Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding planning

My favorite weddings have all been destination weddings. They feel like an intimate adventure and an adventure that celebrates intimacy. They don't need to be big and extravagant; in fact, for many of my friends, they kind of opted for destination weddings knowing that only the people they really wanted there would show up. They pickedówell, most of themóplaces that were pretty affordable to get to and places where people would naturally want to go for a vacation, so the wedding became an excuse to take some vacation days and have a blast.

Hi Butters...Long time and Congrats!

My husband and I had about 100 people at our wedding, which meant less stress and more time to spend with the people who meant the most to us.

The only glitch was the best man was about 30 min late (over slept) yet all in all, it was a great time.

We wanted to focus on the celebration, so the ceremony lasted all of five minutes, if that. Straight to vows and then to eating and drinking. My family's Spanish Catholic, so I've had to endure numerous mass + long wedding combos. Ours was a welcome change of pace for pretty much everyone. Also I, like you, am not the biggest fan of being in the spotlight, and I really did want the evening focused as much as possible on everyone enjoying it together. My aunt had her wedding a few months later and it was about 30 minutes of vows and close to an hour of friends telling incredibly uninteresting inside jokes and stories. She's a huge poet and romantic, so it is what it is.

I don't know the size of your anticipated guest list, but $5k can be a bit ambitious if you wanna go with the traditional bells and whistles, especially if by food being the focal point, you're talking a higher-end 3-course meal. Our open bars ran us a few bucks as well. Not saying you can't do it, though. We didn't hire a florist and I ended up organizing the decor and buying pieces on my own to incorporate. Though we consciously chose a venue that spoke for itself and didn't need much love. You can also save money if you're willing to chance it with an iPod DJ.

We spent more than I was terribly happy to, if I'm being honest. Especially when it came time to move out of NYC and buy some property, you could feel that extra several thousand bucks missing. Still, I never spend more than I know I'll regret. It was definitely a night to remember. I'd just keep that hypothetical balancing act in mind. It can be hard to once you're finding out what $5 extra per guest or $3 extra per guest gets you.

Also, since you've given yourself plenty of time to prepare, I'd look into non-peak seasons and / or a Friday wedding if you think people wouldn't have a problem making it. That slashed prices by a decent bit with most venues and services.

Platinum Member Butterfly~Wrists's Avatar
    Nothing traditional for us, I've been looking at a cave or haunted jail wedding, max 1.5k for general hire I think, at least for the ceremony. Fiance wants reception in a marquee in a field *eyerole* it needs to be accessible and have loos.
    Luckily in the UK open bars aren't really a thing, so we don't need to worry about that, other than making sure the venues doesn't charge a crazy price for drinks. My fiance is in a band, and has a few connections for bands to play our wedding, we want a band, and rock music ideally, obviously with something you can dance to thrown in. I mean if I had my way we'd elope, I don't like the idea of spending such a huge amount of money on one day, when there is the future to think of and save for. Mind you, I'm not fussed about marriage anyway, other than my grandparents and his posted and maybe a couple others, every marriage I know if has ended in divorce lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice