Legal Guardianship

amihan

Hello,

I would appreciate if you could give me some advice. I would like to know if a grandchild can file a legal guardianship for her 80 plus grandmother. Basically my grandmother don't want to go back to her children.

The story is a bit long, I apologize. You may, however refer to the previous post.

In case, I am doing this because I have been taking care all alone for 4 years. And my worry is that he has a son who has a habit of fabricating stories. He has been wicked to me and someone told me that I should take legal actions because maybe one day he might twist the story and tell world that I kidnapped my granny.

The story is a bit long, I apologize. You may, however refer to the previous post.

In addition, I am planning to take my career in a new level for the next coming years. If i would be successful realizing my dream and if ever I will be assigned to a foreign country, I may have the privilege to take a dependent with me. Since I have no parents nor siblings anymore, I am planning to bring my grandmother with me along with a trust worthy caregiver (This is not sure yet, just thinking of the probability because I have work hard for it).

I have proof of years of residency that she has been living with me for for years. But I think that's not enough.

Would highly appreciate your advice or tips.

Thanks.

Every state has specific rules about guardianship. Fundamentally you will need to show that granny is incompetent. That will come from testimony from the required number of doctors. Then you have to prove that the guardian is of good character & has the money to post the required insurance bonds. You really need a lawyer. There may be other cheaper options like powers of attorney & having granny add you to bank accounts, utilities etc.

You need to talk to an attorney specializing in elder law. You can't really get accurate free legal advice on the internet. You claim your brother has power of attorney and handles all her finances.

Hello,

I would like to know if a grandchild can file a legal guardianship for her 80 plus grandmother.

Every state has specific rules about guardianship. Fundamentally you will need to show that granny is incompetent. That will come from testimony from the required number of doctors. Then you have to prove that the guardian is of good character & has the money to post the required insurance bonds. You really need a lawyer. There may be other cheaper options like powers of attorney & having granny add you to bank accounts, utilities etc.

Thank you for the advice.This is helpful. I appreciate that you provide me options. Once again, thank you.

You need to talk to an attorney specializing in elder law. You can't really get accurate free legal advice on the internet. You claim your brother has power of attorney and handles all her finances.

I like that you opened up to me the idea of attorney specializing in elder law. This helpful. I am fully aware that I can't have free legal advice on the internet. But I have to research first where or what will be my first move. In my country, there are some lawyers that don't do their job sincerely and I have to be very cautious. Thank you for this idea, at least I know from which point I can start.

In response to your reply, it has been four years that my grandmother live with me. I am the one who finance her and I didn't asked any single centavo from her kids. There are times that she insists to contribute in her medical and household expenses and I accept because I don't want to argue with her or let her feel useless in the house.

Wiseman, I appreciate your reply.

Archived