Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living with a chronic illness

Bronze Member

Living with a chronic illness

Chronic illness is like thief that comes in the night. It steals from you. It robs you of your friends, your job, your self worth, self esteem, your social life and leaves you feeling that IT has all the power and you have almost no control over your life anymore. I am a spiritual person and do alot of praying. I never thought I would find myself in this situation. For the first 50 years of my life, I was very healthy and active. I had a job, a great social life, a boyfriend, and life was wonderful. Then I woke up one day with a migraine that became so bad, I went to the emergency room. After that night, my life changed forever. I recovered from the migraine, thankfully, but I began to experience atypical facial pain. Not to bore you with a long story of how the last 13 years have radically changed, but I know that living day to day with a chronic illness is not easy, especially when you don't have a great support system in place, I would love to hear from those on that are on this forum to share their experience and how you deal with something like this. Thank you for listening. :-)

Platinum Member
    I have several chronic (and incurable) medical conditions.

One condition in particular means I can never be far from a bathroom. Almost every time I eat something I have to run to the bathroom to have an urgent bowel movement. It's pretty much taken dating off the table. I can't exactly excuse myself during a dinner date to disappear into the restroom for 10-15 minutes! And I can't go on a hike due to lack of bathroom facilities.

I do spend time with friends. They know about my bathroom issues and have been really nice about it.

I also have severe diet restrictions, a sun allergy and become fatigued easily. I can't fly due to severe motion sickness.

But I stay positive. I have great kids, great friends, a great family and despite my medical conditions I still manage to have a life. Things could be worse!

Platinum Member
    About 25 years ago, I dated a guy who had something I had never heard of before: Chronís disease. Today, itís very well known, but I got a huge education about it from him. We dated for about a year, and I learned the all-too-familiar symptoms, along with his very specific dietary requirements, and his often urgent bathroom needs.

It had absolutely no bearing on our relationship, or on his social life, or on anything other than times heíd have to cancel dates due to extreme pain. Prior to meeting me, he had spent close to 2 years in the hospital, and years later, he had his intestines completely removed and wears a colostomy bag.

He is now happily married to a beautiful woman, with a great kid, and a great life.

My dad always said of him that he took lemons and made lemonade.

He didnít ďliveĒ in his illness. He had this terrific outlook on life, this amazing spirit, tons of friends, and just has his illness as an ďoh yeah, this is something I have to deal withĒ.

But I did see, very much first hand, the debilitating effects of a chronic illness, and what a toll it can take.

I am sorry for your illness.

Platinum Member
    Chronic illness doesnít have to be debilitating.
    Basically you are still living and can live life to the fullest despite it.
    In your case has trigeminal neuralgia been ruled out?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    It's pretty much taken dating off the table. I can't exactly excuse myself during a dinner date to disappear into the restroom for 10-15 minutes!
    Why?What's the problem with going to the restroom during a date?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by dias
    Why?What's the problem with going to the restroom during a date?
    Nothing wrong with it but if you read the whole message , it says he would be there 10-15 minutes.
    A first date? Another might assume he has actually flaked and left the bill.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    I have several chronic (and incurable) medical conditions.

One condition in particular means I can never be far from a bathroom. Almost every time I eat something I have to run to the bathroom to have an urgent bowel movement. It's pretty much taken dating off the table. I can't exactly excuse myself during a dinner date to disappear into the restroom for 10-15 minutes! And I can't go on a hike due to lack of bathroom facilities.

I do spend time with friends. They know about my bathroom issues and have been really nice about it.

I also have severe diet restrictions, a sun allergy and become fatigued easily. I can't fly due to severe motion sickness.

But I stay positive. I have great kids, great friends, a great family and despite my medical conditions I still manage to have a life. Things could be worse!
    Do you mind me asking what your diagnosis is?

I donít think dating is ruled out for you?
    Dinner dates and hikes might be out of the question for a first or even fifth date but there are other options , movie date where no food involved? Politely decline popcorn?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Billie28
    Nothing wrong with it but if you read the whole message , it says he would be there 10-15 minutes.
    A first date? Another might assume he has actually flaked and left the bill.
    There are people who do not assume and do not rush to judge people/situations.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I hear you . I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and migraines and arthritis . Right now I am a remission from TN and I just go great gunnels cause who knows when it will return.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by dias
    There are people who do not assume and do not rush to judge people/situations.
    Thatís a lovely thought. But not realistic.
    You know that!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice