Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook, instagram... social media in general - Good or bad?

Platinum Member
    People with anxiety disorders donít go to spas for a weekend.
    The people that go have normal anxiety.

And those same people dismiss anxiety disorders because they think everyone suffers from anxiety.

And that we that have a true anxiety disorder just need to go for a spa weekend to fix us???

I think social media is fine if it doesnt become obsessive or compulsive and for some that's exactly what happens. I read only what I want to read, only post what I think are funny cartoons etc. and use it to keep in contact with friends and relatives on the other side of the planet. It does not upset me in any way, if it did, I'd close my account. It's all how the person uses and reacts to it.

People with anxiety disorders donít go to spas for a weekend.
    Oh yes, they sure do. They try whatever they can to find calm and peace. My cousin has MS and developed quite a severe anxiety disorder. Going to the spa helps her feel more relaxed.

Not everything and everyone is a one size fits all. People with anxiety disorders do what they can do find calm. Medications, meditations, therapy, long walks, group therapy, you name it...even spas.

If it helps, it's a good thing.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by SherrySher
    Oh yes, they sure do. They try whatever they can to find calm and peace. My cousin has MS and developed quite a severe anxiety disorder..
    Thatís nice that someone took her there! Or if she went by herself it was anxiety driven. Not anxiety disorder.

There is a huge difference that even my own sister who is in the medical field , clearly not in psychology, doesnít understand.

It's like anything else. Too much is a bad thing, but it's not inherently evil if used for your own purposes and in a moderate way.

Replied in your other thread on this topic: [Register to see the link]
    Originally Posted by flatsquirrel
    I think when you are bombarded 24/7 with notifications, posts from left wing/right wing stuff, how others are doing etc... it chips and wears you down, you naturally compare and I think its better being without it. I also got to a point where I was thinking... is this good for me? Why do people post? Pictures/statuses... is it to share with friends, or something related to ego and i don't think it is healthy.

I won't go into my credentials or personal experiences, Bill, as I don't feel I need to explain myself.

But I can assure you that I have more than a full understanding of anxiety disorders and living with one and how difficult it can be.

Either way, this is going off track.

I hope you're doing okay, OP, I agree with your decision to go off Facebook. If it's not a positive in your life, then let it go. It's a healthy decision.

Platinum Member
    You already posted the same type of thread. Why again?

Originally Posted by flatsquirrel
    I have deactivated all my accounts to focus as going through tough time recently, however... in doing so, has reduced anxiety a lot... i am reading more, less on my phone and in general happier and more content.

I think when you are bombarded 24/7 with notifications, posts from left wing/right wing stuff, how others are doing etc... it chips and wears you down, you naturally compare and I think its better being without it. I also got to a point where I was thinking... is this good for me? Why do people post? Pictures/statuses... is it to share with friends, or something related to ego and i don't think it is healthy.

Opinions? :)
    Continue doing what helps you gain clarity. Without our own sense of clarity, we will always look to the definitions of happiness (and its variations) through others.

The point is to regain your sense of self and strengthen your identity. If it means tuning out for awhile, that's ok. There are many paths and one destination in the quietening of the mind and learning to focus.

It's good that you recognize what you need but don't stay stuck camping out indefinitely on the side of one path. Keep moving.

It's a personal choice of course... and if you don't like it and don't like using it, then deactivating it makes complete sense.

I think social media can be a great tool to stay connected and to find out what people are thinking and feeling about the goings on in the world today (sentiment analysis). IMO social media becomes toxic when people allow it to dictate how they live, when they don't practice critical thinking, when they allow themselves to get involved in contentious discussions with strangers that care not about how they feel.

Speaking of Ted Talks, I listened to one some time ago that talked about how we are letting technology control our lives... email, phone, text, social media, all have notifications that are designed to create a sense of urgency to respond, not to mention the culture that has developed in the world that seems to dictate that we respond to texts in 30 seconds or less or that means we don't care about the person on the other side. The end result is this anxiety you speak of where we feel like we have no control over our lives anymore and are constantly at the beck and call of a machine.

Sure I could just disconnect from all social media, I mean that would be the easiest thing, however at the end of the day I love technology and want to continue to use it, so my solution is to assert some control over my device and set boundaries with people like I would in any real life relationship. Limit my social media use to around an hour a day.... turn off all notifications so that they don't trigger my anxiety... respond to texts usually at specific times during the day vs. on demand... same thing with email... plan my phone time much like I plan my in person time... put my phone away so that if someone calls, texts or emails and I am in a meeting, or spending time with loved ones, I don't see it and focus on what's in front of me.

Thing is... social media and technology is here to stay, and it's going to get even more busy, so I feel like I might as well learn to use it to my advantage.

Originally Posted by maew
    It's a personal choice of course... and if you don't like it and don't like using it, then deactivating it makes complete sense.

I think social media can be a great tool to stay connected and to find out what people are thinking and feeling about the goings on in the world today (sentiment analysis). IMO social media becomes toxic when people allow it to dictate how they live, when they don't practice critical thinking, when they allow themselves to get involved in contentious discussions with strangers that care not about how they feel.

Speaking of Ted Talks, I listened to one some time ago that talked about how we are letting technology control our lives... email, phone, text, social media, all have notifications that are designed to create a sense of urgency to respond, not to mention the culture that has developed in the world that seems to dictate that we respond to texts in 30 seconds or less or that means we don't care about the person on the other side. The end result is this anxiety you speak of where we feel like we have no control over our lives anymore and are constantly at the beck and call of a machine.

Sure I could just disconnect from all social media, I mean that would be the easiest thing, however at the end of the day I love technology and want to continue to use it, so my solution is to assert some control over my device and set boundaries with people like I would in any real life relationship. Limit my social media use to around an hour a day.... turn off all notifications so that they don't trigger my anxiety... respond to texts usually at specific times during the day vs. on demand... same thing with email... plan my phone time much like I plan my in person time... put my phone away so that if someone calls, texts or emails and I am in a meeting, or spending time with loved ones, I don't see it and focus on what's in front of me.

Thing is... social media and technology is here to stay, and it's going to get even more busy, so I feel like I might as well learn to use it to my advantage.
    Yes, I agree. Technology is here to stay. Its interesting the tedtalk you mentioned. Sometimes I feel we struggle to live without devices. I never used to take my phone out with me when I was younger, or leave it in a safe on holiday... now I feel lost without it! Its interesting, how technology has been ingrained over the past decade or so.

Some technology I would struggle to live without, google maps for example! However, taking a break from social media has been wonderful... I still have fb messenger and whatsapp though :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice