Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Believing You Have ADHD

Such helpful suggestions. I move around different news apps. A friend will email me something that happened in Asia or some other part and I'll be curious so I'll read and we'll get into an email discussion on such and such which is really nice because I sometimes feel too removed. I didn't think of it that way but I suppose what I've been doing is rewarding myself with 'fun' things on the side like Nat Geo articles sent to my personal email. The last article was about a 365 million year old forest discovered in China and looking at diagrams/sketches of what an old tree from that time period would have looked like based on fossil remains. Weird looking and interesting. The rewarding aspect is helpful. It also makes the real reading feel like less of a chore because of the mental break.

At our last AGM it was a bit embarrassing because everyone was talking about what book they've been reading at our table and I zoned out. I can't really get into reading books. They were all so nice about it too and I guess it was a bit funny when the conversation turned to Game of Thrones and how the books related to the shows. Everyone had something to say then. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Sometimes interests change too. I think that's what Bluecastle was mentioning.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~

Actually Katrina , I can tell when you are in a more manic phase.
    Thnx for your honesty S, I have no doubt that's true - I of course don't notice at the time but do later when I read back my posts.

I'm not manic now though

Will try and see my doctor next week.

Hopefully she can give me brain exercises versus the meds, we'll see. xx

Edit: Yes a lot going on in my life right now, which no doubt has a bearing and also my bipolar plays a part as well.

I'll work it out, thnx guys.

Originally Posted by katrina1980

Edit: Yes a lot going on in my life right now, which no doubt has a bearing and also my bipolar plays a part as well.
    Do you have a lot of stress going on right now, K?

Platinum Member Butterfly~Wrists's Avatar
    Katrina, I feel like your mental health may be declining, you've posted about not being relationship material (a small red flag to me) and now this. I think you know this and are scared of the medication for whatever reason so look for some other cause.
    Stress and change can trigger existing mental health issues to get worse, such as your bipolar. Instead of fearing it and the treatment, look after yourself as a whole. You may not necessarily have yup go on medication, but you do need additional support with your studies and managing your new symptoms.

I can't speak for everyone but I lose my concentration if I have to multi-task. I can only do one thing at a time. If I do a juggling act with my tasks, many times I mess up, get injured, have an accident or do a halfway job whatever the task or chore is.

Also, I concentrate better without distractions. It has to be quiet.

You might want to look into your sleep. When I sleep, the house has to be dead quiet. No noise. This means I close and lock my bedroom door with no background racket such as TV, radio, door banging, people in 'n out of the house, commotion in the kitchen or activity. The house needs to be SILENT. Once I get my peaceful, good night's rest, I can concentrate better the following day because my brain had peace 'n quiet. (Super quiet sleep is very beneficial for optimal brain development for infants, babies and children, too. They'll do better in school.)

I tend to avoid crowds and loud noises. I find that crowds, lots of background noise, loud noises and racket makes my brain feel distracted and I can't concentrate on anything.

And, there are times when I shut everything OFF. No cell phone, TV, PC, no electronics, nothing. I want peace 'n quiet. I don't wish to be disturbed nor bothered. I shut out the world. You ought to try it. It will give your brain a reset.

Try taking naps even if it's a short, QUIET nap. It will recharge and re-energize your brain and body so you can concentrate better. Hope these tips will help you!

Platinum Member
    I would go back to your psychiatrist, or find a new one, who can help diagnose this properly. It might be something different entirely, or it could be comorbid bipolar/adhd. As we always say here, only a trained professional can diagnose.

My exBF was diagnosed with comorbid depression and ADHD and given a 3-med combo, which did seem to help him. Not trying to share personal stuff about him, but the fact that he found help from it is the relevance. He said that the med combo helped him calm down and be able to listen, which I always thought was one of his best traits. I didn't know him prior to the meds, but he told me that he literally couldn't listen to anyone talk for more than a sentence or two, but I found him to be an awesome listener. AFAIK, he remained on the meds/psych visits (once a quarter) after our breakup, as he did during our relationship.

All I can tell you is, if you think you have attention issues, I'd address those with a doctor, as only you know what your differences are from prior times. As you said, it's hard for you to focus on a book now, whereas you used to be able to read. I don't know if it's something that can change with age or not, but there is so much new info out there in this world, that I'd seek the help and see what they can do for you, whether it's meds, talk therapy, or a combo. The only shame today is in not seeking help.

When my now exBF brought all this up to me, he was nervous, but he felt I had a right to know. I was proud of him for opening up, for continuing with the help, and I reminded him of his med times. He also did find help in the talk therapy that went along with it.

Be as honest as you can with your doctor, about any/all symptoms, and let him/her help guide you to the right diagnosis. And I applaud you for bringing this up in this sort of "public" forum, as so many do not.

Platinum Member
    You can't develop ADHD as other's have mentioned - but it is possible for many conditions to go unnoticed until adulthood. I would expect however that you would react with "oh so this explains how I've always been" rather than "well gee, looks like I'm becoming more and more like this". I've gone down that first pass thinking ADHD might explain some of my own self-control issues, but found I don't hit quite enough of the criteria for ADHD. I've found instead that I struggle with certain aspects of executive function, but it doesn't seem to fit neatly into any of the well defined boxes. Lucky me. Maybe I'll make my own label. Doesn't-do-the-dishes-itus.

Some of what you describe I really think can be attributed to most people in general who are your age. We grew up with the internet addicted to ever changing information - we expect everything we do to be entertaining every second. We remember how things changed when we became able to use our phones to fill up the space, swiping to the next shiny thing. It affects everyone in fact, but probably those of us under about 40 struggle with it a little harder.

Don't be afraid of figuring out your mental health and maybe taking meds to help them. The usual analogy... if your arm was broken would you not wear a cast? If you have poor eyesight would you not wear glasses or contacts? There are downsides to meds of course, but if they help your arm heal, or let you see what you couldn't before, it seems like it's worth exploring.

Good luck on the LSATS. Keep remembering your goals. Try new things and figure out who you are and how it can be managed. Heck, ask your doctor about ADD. If nothing else, it starts a conversation that can maybe help find the right track.

Platinum Member
    Are you by any chance just feeling overwhelmed right now?

If I recall correctly, not only are you studying for the LSAT in anticipation of applying for/preparing to attend law school (which can be stressful & overwhelming), but didnít you just recently break up with your longterm boyfriend as well?

Just working a full-time job and studying for the LSAT alone would be a lot to take on, never mind adjusting to you having ended the relationship with your bf, too.

I wouldnít be surprised if youíre feeling over-whelmed by it all - lots of changes! I find when I have a lot going on in my life, it can be challenging for me to focus at times because my mind is reeling (I get a bit fidgety, actually, and canít sit still).

But as the others have suggested, Iíd be running all of this by your doctor.

Platinum Member
    What exactly is it about meds that you are opposed to?

What meds are usually recommended/prescribed for bipolar? Are there any "milder" meds?

I do understand somewhat because I have to take 4 prescription drugs just to get through each day, but of course I'd prefer not to have to. However, prescription medication-free is not an option for me because the meds regulate systems that are damaged in my body.

Platinum Member
    Hey guys thanks all so much!

I see there are lots of questions to answer which I will, I promise, but I'm off to meet a friend for HH, then dinner so will respond tomorrow.

Which will be better anyway, it will give me a chance to think about all the great responses!

I feel better after reading all of them, so thank you. xx

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice