Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Facebook, instagram... social media in general - Good or bad?

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    You already posted the same type of thread. Why again?

That was about taking a detox from social media,this was a kind of different spin, to gauge peoples opinions on social media... the good and bad and their opinions in hoping to start a good debate and see different perspectives.

Originally Posted by SherrySher
    I won't go into my credentials or personal experiences, Bill, as I don't feel I need to explain myself.

But I can assure you that I have more than a full understanding of anxiety disorders and living with one and how difficult it can be.

Either way, this is going off track.

I hope you're doing okay, OP, I agree with your decision to go off Facebook. If it's not a positive in your life, then let it go. It's a healthy decision.
    Yes,i'm in a good place, life is crazy atm in a lot of ways, like the song title - life is a rollercoaster, ups and downs highs and lows!

Oh I love Google maps. My husband downloads them whenever we are out of town. He's more of the planner between us.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by flatsquirrel
    That was about taking a detox from social media,this was a kind of different spin, to gauge peoples opinions on social media... the good and bad and their opinions in hoping to start a good debate and see different perspectives.
    Sorry, I thought you asked people's opinions about coming off of social media.

Hey flatsquirrel,

Love the idea of this thread! Social media is absolutely huge, no doubt about it, in nearly everyones lives. The time we spend looking at our screens and the sheer volume of people who have things like instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter etc is also massive - you are hard pressed to find anyone with at least one if not all of them. In my opinion, it's taking over peoples lives!

I walk down the street and people are walking looking at their phones. Completely depresses me, I can't tell you. And I go and take my 18 month old son to activities, I look behind me and instead of watching their children the mothers and fathers are checking their phones. And you would think, wow, it must be a really important business deal to have to break yourself away like that or, you might have a crisis going on? No, you peep a look at their screens and they're checking out someones a** on instagram or plugging in emojis in texts that are being sent at a million miles an hour lolzolzolzoloflololol. I find it worrying. Not only are they not enjoying their children, fully present, but in my opinion they are not involved in real life, real interactions, real emotions - people have this second virtual life lived online.

I am very traditional and with that in this modern, western era, very unusual, so my opinion on this stuff isn't the norm. I have to say, I deleted Facebook about a year ago and it felt amazing, truly. I also got rid of looking at my phone. My screen time went from 1.5 hours a day (which I know is still low compared to most) to about 15 minutes. I use it for music, the time, the odd text and phone call. I kind of am even considering whether I need a smart phone with the internet on, just another temptation to zombie out. And, I feel the same way about TV. People are shocked because we don't have a TV in the house. The first thing people ask me is, "What do you DO on a night?!" And I just joke that my son was only 1 before I was pregnant again so you guess it HA!

No really, I actually talk to my husband on a night, spend family time, do chores, do the garden, make plans - it's amazing what you can get done for yourself and how your own mentality just shifts within a few days without the crutch of this stuff. Do you really care what someone you went to school with 15 years ago ate for breakfast this morning? Do you really need to know who's split up with who, or what holiday a friend of a friend is on?

I get the pluses, if you are very old, I can see a great deal of optimism in it for you but it's not the 70, 80 year olds that are using this stuff. I think they would benefit.

My life has completely opened up just talking to people face to face. Even today, I took my son out into town and instantly a beautiful Persian lady who was holding her 6 month old girl started talking to me. We spoke for nearly an hour and she asked for my number and a play date. I looked back and the other Mums were on their phones. I find it so sad.

Each to their own but in my opinion all the negatives outweigh any positives social media has.

Best of luck with your journey, I could imagine if it also brings on some form of anxiety for you you are going to feel much better in the long run.

Lo x

Platinum Member
    I really love Facebook for limited purposes -to keep in touch with friends and family who live far away, to network, and to be part of groups (like parenting groups) who have common interests with me. And that is all. I don't post photos and rarely initiate posts. I see the downsides of Facebook of course. I'm on Nextdoor and Linkedin too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice