Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: When to expect someone to delete tinder

  1. #11
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    34,849
    Gender
    Male
    Making excuses not to meet is a huge red flag. So is texting constantly and getting attached. Don't delete tinder, delete time-wasters like this.

    He may be a scammer, catfish, married etc. Always insist on meeting up for a brief coffee within a few messages and never give out too much personal info or get hooked on texting.

    You haven't even met no less are dating, in a relationship or exclusive. Use common sense when dating. Exchange a few messages, meet up for coffee, decide if you want to go out again..in that order.
    Originally Posted by Sparkle1234
    I joined tinder a couple of weeks
    he said had a bit of a panic about meeting as apparently he struggles socially so for now the meet is off
    notice he has changed his write up which surely he would only do if he is messaging people? A

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    11
    Very good advice thank you. I will definitely look more carefully in to what I am doing in future!

  3. #13
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,370
    You should not be introducing kids for about a year.

    Texting should be at a minimum, if you haven't even met.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,815
    Originally Posted by Sparkle1234
    Hi,
    meeting in a couple of weeks but then yesterday he said had a bit of a panic about meeting as apparently he struggles socially so for now the meet is off until he is ready which is fine with me as we do get on well. We text a lot each day and I am developing feelings for him.
    I had told him I stopped using tinder and asked if he was still messaging on there and he said no he was a one women man etc.
    Anyway this morning I went on Tinder to read back through our early conversation and notice he has changed his write up which surely he would only do if he is messaging people? Am I asking to much to expect him to not be doing this?
    Originally Posted by Sparkle1234
    No we haven't met.
    We had arranged it for in a couple of weeks but yesterday he suddenly said he didn't know what he was looking for so just be friends. After talking on this more he said about his social anxiety and how he is scared of meeting so wants more time.
    I just don't want to be played for an idiot.
    So in the short time you've been messaging, he's already:

    -Lied to you by telling you that no, he's not messaging other women, that he's a one-woman man, yet he changed up his profile the next day.
    -Told you he's "afraid" to meet due to "social awkwardness"
    -Told you he doesn't even know what he's looking for, so "let's be friends"

    And you're wondering if he should delete his profile? I'm wondering if he even exists. Seriously.

    And I'm wondering why you place such little value in yourself that you've already deleted your own profile? Did I hear that correctly? Over someone who won't even meet you?

    The short answer to your thread question, when to expect someone to delete Tinder, is when you're in an exclusive relationship. You haven't even met yet. So, no.

    My advice? Delete & block him, and reactivate your own profile, and start messaging others.

  5.  

  6. #15
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    12,058
    You say you don't want a texting buddy, but you also say you've developed "feelings" for him based on...texts.

    Are you afraid too?

    As for being OK with not wanting to meet yet because of your kids...you weren't planning on introducing him to your kids on the first meet, were you? Caution needs to be used! He could be a predator, he could be a cheating married man, shoot, he could even be a "she" pretending to be a "he".

    And no, you have no way of knowing if "he" is in a relationship because you've never met or spoken. I know of married couples where one of the couple hides their phone or goes into the restroom or claims it's "work" or a "friend" they're texting.

    In essence, you know nothing about this person.

    I'm glad you say you've decided to stop this. I hope you mean it and don't get swayed back by words on your phone screen that take very little effort to type.

  7. #16
    Platinum Member figureitout23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,496
    I think youíre subconsciously playing it safe by entertaining this guy.

    Youíre still kinda fresh out of a very long term relationship and Iím sure youíre consciously thinking you want to Ďget out thereí but youíre not actually doing that, first off youíre on tinder... not exactly known for relationships, next youíre in a bit of a safety bubble, you get the attention of the texts without the risk.

    Honestly it makes sense to me.

    But no this most likely wonít go anywhere, although again deep down I donít think you truly actually wanted it to anyway, itís all fantasy.

    Good luck on your healing, be mindful and careful.

  8. #17
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    9,154
    Originally Posted by Sparkle1234
    Anyway this morning I went on Tinder to read back through our early conversation and notice he has changed his write up which surely he would only do if he is messaging people? Am I asking to much to expect him to not be doing this?
    Yes, very much so.

    As the others have already said, you don't know this person. Unless and until you have been on several dates and have a real conversation about taking things further, it is premature to expect him to delete his profile. The same goes for you. You have to learn not to put all your eggs in one basket, especially when you've never met the guy.

    However, there are other signs here that he's not as interested. He bailed on meeting and now says he just wants to be friends. Something changed for him, whether it was plain old second thoughts or other women, and it's likely not going to go the direction you hoped. I would not hold you breath for this one.

    Keep in mind that while people do sometimes meet their partners on Tinder, it is still very much a hook-up app. You'll need a thick skin and lower expectations if you intend to keep using it.

  9. #18
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50,435
    Originally Posted by Sparkle1234
    I could understand the longer than normal meeting time because I wanted to get to know him (as much as I could online) before meeting because of my children but now I am ready to meet he suddenly isn't ready.

    This is my first attempt at dating after a long term relationship so think I need to get savvy!
    Thank you
    You really can't get to know someone online for safety or dating purpose - for an online relationship you can, for a platonic friendship, possibly also, not for dating in person. . Meet in a public place within 2 weeks, I agree. I would move on from this guy -for whatever reason he can't/doesn't want to meet you.

  10. #19
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,623
    Gender
    Female
    Well if the man is shy or has some social anxiety, it makes sense that he could be really nervous and stalling meeting for that reason. He actually did say that he struggles socially. That doesn't just straight out mean that he's weird but he could just be shy and anxious. However I would not keep chatting longer than a week or two at most because chatting can be a huge waste of time if that person will never meet you at all. This does happen somewhat often where someone chats for a few weeks or months and then finds out that yes, the person was a catfish or a flake and was never going to actually meet.

    Regarding the rest of it, it's actually a bit concerning. To want someone you'd chatted to only for two weeks and never met, to stop using Tinder is just so unrealistic. People can continue to date other people until both individuals agree they are exclusive. Normally this wouldn't be done until at least a few weeks (if not months) into dating. Also to say you are developing feelings...For whom, the text you see on your screen? I mean you've never even seen this person in real life so how can you I know if you have feelings for him?

  11. #20
    Platinum Member catfeeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    22,261
    Gender
    Female
    The problem with living in your head is that it's easy to create fantasies that will never materialize, and worse, they become more attractive than real day-to-day living. This is isolating, and if you choose this route, you will become the one with the social problem.

    Skip the electronic fantasy building 'about' people you have never met. Shoot instead for matches who are local and who will meet up for a quick cup of coffee so you can check one another out. Set up a bunch of these quick meets for your trip home from work, and if anyone stands you up, take your coffee with you and nothing is lost. You'll meet someone else the next night.

    Rules of quick meets are that you interact for 20 minutes or so, and neither can corner the other by asking for a real date on the spot. Either can contact the other afterward with an invite, and if the answer is yes, the other responds, and if not, no response is necessary. This takes the squirmy rejection stuff off the table and allows you to navigate freely until you meet someone who you actually hit it off with in person.

    Screen your matches carefully, and don't bother with anyone who will not meet you quickly. You will thank yourself later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •