Query re: MSC nursing, attending BSC nursing lectures

Lady D

Dear lovely people, not sure if anybody may know..

I was lucky enough to get on to a Nursing MSc course however before then had booked a holiday, I would miss three lectures / nursing practice skills days that are important

Does anybody know, could I ask to do these days with the nursing Bsc students / attend Nursing Bsc lectures or practice days instead - like, 3rd year or 2nd year Bsc lectures which might be the same level of 1st year of my Msc

I have a lot of days free first term of the masters to attend other lectures and nursing Bsc would run concurrently

I really want to go on this holiday! Have been waiting a year

I would miss three days and attend all other days, would not skip any other lectures at all as I am so keen to do well on this course

Just wondering whether anybody might know, would course tutors allow it? Don't dare ask until I'm sure in case they refuse and then I will not even be able to use excuse of a sickie if needed!

Thanks so much love Lady D

I mean you either give half a **** or you don't. Sorry to be frank, but it really is that simple. No judgment if you don't. Go on vacation and enjoy your present career. No one here can tell you it isn't good enough. But seriously contemplating asking to miss three lectures or, worse, practice days? Trying to trade for undergrad seminars? Afford them the respect and yourself the dignity of not making such goofy requests. Drop the vacation or drop the program.

I cannot change the dates I don't think unfortunately and in my course there are very few days to take off, this is so precious and important to me, that I am not taking this lightly

I just wondered if it'd be possible, I'm keen to attend all other 100 seminars / practice lectures and will be working in addition to doing the course so the rest of the time would be working hard

I suppose though it does sound lame to say I wish to go on a holiday, the trouble is it was booked before I got on to this course and I never actually dreamed I'd be given such a wonderful opportunity

I may be clutching at straws...thank you

Perhaps the holiday could be traded for another one where I would not miss course lectures or will need to be forfeited as the course matters more!

I'd go directly to your advisor or program coordinator and discuss the issue. Greater problems have been solved in that office, I'm sure of it.

Express you're sorry, for one, for booking this holiday and realizing second that it clashed with the program. Don't come across as if you're entitled to anything. See what they say. It will save you all this agonizing which may be for nothing if you are able to work something out with them. No one here can give you a definitive answer as we are not your program coordinators or able to speak on behalf of your program.

Thank you Rose, yes I think I'll try just being honest and I truly am sorry that the holiday clashes, no sense of entitlement from me here, I appreciate your reply, I think it could be worth a shot to just honestly say how much I do Not wish to miss these lectures but the holiday was booked one year before

That's what I would do. I would leave out the idea about swapping for BSc lectures as this might not be appropriate (the material might be very different) and emphasize more your concerns about catching up on the missed material. You might also want to say you will not let this happen again in the future and be more mindful about all the course dates as you are enrolled in the graduate program.

At the heart of it, it's the missed lectures that you are worried about. Convey that genuine remorse which you're expressing here and let them come up with a solution that might work. I think it's a good idea to check for practice exams also (if you have questions on additional resources) or ask any questions you may have in this meeting about the course in general. Organize yourself a bit and be prepared when you meet with the coordinator or advisor. It'll help you prioritize the course and have a bird's eye view of what's to come. Good job by the way getting in.

Thank you Rose, yes I think I'll try just being honest and I truly am sorry that the holiday clashes, no sense of entitlement from me here, I appreciate your reply, I think it could be worth a shot to just honestly say how much I do Not wish to miss these lectures but the holiday was booked one year before

Yes I would go with what Rose wrote. I have had to make lots of sacrifices for the sake of work and I hear you, it's hard. But if the job is worth it you do it and that's why it's called "work"

This depends. Can you pass without it? Why not review the policies and see what the absentee and/or makeup policies are. If you're going to fret, feel guilty and wring your hands, how enjoyable will the vacation be? Did you get nonrefundable bookings? If 3 days can be made up or somehow missed how much will you kick yourself in the butt if you don't go on vacation?

I just wondered if it'd be possible, I'm keen to attend all other 100 seminars / practice lectures and will be working in addition to doing the course so the rest of the time would be working hard

Archived