Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Style on Dating Profiles

There's no way we can make a judgment unless we see how you wear your hair. Some long hair and 'full bodied' head of hair can look unkempt. Is it always in your face? Is it neatly combed and styled? If your friends are suggesting that you cut it, there must be a reason, and I doubt it's out of jealousy.

I like man buns.

Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    I like man buns.
    which ones? . . lol

Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    which ones? . . lol
    All kinds ... lol

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by asalways
    Hello! Interesting question about hairstyle. Compared to the people I know and see around me and my social networks, at 38 years, my full head of hair is beyond what the other guys I know can even hope for. They're balding, half-balding, thin-haired, etc. Yet, I've heard comments that I should cut my hair shorter. Is this just another example of people being jealous of me or is having a nice full head of hair not cool anymore? I'm proud of my hair, I'm not going to change that for anyone, but I'm curious - is the current style of short hair cuts a result of actual style or is it because men at this age are balding and they must have a short hair style otherwise they don't look good? Thanks!
    Huh? My husband did at 38 and beyond -he is 52 and still does. He keeps it short for preference plus professional reasons. No one tells him how to wear his hair and he has great hair, not just all his hair. I had no issue dating men who were bald/balding, whatever but chose not to date men who had long hair (but yes I would be friends with them, etc).

Platinum Member
    Is it current, or dated?

Thanks for all the replies. It's full bodied, thick, and well brushed. No pony tail or anything like that, but if I were to put a label on it, sure, it's more of an 70's look than it is from today. I looked up famous people who have my hairstyle, and Adam Brody is a good match, to give you reference. Who do I hear this from? Women who are in my social circle where in the majority their husbands and significant others fall into the bald / thinning hair category. Perhaps my circle is so small that I don't have enough of a sample size to make a clear judgement call. Their comments roll in when the topic of relationships come up and they find out that I am single, so they start with their checklists which I don't even ask for. I only ask around if they know anyone single who matches my criteria, but it usually doesn't get to that, it's stops at what they think I should change about myself. I just have difficulty conforming to the latest and greatest norms, because all it takes is some famous Instagram celebrity to make a new trend and here we go, what was terrible yesterday is the greatest today. I'll be bald some day, so while I have it, I'll enjoy it. I'm definitely keeping my hair style. This whole thing seems small, but for me, it's empowering. If everyone starts following the latest and greatest, everyone will eventually look the same. Regarding the jealousy thing, I can't read their minds, I don't know, I guess it could go either way.

Your title here implied that this had to do with dating profiles, which made me assume a few pixilated women had asked about your hair. Further clarification tells us it's (by and large) your friends' partners who have brought it up. Yet in your original post you assumed it had something to with "another example of people being jealous of me," a choice of wording I'd suggest you read a few times, which implies that you're getting flack from people (likely men?) who long for a full head of hair like yours.

Which makes me have to ask: Are a significant number of your friends' wives bald?

Yeah, I'm kidding, but to get to a point. You sound awfully touchy, particularly when it comes to how women see you. Seems that if they see something in you that's a smidge different from what you see in the mirror you take it more as a personal offense rather than an observation—maybe astute, maybe not, but just that: an observation. Maybe even one that, if you're open to such glories, could help you see yourself differently, more fully.

Can't help but wonder if there's something there worth exploring. Where's this sensitivity come from? Not just that, where does this sense that large numbers of people are regularly jealous of you come from? Do you think those things could maybe, just maybe, be related? One coin, two sides: peacock flashing on one, peacock scuttling about on the other?

I've got a lot of hair, thick, pretty dark, and I've got a whopping year of life on you. I've cut my own since I was 18. Style has been pretty consistent: shaggy, whatever-y, perhaps "artsy" or "bohemian" could be deployed if a magazine writer was looking for cheap precision. I've heard it referred to as "cute," "sexy," "unruly," and "wild" by the opposite sex. None of those adjectives land with much oomph for me. It's my hair. Don't give it much thought, and don't care much about what someone thinks of it.

Guess I'm just wondering where this hyper-sensitivity comes from, and whether that, more than your Adrian Brody mane, is the source of your angst here. Do you struggle when it comes to not taking women making an observation about you as a personal attack? Do you feel, more generally, that women "have it in" for you?

Platinum Member
    I saw a lot of hairstyles for Adam Brody.

I seriously doubt that people make comments about your hair due to jealousy. I think that maybe you should listen to these women-they have nothing to gain-if you are looking to date. Perhaps, your look is unkept in appearance and they think you would have more success.

I am kind of confused why you created the thread if you have no intention of changing your look.

Originally Posted by bluecastle
    Your title here implied that this had to do with dating profiles, which made me assume a few pixilated women had asked about your hair. Further clarification tells us it's (by and large) your friends' partners who have brought it up. Yet in your original post you assumed it had something to with "another example of people being jealous of me," a choice of wording I'd suggest you read a few times, which implies that you're getting flack from people (likely men?) who long for a full head of hair like yours.

Which makes me have to ask: Are a significant number of your friends' wives bald?

Yeah, I'm kidding, but to get to a point. You sound awfully touchy, particularly when it comes to how women see you. Seems that if they see something in you that's a smidge different from what you see in the mirror you take it more as a personal offense rather than an observation—maybe astute, maybe not, but just that: an observation. Maybe even one that, if you're open to such glories, could help you see yourself differently, more fully.

Can't help but wonder if there's something there worth exploring. Where's this sensitivity come from? Not just that, where does this sense that large numbers of people are regularly jealous of you come from? Do you think those things could maybe, just maybe, be related? One coin, two sides: peacock flashing on one, peacock scuttling about on the other?

I've got a lot of hair, thick, pretty dark, and I've got a whopping year of life on you. I've cut my own since I was 18. Style has been pretty consistent: shaggy, whatever-y, perhaps "artsy" or "bohemian" could be deployed if a magazine writer was looking for cheap precision. I've heard it referred to as "cute," "sexy," "unruly," and "wild" by the opposite sex. None of those adjectives land with much oomph for me. It's my hair. Don't give it much thought, and don't care much about what someone thinks of it.

Guess I'm just wondering where this hyper-sensitivity comes from, and whether that, more than your Adrian Brody mane, is the source of your angst here. Do you struggle when it comes to not taking women making an observation about you as a personal attack? Do you feel, more generally, that women "have it in" for you?
    You raise good points, the reason why I am so sensitive to other opinions is there is the mantra of "we like you for who you are, just be yourself" which then turns into "but you should do this, that and the other". That's a good coin metaphor, 2 sides to the story. It's not just the hair thing, I've had this happen to me for a very long time. Even at 25, I've had women tell me how nice my arms and calves are, but that stomach, what a disgrace. So I took care of that, and then came the gold and jewelry I like to wear, yuck, that's so gross and conceited. And now the hair lol, so yeah, it's a sequence of events, if it were just the hair, it would be the first strike, perhaps I wouldn't react so strongly towards it. I don't feel women have it in for me, and I don't take it as personal attacks, but when I ask around in my social circle about if someone they know is single, and they reply with how I should change, that's not cool.

How the dating profile fits in, is I was wondering how the fuller hair would be interpreted.

In response to Hollyj, why I created the thread, was because I was curious about the jealousy perspective versus the style perspective. Of course I have no intention of changing, I've been changing to conform to others all my life, everyone's got their stopping point. So ok, the consensus is the chance of jealousy is very low, and it is indeed a matter of style. I accept both. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice