Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Today I have a “ rent study”( euphemism for let’s see how much more we can charge you for your drafty 1960s dump with one bathroom and no central AC.) today by my landlord. So the Forces Housing Agency and the company doing the study is coming and I needed her to occupy the kids while I deal with these people but nope she has run off to a meeting for the bus monitors. 😡

This is my livelihood and she needs to take that more seriously. And if she can’t then she can work two hours a day for the bus company that doesn’t need you every year.

See if you can find something in daycare laws about personnel coverage, then you can point to that as your reason for letting her go unless she decides to skip the bus job. Show her the tax benefit on paper if she'll reconsider that.

I'd leave irritation out of the conversation, it won't work in your favor.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Even on my own I am within limit. It is 5 kids to one adult. I had her to do it with me because it is exhausting and she needed the income because she is extremely low income. I eat the taxes for her income. I declare it all even what she makes and pay taxes on it so she isn’t dinged. She also qualifies for old age subsidy. What she doesn’t realize is if she takes this bus monitor job it will ding her subsidy for next year and the year after for the tax season. And she told me if she has to pay tax on what she earns from me she might as well not work because she will lose her whole subsidy so I ate the tax.

You just can’t find loyalty anymore not even in friends.

You're eating the tax for her and she's pulling this crap?? She has a lot of gall, IMO. I think she's taking advantage.

Can you start looking for someone else? Someone that you wouldn't have to eat tax for?

Originally Posted by Fudgie
    You're eating the tax for her and she's pulling this crap?? She has a lot of gall, IMO. I think she's taking advantage.

Can you start looking for someone else? Someone that you wouldn't have to eat tax for?
    Thank God I have a good accountant. That’s all I can say. I got a return last for last year but I was only business for three months of the year . This year who knows.

I also give her a free ride home every day.

Maybe I just need not to be so good a friend. More boundaries. I was treating her like family but obviously that’s not the way I’m thought of.

Well, almost 11 and she is not back from this meeting or got in touch with me.

She finally text me to say she was still at the meeting. I told her there was no point in coming in today because all the kids will be gone today by 3:30. My super late kids are home barfing today.

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    See if you can find something in daycare laws about personnel coverage, then you can point to that as your reason for letting her go unless she decides to skip the bus job. Show her the tax benefit on paper if she'll reconsider that.

I'd leave irritation out of the conversation, it won't work in your favor.
    This! I'd also leave the friendship out of it. Whilst she is working for you, she is your employee. She needs to respect that.

Platinum Member
    Business is business. Hire someone who can fulfill the job requirements which includes the time needed. Let go of your friend. Employees don't look out for owners. They will always only look out for themselves when push comes to shove.

Platinum Member
    I feel frustrated on your behalf because of course this type of job is not an "all hours are created equal" kind of job (and she knows that!) . So I would let her go with that reminder about the nature of the work at your center. Just like she can't choose her hours as bus monitor either (not the best analogy but another one of those time sensitive jobs). Obviously there's some room for flexibility and in my opinion she is asking for far too much.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice