Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my co worker out of line?

Ignore her. Since other employees have dirty aprons, too you have nothing to fear.

Don't tattle to management. They don't want to bother mediating quibbles. They have more important matters to attend to.

Just mind your own business and leave her alone. Do your work, earn your paycheck, then leave to go home just like any other day.

Now might be a good time to pause... and ask yourself whether your apron does get dirtier than other aprons.

I'm going to come at this from a different perspective because while I agree with all the other members, my husband let me in on the culture of aprons and chef jackets. The reason why they're white is a matter of kitchen culture and impressing upon customers (open kitchen) and each other at the level of care and attention to detail a chef has in the precision of his or her movements in a kitchen.

Of course this is open to all kinds of opinion from what a ridiculous and silly idea this is to utterly futile. The irony is that the apron is also meant to protect from sources of heat and other dangerous activities that occur in that environment.

When it comes to your own apron things might not be so amusing or easy to interpret. I'd still encourage taking it with a grain of salt. I think your outward appearance matters in a professional environment. If you're able to look into a better whitener or bleach/detergent or if you are able to avoid certain spills, it might help your overall image and level of professionalism at work. I think your coworker has a less than desirable delivery but she may have a point. She may also have standards that are not appropriate to your level of work. If you feel that it's inappropriate, you should feel open discussing it and other expectations with your manager.

Originally Posted by MrsWise
    So should i just keep my feelings bottled up? Because i never told her how i felt and now i just feel like exploding
    Work is not a therapeutic environment, so I'd save the temper tantrum for a therapist's office. I'd skip the petty offense and decide whether you can afford to change into a second apron after the first gets noticeably soiled. You coworker is concerned about how you all appear as a team, and if you can put aside personal affront to consider a professional approach to the problem, you may end up with a solid friend on the job who appreciates your thoughtfulness and effort.

Head high, and don't waste energy on defending against stuff that's simple enough to fix.

Smile and respond "Duly noted" and then turn and get back to work. Respond the same way each time, just be a brick wall. Dim simpletons like her are just looking for drama and fights. They enjoy the reaction they get from others. So don't give her anyway the second you get angry or blow up, she "wins".

Don't let her "win".

It was bothering and i felt I needed to say something. Yesterday, I decided to ask the said co worker if she had gone out of her way to tell the other co worker that my apron is always dirty. And she vehemently denied it. and inisist we both go to confront her following day and another co worker will be there as a witness .

So this morning the said co worker in the OP reminded me about our meeting to go talk to the other lady. I tried to back out and said to let it go as it is not big deal but she inisisted we go along with a third lady so she can be her witness if it becomes a big thing. I said fine, lets go.

We approached her and the 4 of us went in a room and close the door. The accused co worker was the one who ask the other lady if she had said that my apron is always dirty and i don't work clean ?..The lady said " Yes you said that" with conviction. To which the other co worker still denied and ask when she said it..They go at it for bit. by the end of the meeting, The accused co worker leaned that we were basically talking about her when I found out about what she allegedly said about me. And she also found out how demeaned i felt when she shammed me. everything that i told told the other lady was layed out right there to which i confirmed

She back down and said not to bring up her name again when she is not around then she left the room. the lady who told me this information was still insisting that she did said it and i did the right thing confronting her. but the accused co worker is still denying it.When met the accused co worker down stairs she basically said and not to listen to her to the other lady. If the accused co worker did tell the other lady about my apron, why would she insisting we go and be caught in a lie? so i don't know who to belive at this point.so i don't know who to believe at this point. this whole thing is weird to me and one of them lying. i just don't know who

This feels like an episode straight out of Orange is the New Black...

No one likes feeling lied to or deceived. I think it's best to keep your cool, don't burn any bridges at work or start accusing anyone else. Just take it easy and do your thing.

Talk to your manager about new uniforms and spare clean aprons. Surely you are all expected to wear them for work and have them look presentable if they are part of the work uniform. If that's the case have a clean spare and keep in in your locker. If you don't have a spare, ask the manager for one.

Everything else is just a cat fight.

Why are you making a federal case about an apron? Either it gets dirty, or not. If so, what's the problem with putting on a clean one for the second half of your shift?

The fact that this has come back to you twice from two different sources means that it bother SOMEbody. Instead of trying to villainize anyone for that, why not just solve the actual problem?

It makes no sense to get defensive about something that's easily fixed. So fix it, and you will thank yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice