LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Style on Dating Profiles

Hair Style on Dating Profiles

Hello! Interesting question about hairstyle. Compared to the people I know and see around me and my social networks, at 38 years, my full head of hair is beyond what the other guys I know can even hope for. They're balding, half-balding, thin-haired, etc. Yet, I've heard comments that I should cut my hair shorter. Is this just another example of people being jealous of me or is having a nice full head of hair not cool anymore? I'm proud of my hair, I'm not going to change that for anyone, but I'm curious - is the current style of short hair cuts a result of actual style or is it because men at this age are balding and they must have a short hair style otherwise they don't look good? Thanks!

Originally Posted by asalways
    Hello! Interesting question about hairstyle. Compared to the people I know and see around me and my social networks, at 38 years, my full head of hair is beyond what the other guys I know can even hope for. They're balding, half-balding, thin-haired, etc. Yet, I've heard comments that I should cut my hair shorter. Is this just another example of people being jealous of me or is having a nice full head of hair not cool anymore? I'm proud of my hair, I'm not going to change that for anyone, but I'm curious - is the current style of short hair cuts a result of actual style or is it because men at this age are balding and they must have a short hair style otherwise they don't look good? Thanks!
    Why is it if someone gives you feed back about your hair style, it must be because someone else has issues?
    If you like your hair the way it is, then so be it.
    Hair styles change along with fashion trends. It's not due to compensating for some sort of insecurity.
    Last edited by reinventmyself; 08-20-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    Why is it if someone gives you feed back about your hair style, it must be because someone else has issues?
    I'm genuinely curious to hear an answer to this question, or to hear if it resonates.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I like short hair on men . Period. No man buns or man pony or big puffy hair for me.
    If you like your hair the way it is great. All you need is a woman who loves tons of hair.

My husband is a lot older than you and he's got a full head of hair that any bald guy would envy! He keeps it longer than most but cut and styled nicely. I hate super short hair on anyone. Wear your hair how you like.

It sounds like you're genuinely curious about the reactions to your head of hair but your tone can come across as conceited because I think deep down you know you have what others might want or like. You're also not sure why people are making comments towards you for your hair type or the way it grows. I don't sense that you know you sound a little aloof or disconnected.

My suggestion is to continue visiting and exploring areas outside your comfort zone and meet different people. You'll come into contact with many more differences and comments about dress, language, style, your thoughts and culture, the list goes on. Your hair differences may be the least of it. If you're interested in hair styles you can look around you at your contemporaries and deduce on your own what the current general trends are. Have you developed your own style for your hair? Maybe it's a good time to celebrate it and pick a style you feel comfortable with rather than just having it lay on top if you're not sure what to do with it.

Platinum Member
    Sounds like you enjoy believing others are jealous. Lol. I donít think so.

My 85 year-old father still has a full head of hair. Jealous? Didnít think so.

In fact, on some guys, I love me a bald head.

If someone gives you feedback, thatís all it is. As Reinventmyself said, itís not about them. Itís about you.

Is your hair shoulder length or something?

If you have long hair at your age and in this day and age it may not be flattering or current. You may appear like a relic stuck in the past or in your heyday and that can look more dated than anything else. The ponytail look went out decades ago.

Get to a good stylist/barber and get a well groomed looking flattering cut. Try to skip the trendy stuff or fads like man buns, etc also. You'll appear more youthful/current when you groom/dress in a manner that's most flattering to you personally and doesn't look dated or too trendy.
    I've heard comments that I should cut my hair shorter.

When more than one person tells you the same thing, maybe you should listen. Sometimes people get frozen in a particular time period whereas they don't change how they dress or wear their hair. I know that when I had my first boyfriend, he brushed his curly hair and it was an unattractive frizz. And then we went swimming and his hair reverted to his natural curl which was so adorable to me and I told him so. He never again brushed his hair. Sometimes another view point can open your eyes that a change might do you good.

I know that each person has their own likes and dislikes about their own and other's hairstyles. You're a free agent and can do as you please. I will point out though, that I saw in a magazine a poll of what women thought of male celebrities in photos with a long hairdo versus a short haircut. The overwhelming majority of women preferred the short haircuts. Therefore, if you want to sway for better odds in the difficult world of OLD, perhaps you should consider a shorter haircut if your hair is long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice