the idea of tucking the ceremony into a private affair, then celebrating a done deal with loved ones. I would decide first on the size of your guest list, then you can tailor your choice of location to the accommodate the number of people you'll entertain.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice