Chance of getting the job?

Hey eNA!

Posting because I have a situation I haven’t been in before and I’m curious on what y’all think of it.

A month ago I was approached by an internal recruiter to a very large company in my industry. She seemed eager to chat but honestly it seemed too good to be true - mostly because that very week I had thought to myself “man, I sure would love to work for [company she works at]”

I did the phone screen with her and she said my name was given to her by management on a short list and they are looking to source talent generically. There is no specific job, they just anticipate jobs and they want a mix of experiences already onboard to deploy talent quickly.

She asked for my resume and I sent it over. Two or three weeks later I got a request to interview over the phone with a high level person (which is next week).

This feels really good. But I’m trying not to get my hopes up arbitrarily. What are your thoughts?

Have y’all ever been approached this way before?

Thanks everyone!

My Daughter does the exact job that the lady who approached you does.

She sources candidates through Seek, Linked in, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

She looks for people who are qualified for roles, interviews them & places them on their internal data base for any future roles that become available in the Company.

The internal Recruiters then have a choice of candidates ready and waiting for positions. It saves them a lot of time.

Good luck!!!

She looks for people who are qualified for roles, interviews them & places them on their internal data base for any future roles that become available in the Company.

The internal Recruiters then have a choice of candidates ready and waiting for positions. It saves them a lot of time.

Good luck!!!

Oh this makes sense -so then OP just understand that this will just put you in a pool of candidates if your interview goes well as opposed to it being directly relevant to an offer of employment. Up to you whether you want to invest the time in the interview.

Good luck!!!

Is your daughter internal or third party?

Oh this makes sense -so then OP just understand that this will just put you in a pool of candidates if your interview goes well as opposed to it being directly relevant to an offer of employment. Up to you whether you want to invest the time in the interview.

I want a role with them so bad. :(

More commentary, too:

They are desperately seeking women. It’s a published initiative to hire more women, and they self reported that they are behind their goals.

The group I’m interviewing with has a lot of planned activity the next two years.

If that changes anything

Congrats on the interview. I think it's a good idea to go for it and ask the questions you'd like to ask. It's still early days but it's nice to be included and go ahead for the phone interview. It sounds like you know the company quite well. Gender gaps or gender inequality could mean existing instances of sexual harassment and issues regarding gender equity. There's a likelihood the company is male-dominated and it's looking to change its culture (at the heart of it). I wouldn't do anything differently in an interview except be more aware of company culture and industry standards. Don't be afraid to negotiate later on if you're being considered for a position.

I’m definitely going for it :) I’m trying to gauge what my chance is!

Nobody else's crystal ball is better than your own. I'd prep for the interview and ace it, but beyond that, too much focus can be a roller coaster ride. I've been through rounds of interviews right down to an offer that got sidelined when the firm reorganized only to have a better offer come back around months later. I've aced interviews only to hear nothing--then another invitation to reopen talks a month later.

When you can allow for the fact that timing and outcomes are rarely about us and always about the internals of any given firm, you can relax into trusting that if it's a meant-to-be deal, it will fall into place when the time is right. Meanwhile, do your best, lay your iron in the fire, then let it go. Your stomach lining will thank you, and you'll thank yourself for restful sleep. Hopefully, all the way to the bank!

In your corner,

Cat

Nobody else's crystal ball is better than your own. I'd prep for the interview and ace it, but beyond that, too much focus can be a roller coaster ride. I've been through rounds of interviews right down to an offer that got sidelined when the firm reorganized only to have a better offer come back around months later. I've aced interviews only to hear nothing--then another invitation to reopen talks a month later.

When you can allow for the fact that timing and outcomes are rarely about us and always about the internals of any given firm, you can relax into trusting that if it's a meant-to-be deal, it will fall into place when the time is right. Meanwhile, do your best, lay your iron in the fire, then let it go. Your stomach lining will thank you, and you'll thank yourself for restful sleep. Hopefully, all the way to the bank!

In your corner,

Cat

Yes I agree! MLD one time I interviewed twice for my dream job within about a two-week period. Then I heard they'd decided to let the current guy telecommute after all. A few months later I get called -telecommuting guy didn't' work out, I'm on the short list and they'd like to meet me for one final time and likely give me an offer. And.... by then I was 15 weeks preggers (I didn't know until right after the first round of interviews). So I declined because I didn't know my post-birth plans and didn't want to take up their time. But goes to show you timing is everything. In my current job I assumed it would take months for them to call me given the type of industry. I got called about week post-application, interviewed a week after that, offer a week after that. Awesome job, almost 3 years now. I wish the same for you.

Yes I agree! MLD one time I interviewed twice for my dream job within about a two-week period. Then I heard they'd decided to let the current guy telecommute after all. A few months later I get called -telecommuting guy didn't' work out, I'm on the short list and they'd like to meet me for one final time and likely give me an offer. And.... by then I was 15 weeks preggers (I didn't know until right after the first round of interviews). So I declined because I didn't know my post-birth plans and didn't want to take up their time. But goes to show you timing is everything. In my current job I assumed it would take months for them to call me given the type of industry. I got called about week post-application, interviewed a week after that, offer a week after that. Awesome job, almost 3 years now. I wish the same for you.

Awesome thank you everyone!

I want it to work so bad. It feels almost like fate.

I had literally that WEEK thought about trying to get on with this company when they approached me.

They are hiring more women, the head of the group went to my university (which isn’t common where I live), my company is doing layoffs, the new company’s office is closer to my new place than my current job, this is the most responsive and helpful HR group I’ve ever worked with...

It feels too good to be true honestly [emoji58]

Oh! And on the HR screen they asked my salary. When I answered they seemed surprised. I asked why and their response was “that’s lower than we expected”

Sounds like there is definite interest on their part, so that’s great!

You didn’t ask for interview advice, but I’ll put in my two cents:

It’s all about WIIFM, from them. “What’s in it for me” if I hire MLD?

So make your interview about them, not about you, if that makes sense. All the stuff you can bring to the table, that will benefit them.

I know this is common sense, but it all bears repeating, as I’ve mistaked myself out of jobs before, and I can tell you really want this!

Also, do your research, and come up with some good questions, specific to the company, its offerings, and how your strengths will apply.

So make your interview about them, not about you, if that makes sense. All the stuff you can bring to the table, that will benefit them.

I know this is common sense, but it all bears repeating, as I’ve mistaked myself out of jobs before, and I can tell you really want this!

Also, do your research, and come up with some good questions, specific to the company, its offerings, and how your strengths will apply.

Thank you, that is solid advice. I appreciate it!

I agree with this so much. Certainly you-the interviewee -shouldn't appear "desperate" but yes the mindset of how you can be an asset to the organization, the department, etc. Also have 3-5 questions ready that cannot be answered on the website. One I usually ask is 'how would you describe the atmosphere here" - it's a question that seems to go over well.

I will never forget interviewing someone who was interviewing at most of the major firms in our industry (entry level) -I asked why she wanted to work at our firm in particular. She said "oh, I don't know, you know they're all basically the same like carrots and peas." Right.

Small update!

I had a phone interview with a very high ranking person today (VP type level). She was wonderful. The conversation was super casual and she ended up revealing some personal details while we chatted. She explained how the company found me (a push to hire more women) and ended up telling me specific things to research ahead of an interview. She gave me sample interview questions and coached me on how to best answer them. Then, at the end of the conversation, she said she really enjoyed talking to me and was looking forward to meeting me in person for an onsite interview. YAY!

Small update!

I had a phone interview with a very high ranking person today (VP type level). She was wonderful. The conversation was super casual and she ended up revealing some personal details while we chatted. She explained how the company found me (a push to hire more women) and ended up telling me specific things to research ahead of an interview. She gave me sample interview questions and coached me on how to best answer them. Then, at the end of the conversation, she said she really enjoyed talking to me and was looking forward to meeting me in person for an onsite interview. YAY!

Great update!!!

Archived