Originally Posted by TestTest
My head is racing with thoughts - what if there is still something that is worth fighting for? I was prepared and behaved like she is sure of not wanting to be with me but it looked like she wasn't 100%. We hugged and she cried and she was sad - how can all that not mean anything? I guess I wanted her to feel that I am strong and am ok with whatever happens - but I am not - I guess at least not yet. I want to contact her so badly and ask why we are doing this and why we don't just try to work it out slowly :(
I remember crying pretty hard when I broke up with my first real long-term boyfriend. I knew it meant that my life was going to change a lot (we lived together and were very integrated in each others' lives) and I felt terrible for hurting him. It wasn't a mutual break-up, and the knowledge that I was causing him pain and couldn't make it go away was very difficult. But I knew it was the right thing to do.

In other words, tears don't necessarily mean someone regrets their decision to end it. It means she cares about you and doesn't want to hurt you, but knows you're hurting all the same. Goodbyes can be intensely emotional for all involved.