LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Text Happened

Text Happened

So my boyfriend and I were supposed to get together on Saturday for a brunch he had planned. About 4 am on Saturday morning he calls to ensure that I am coming. It was odd to me that he would call at that hour but I asked if he was okay considering he had attended his 15 yr old nephews funeral service hours earlier that Friday. He said he was okay confirms the time for us to meet and says he cant wait to see me. Close to an hour later I am awaken again by a text that says “I don't know if you notice me begging. That's because i haven't been with anyone fyi” and another immediately after that says “Be there in 20”...
    I know he cant get to me in 20 minutes as I live over an hour away from him. In addition there is another text around 5 minutes later that says “I’m with Mike”.... well Mike is my boyfriends name. So of course I call him... No answer. So I wait to see if he calls back... no response. After several calls no answer he then calls me about 6am and says someone else had his phone. I don't believe him. Would you? What are your thoughts!!!

Methinks he called the wrong number... thinking it was his other girlfriend. Sorry, but that's what the runes say...

I'm assuming you still saw him on Saturday, so three days ago? Did he not offer any more explanation than "someone else had my phone"?

Seems a pretty easy thing to explain in a few more sentences than that—unless, of course, it's not something he wants to explain because he doesn't want you to know what he was up to between the hours of 4-6am on Friday.

A call to confirm brunch at 4am is, yes, strange. Ditto the "begging" text, which certainly sounds oriented toward romance and not meant for your eyes. Then again, even if he was up to no good, I don't quite understand why Mike would be sending a text to you or anyone that read "I'm with Mike," which gives credence to the idea that someone else was on his phone. Unless, well, your Mike has a friend named Mike...

Anyhow, we can riff on this all day and I'm happy to pop some popcorn and have at it. But I think Mike is the person to be talking to and your gut is the thing to be listening to. And if you can't talk to him and can't hear your own gut—well, then you've got bigger problems than this little snafu.

Why did the brunch fall through? You could have seen each other in person and talked about it.

Platinum Member
    Given how out of context the texts were, it's at least safe to say they weren't meant for you.

Did he try to tell you that someone had his phone, thinking it was their own? That would be a pretty obvious gaffe once someone tried to get into their contacts, messages or other personalized details that I assume would be very different from their own. It would also likely not include more than one message once the sender realized their mistake.

How is your relationship in general? I read in your last thread that relying too much on texting (on his end) is a big issue between you two, but how are things beyond that? How often do you see each other? I gather you don't live in the same city, but before I reach and assume he's got someone else on the go and thought he was texting her, more context could be helpful.

Platinum Member
    I would not believe him. He was heading over to another girl's house.

Is there someone local or an ex in the picture? Did you attend this funeral?
    Originally Posted by Nosocialmedi
    About 4 am on Saturday morning he calls to ensure that I am coming. It was odd to me that he would call at that hour but I asked if he was okay considering he had attended his 15 yr old nephews funeral service hours earlier that Friday

I think he was chillin with other people after the service at his place or someones place, most likely drinking was involved. That would explain the 4am phone call...he was still up/couldn't sleep or someone from the service may have needed a place to crash before heading home woke him up. Your BF went back to bed, and this relative/friend got the phones mixed up in their fuzzy state...realizing their mistake silenced the ringer as to not disturb your BF or your BF simply didn't hear it because he was exhausted/dead asleep. Sounds to me the texter was in poop with their GF for being out all night after the service. They were defending themselves that they weren't with someone else, and then promised to hurry home.

Originally Posted by smackie9
    I think he was chillin with other people after the service at his place or someones place, most likely drinking was involved. That would explain the 4am phone call...he was still up/couldn't sleep or someone from the service may have needed a place to crash before heading home woke him up. Your BF went back to bed, and this relative/friend got the phones mixed up in their fuzzy state...realizing their mistake silenced the ringer as to not disturb your BF or your BF simply didn't hear it because he was exhausted/dead asleep. Sounds to me the texter was in poop with their GF for being out all night after the service. They were defending themselves that they weren't with someone else, and then promised to hurry home.
    You should be a lawyer... as negative as I am, that actually sounds plausible!

He sounds nuts for calling you at 4am! His calls and texts are abnormal. He is awfully inconsiderate.

My thoughts are: I wouldn't want a boyfriend like yours. No way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice