Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook, instagram... social media in general - Good or bad?

Facebook, instagram... social media in general - Good or bad?

I have deactivated all my accounts to focus as going through tough time recently, however... in doing so, has reduced anxiety a lot... i am reading more, less on my phone and in general happier and more content.

I think when you are bombarded 24/7 with notifications, posts from left wing/right wing stuff, how others are doing etc... it chips and wears you down, you naturally compare and I think its better being without it. I also got to a point where I was thinking... is this good for me? Why do people post? Pictures/statuses... is it to share with friends, or something related to ego and i don't think it is healthy.

Opinions? :)

Platinum Member
    It boils down to your own outlook and mental state really.

If it triggers anxiety in you , then ask yourself why?
    Not everyone compares or as you say ďnaturallyĒ compares. Maybe itís just in your nature to compare. But because of anxiety?

Social media is a tool and how you use it is what you get out of it.

Yup... anxiety. Obviously you have never suffered or wouldn't ask such a question.

I know myself and any others who have OCD/Panic disorder/Anxiety disorder... find when in an anxious 'irrational' frame of mind, which is to no fault of our own due to mental illness, that facebook etc can be a source of triggering, hence my decision to remove myself.

When I am in a rational frame of mind (more often than not now as I have put a lot of work in overcoming my demons) I see facebook/instagram for what it is.

It can be used by some as a nice place to post pictures etc, however i keep in close contact with my close friends via other means, the rest is just fluff or background noise. Which is much what social media is imo. There is also a lot of research that it makes mental illness worse, reduces your ability (especially young adults/teens) to focus for long periods of time (broken focus waiting for next notification or like) Has a negative effect on self esteem, through looking for praise and positive reinforcement, or getting the opposite (no one likes - negative things).

Its all ego driven and linked to an interesting study on narcissism, as its an easy platform to get attention and post views and opinions etc.

I find being off it therapeutic and a breath of fresh air :)

I forgot to answer, people do naturally compare when suffering with OCD/anxiety disorder/ panic disorder... I have a friend who got very upset over a group of friends who she is close with posting about meeting up and not inviting her for example. It triggered a lot in her... probably unintentional on the other friends part, however this is what I mean about it triggering.

I gt triggered by sexual abuse and bullying posts, I also get triggered by cancer posts atm because of what family is going through.

There is a lot of research on the benefits of being off facebook... just wanting to discuss in a friendly forum.

The benefits of facebook vs negatives, nothing to do with me or my mental state :) I am actually in a good place considering atm.

Platinum Member
    To the contrary I first hand know full well about anxiety. I also know that removing triggers is not the answer.

Using anxiety as a reason not to do something is actually fuelling it.

Perhaps you rather remove triggers rather than preventing them being triggers?

Not at all... You now nothing about me, or my life, or what I do and don't do... so please stop speculating.

I stated in the last post I didn't want to discuss anything relating to me, just the use of social media and its effects.

This was supposed to be a post on the good and bad of social media.

Lets turn things around... why do you look at posts and 'assess' people upon one post when you know nothing about them or their mental state? :)

Like i said, I am in a good place, I am a lot more productive without social media, reading more and and am enjoying being off it. Lots of people are making the change, this is what I was hoping would be discussed.

Platinum Member
    Iím not speculating at all.
    Iím responding to what you said and that removing social media has lessened your anxiety. Thatís great! But it hasnít actually done anything for your anxiety , just removed the triggers. But the anxiety is still there!

I donít look at posts and assess them at all. Because I am fully aware that a post is a mere snippet of their life and not a true reflection of it , just a piece they want to share.

I donít use social media for that.

To the contrary I first hand know full well about anxiety. I also know that removing triggers is not the answer.
    What!?!

It is sometimes absolutely necessary to remove triggers. This is called self care. If something is causing anxiety it makes perfect sense to stay away from it.
    Why on earth would anyone continue to put themself into a position where they are having an anxiety provoking response?

This is why people go to spas or have down days where they do nothing but sleep or do as minimal as possible. It's healthy, it's necessary.

If you're not happy with Facebook anymore flatsquirrel than it makes perfect sense to turn it off.

It's not a necessity in life and it can be a waste of time, in fact most of it is.

Many only remain on there because it's the only place to stay in contact with certain family or friends, but it's not needed either.

I, absolutely agree with you that it can become like a bad version of highschool where there is popularity contests going on, people always trying to one up another another or trying to make themselves and their lives look like perfection.

No, it's not everyone, but it can become like this and that's when you know it's toxic and it's time to shut it off.

Lots have left Facebook and it's not big deal. It's social media and although it can be something to do when you're bored, it's not always healthy.

Yes, I get that at times you need to face your fears head on if it's ruining your life, but I doubt social media falls into that category.

I don't like using it anymore and upon watching a few tedtalks and documentaries on it, i have decided to deactivate it :)

Sometimes removing triggers is a bad thing yes, but sometimes it is a good thing also. Like friends who treat you bad and cause anxiety, or an ex who is harrassing you... etc. Its sometimes a good thing... no? :) If it makes you happy to do so and more peaceful? What are your views?

Like for example, I now some workplace anxiety is normal and people who have anxiety disorders can overassess or take things wrong way, so you learn to deal through yoga/mediation/therapy etc... however, previous I had a supervisor that made my life a living hell and no matter what I did, i still got it. He used to cover me in spit shouting at me, I wasn't the only person and things weren't going to change... so I left that job. I felt a lot happier, my anxiety over the situation changed and I felt a lot happier.

So yes, I agree some situations are not good to run away from (dads cancer and mum's mental illness atm is difficult) however, I meditate, do my yoga and deal with it as I know its something I cannot avoid, nor would I want to. Also with friend who is good friend but suffers badly with anxiety, i wouldn't walk away from her. However, some things are beneficial to eliminate anxiety?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice