Believing You Have ADHD

Hi guys, I'm am so frustrated with myself!

I am now convinced that as an adult, I have developed ADHD or just ADD.

I find it difficult focusing and concentrating on one subject at a time, for anthing longer than a few paragraphs at a time; it's gotten to the point where unless something captures my attention very early on, I become bored with it and move on, stop reading.

Books, articles, even the longer posts on relationship advice forums! Lol

I simply do not have the patience to make it through, what the hell is wrong with me?

The problem now is that I am studying for the LSAT and my focus on doing well is what is propelling me forward, and I hope that once in law school it will be the same as the curriculum involves tons and tons of reading!!

Several top attorneys I know, including those who graduated from Harvard and Stanford struggle with ADD and take meds for it, is this what I have to look forward to? Ugh.

I used to love to read, novels, bios, I could spend all day reading, but now as I said, unless something captures my attention from the get go, I will stop reading -- mind races with other thoughts, I lose focus, even happens when I watch movies and the tele.

What's wrong with me?

I have not mentioned to my doctor yet as I believe I have been in denial about it.

But it's been happening for too long now and I cannot deny it any longer.

Have any others experience this? Lack of focus and concentration?

I still have a great memory though, sharp as a tack which is definitely a positive and will serve me well in law school.

I just wish I had the ability to remain more focused though.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice.

That is more my line of thinking .

Katrina, I believe you have mentioned a few times that you are bipolar aND do not take medication but rather rely on things like diet and yoga to manage it. Aren't the symptoms you're experiencing associated with bipolar? If so, could medication be an option?
Katrina, I believe you have mentioned a few times that you are bipolar aND do not take medication but rather rely on things like diet and yoga to manage it. Aren't the symptoms you're experiencing associated with bipolar? If so, could medication be an option?

Yes that is a possibility, which is unfortunate as I am loathe to get back on meds again.

But it make sense, I will see my doctor about it.

I did not relate it to the bipolar cause I only noticed within the last couple of months, and I've been off meds for years, managing symptoms on my own.

Maybe it's progressing?

I'm a bit scared now and will see my doctor.

Thanks bolt.

Ok, so how does one’s neurological development change ? It is listed as a neurological developmental disorder . How does one acquire that in adulthood it doesn’t even make sense .

I have no idea S, but you can Google it if interested, medical articles saying it's not just a kid thing, can develop in adults too.

Just going by what I briefly read.

I don't know if I have ADHD but I lose focus very easily as well. I don't know how bad it is for you Kat but I believe most people have a hard time focusing. I mean, you need to make conscious effort. I don't believe concentrating is easy. The majority of us get distracted easily. What works for me: when I have to concentrate on something, I just forbid myself to do anything else even if I lose focus. Usually it goes like this 1)lose focus 2) walk around 2-3 minutes, drink water or something 3) get back to the task. During this pause I forbid myself to eat, browse on the internet, watch TV etc. It's not easy, I wish I was one of those people who can concentrate for hours on end but ,well, I am not. Again, for me it’s a conscious effort.

Maybe try this approach?

I know it is not a kid thing . My husband still has it significantly as an adult . What you read are they actually peer reviewed medical articles ?

ADHD and autism are considered developmental disorder , neurodiverse disorders.

I have no idea S, but you can Google it if interested, medical articles saying it's not just a kid thing, can develop in adults too.

Just going by what I briefly read.

I think what you're describing is normal. If it's not hindering your cognition in any way and you can meet deadlines just fine, you might be just going through the normal processes of old(er) age and tendency not to be as interested in everything you read. What I tend to do is read the first and last sentences of every paragraph or block of text. I get the beginning and the end at the same time and then if I'm interested I go through the middle. It's a trick I learned years ago in university so this isn't something I've developed recently. If I'm not interested, I move to the next issue. My text for non-leisure items (work) is very short.

Thanks dias I'll try it!

I feel a bit better now knowing I'm not alone and that there's hope (without meds). xx

Personally I believe meds is the last resort. We are all born different. There are many traits I wish I had which I don't (I curse God but he doesn’t respond lol) . However getting meds for improving your performance in something it's not always the best imo. It's like saying " I will use steroids because I am not a mesomorph and I don't build muscles as fast as other people".

Plus, meds are treating the symptom. But if you can find a way to treat the symptom without meds, why take meds?

The patience part is something I can't give advice as I am extremely impatient myself (and I haven't found a way to treat this symptom unfortunately lol )

Good luck with the LSAT :)

Are you a heavy user of computers and social media? It's been shown that too much time on the screen can reduce your ability to focus.

The computer Yes, but social media No.

My job as a paralegal requires me to be on computer at least 8-9 hours a day, then at home I am always researching something of interest or listening to/watching music and other videos.

And now studying takes up much of my free time.

So from almost the minute I wake up until bed time, I'm on the computer!'

But Rose made a good point, perhaps as I get older, i've simply lost patience for things I'm not that interested in.

Edit: Thanks dias for well wishes on LSAT!

Echoing boltnrun. Bipolar without medication can manifest in the symptoms you're describing. The manic part of bipolar disorder is not always as crazy as TV or movies would have it. You can find yourself flitting from one task to another, unable to concentrate on 1 thing for an extended time.

I have a friend who has bipolar and when she doesn't take her meds or if she drinks, it's like she had ADHD and acts weirdly. Makes her difficult to be around and that's why I won't go to a bar with her anymore.

You really need to see a doctor and get properly treated if it's affecting your life like this. Yes, meds can suck (I take meds for depression and anxiety for life) but what is the alternative?

I agree with Rose that this sounds pretty normal. Frustrating, yes, but also one of those normal things we go through.

I'm a big reader, for instance, and can go weeks and months devouring novels and long articles at light speed. A big love of mine, big source of comfort and identity, and critically connected to what I do for a living. And yet: sometimes I go through periods where I can hardly read a paragraph, where I go months without cracking open a book. Typically these periods are triggered by a general sense of unrest, or a pivot, a potent transitional moment.

You've made some big changes in your life in recent months, and are setting out on a new journey with law school. It would be strange if you weren't a little scattered, mentally. If you're able to focus on LSAT prep right now but unable to focus on a novel or one of my rambling posts here—all good. Natural. Wouldn't jump straight into the diagnostics since that can be it's own amplifier of the very thing you're looking to quell.

I periodically give myself little challenges when I feel I've lost a bit of my focus, attention. Say I'm in a phase where I can happily binge watch TV but can't read the New York Times. I'll acknowledge that, but then "force" myself to read one article in full for the "reward" of watching TV. Often the scales recenter, with some time, patience, and low-grade commitment. Before I know it, I'm reading more again, watching less TV.

And, yeah, sometimes we lose interest in things that once held our attention. Yoga has been a big part of my life for many years—a source of joy, of stability. But I haven't been feeling it lately—started doing a little workout with one of my instructor's husbands, which has been more interesting these days. And a friend moved to town who I surf with, so now I'm in the water more. Feels kind of weird, almost "wrong," to not want to get on the mat—but so it goes. I'll probably be back. Just a cycle.

You're in a moment where "optimization" is a priority—new chapters, new challenges. Exciting. Could be that, in this mindset, you're hyper-aware of the places where you're not "optimized" or less "optimized" where you once were. I say give yourself some breathing room. As long as you're doing things that benefit you you're doing great. Sometimes those things just change shape.

Echoing boltnrun. Bipolar without medication can manifest in the symptoms you're describing. The manic part of bipolar disorder is not always as crazy as TV or movies would have it. You can find yourself flitting from one task to another, unable to concentrate on 1 thing for an extended time.

I have a friend who has bipolar and when she doesn't take her meds or if she drinks, it's like she had ADHD and acts weirdly. Makes her difficult to be around and that's why I won't go to a bar with her anymore.

You really need to see a doctor and get properly treated if it's affecting your life like this. Yes, meds can suck (I take meds for depression and anxiety for life) but what is the alternative?

I echo this . I can totally tell when my dad is not taking his meds or is manic.

Actually Katrina , I can tell when you are in a more manic phase.

Such helpful suggestions. I move around different news apps. A friend will email me something that happened in Asia or some other part and I'll be curious so I'll read and we'll get into an email discussion on such and such which is really nice because I sometimes feel too removed. I didn't think of it that way but I suppose what I've been doing is rewarding myself with 'fun' things on the side like Nat Geo articles sent to my personal email. The last article was about a 365 million year old forest discovered in China and looking at diagrams/sketches of what an old tree from that time period would have looked like based on fossil remains. Weird looking and interesting. The rewarding aspect is helpful. It also makes the real reading feel like less of a chore because of the mental break.

At our last AGM it was a bit embarrassing because everyone was talking about what book they've been reading at our table and I zoned out. I can't really get into reading books. They were all so nice about it too and I guess it was a bit funny when the conversation turned to Game of Thrones and how the books related to the shows. Everyone had something to say then. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Sometimes interests change too. I think that's what Bluecastle was mentioning.

Actually Katrina , I can tell when you are in a more manic phase.

Thnx for your honesty S, I have no doubt that's true - I of course don't notice at the time but do later when I read back my posts.

I'm not manic now though :D

Will try and see my doctor next week.

Hopefully she can give me brain exercises versus the meds, we'll see. xx

Edit: Yes a lot going on in my life right now, which no doubt has a bearing and also my bipolar plays a part as well.

I'll work it out, thnx guys.

Katrina, I feel like your mental health may be declining, you've posted about not being relationship material (a small red flag to me) and now this. I think you know this and are scared of the medication for whatever reason so look for some other cause.

Stress and change can trigger existing mental health issues to get worse, such as your bipolar. Instead of fearing it and the treatment, look after yourself as a whole. You may not necessarily have yup go on medication, but you do need additional support with your studies and managing your new symptoms.

I can't speak for everyone but I lose my concentration if I have to multi-task. I can only do one thing at a time. If I do a juggling act with my tasks, many times I mess up, get injured, have an accident or do a halfway job whatever the task or chore is.

Also, I concentrate better without distractions. It has to be quiet.

You might want to look into your sleep. When I sleep, the house has to be dead quiet. No noise. This means I close and lock my bedroom door with no background racket such as TV, radio, door banging, people in 'n out of the house, commotion in the kitchen or activity. The house needs to be SILENT. Once I get my peaceful, good night's rest, I can concentrate better the following day because my brain had peace 'n quiet. (Super quiet sleep is very beneficial for optimal brain development for infants, babies and children, too. They'll do better in school.)

I tend to avoid crowds and loud noises. I find that crowds, lots of background noise, loud noises and racket makes my brain feel distracted and I can't concentrate on anything.

And, there are times when I shut everything OFF. No cell phone, TV, PC, no electronics, nothing. I want peace 'n quiet. I don't wish to be disturbed nor bothered. I shut out the world. You ought to try it. It will give your brain a reset.

Try taking naps even if it's a short, QUIET nap. It will recharge and re-energize your brain and body so you can concentrate better. Hope these tips will help you!

Archived