Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: I have cellulite, do you?

  1. #11
    Gold Member SarahLancaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    689
    Gender
    Female
    The trick is to cultivate friends with poor eyesight!

  2. #12
    Platinum Member figureitout23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,406
    Are you doing anything about your anxiety?

    That seems to be the common theme of your posts...

  3. #13
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    216
    I am going to the beach soon on a trip with lots of people. I started feeling anxious about this and then it occurred to me how big a waste it would be to let this ruin a chance to connect with other people and really appreciate time with them.

    I tend to oscillate from not caring at all, to letting it ruin my day. And that is just so SO profoundly silly. I would like to simply not care so much about it, and to focus my energy on more important thoughts. I know that I have allowed superficial values to hinder my relationships with people. I judge myself and others too harshly. I want to be accepting, to look at people and really SEE them with empathy, as being complex people. And I would like to see myself that way, too. I think for many women it begins with body image and forgiving your flaws. I don;t know. I want to be a more positive and substantial person; not just about body image but in terms of values.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member Jibralta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,417
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Rihannon
    And I have tried for years to make it go away. It is frustrating. I am of a low weight, and always have been of a healthy low weight. Technically I have been underweight at times, according to some overly simplified scales. But as an adult I always had it, ever since I was in my early 20s. I've never been overweight. It doesn't matter. My thighs have gotten larger with muscle or weight gain, and have shrunken back down again when I changed my workouts and diet. The cellulite was always there.
    It's the same for my mom and my sister. I'm adopted and I've never carried a lot of cellulite.

    The three of us have fluctuated in weight over the years, but we are relatively thin. So, I'm pretty sure it's hereditary.

    I hope you find a way to embrace your body in its perfection. As you said, you are healthy and pain-free. You have friends. You're a decent person, right?

    Try to stop beating yourself up.

    I have memories from when I was five of my mom telling me how much she hated her legs and butt. That's sad.

    She carried around a lot of insecurity about her appearance. What a heavy, useless burden.

    And the crazy thing is, she was quite a beautiful woman.

    Originally Posted by Rihannon
    I would like to simply not care so much about it, and to focus my energy on more important thoughts.
    That's a useful technique, actually. You can start by simply noticing the negative thought and NOT JUDGING IT. Just notice it. Then shift your attention to something more enjoyable.

  5.  

  6. #15
    Platinum Member figureitout23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,406
    Originally Posted by Rihannon
    I am going to the beach soon on a trip with lots of people. I started feeling anxious about this and then it occurred to me how big a waste it would be to let this ruin a chance to connect with other people and really appreciate time with them.

    I tend to oscillate from not caring at all, to letting it ruin my day. And that is just so SO profoundly silly. I would like to simply not care so much about it, and to focus my energy on more important thoughts. I know that I have allowed superficial values to hinder my relationships with people. I judge myself and others too harshly. I want to be accepting, to look at people and really SEE them with empathy, as being complex people. And I would like to see myself that way, too. I think for many women it begins with body image and forgiving your flaws. I don;t know. I want to be a more positive and substantial person; not just about body image but in terms of values.
    You’re treating the symptom ( cellulite ) and ignoring the disease ( anxiety ) fix the disease and the symptoms go away. See a Dr. or if you’re able a counselor.

  7. #16
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    216
    Originally Posted by figureitout23
    Are you doing anything about your anxiety?

    That seems to be the common theme of your posts...
    I'm trying to change my mindset and I will try to start rituals like praying and meditating. I also think, there's a certain amount of intentionally looking to the positive people around me as examples. I can choose who to focus on.

  8. #17
    Platinum Member DancingFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wilds of Texas
    Posts
    9,794
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Rihannon
    I am going to the beach soon on a trip with lots of people. I started feeling anxious about this and then it occurred to me how big a waste it would be to let this ruin a chance to connect with other people and really appreciate time with them.

    I tend to oscillate from not caring at all, to letting it ruin my day. And that is just so SO profoundly silly. I would like to simply not care so much about it, and to focus my energy on more important thoughts. I know that I have allowed superficial values to hinder my relationships with people. I judge myself and others too harshly. I want to be accepting, to look at people and really SEE them with empathy, as being complex people. And I would like to see myself that way, too. I think for many women it begins with body image and forgiving your flaws. I don;t know. I want to be a more positive and substantial person; not just about body image but in terms of values.
    What people are attracted to more than anything under the sun isn't your physical appearance but your charisma. Let your hair down and allow yourself to have fun, be you, be who cares kind of an attitude and you'll find that the world will bask in your sunshine and want more of it.

    On another note, physical attraction has little to do with looks and everything to do with genetics, pheromones to be exact. The invisible stuff our bodies are spreading around and various noses picking up. You aren't conscious of it. It's really base animal instinct level stuff and as much as we want to tell ourselves that we control attraction, we actually do not. If you can wrap your mind around that, you might find that liberating in the sense that the right match for you will be irresistibly drawn to you no matter what.

  9. #18
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    216
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    Are you serious? You're hanging around the wrong crowd, honey. Some men find it very attractive and I have no problem with mine. Love it actually and totally own it, curves and everything. I've been from size 0 to 6 at various points of my life. I'm at a comfortable 6 and had cellulite since I was a 0 as a teenager. Take it easy and don't get too hung up on that sort of thing. It's hot. That type of shaming is for a different planet.
    I just can't see it as attractive! At least, not on myself. I have salami skin, kind of see-through. Self-tanner helps but man that stuff is smelly and rubs off on sheets and clothes. And again, that's just a band-aid for insecurity. I'm here, I'm pale, I'm bumpy. Love it or leave it.

  10. #19
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    216
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    What people are attracted to more than anything under the sun isn't your physical appearance but your charisma. Let your hair down and allow yourself to have fun, be you, be who cares kind of an attitude and you'll find that the world will bask in your sunshine and want more of it.

    On another note, physical attraction has little to do with looks and everything to do with genetics, pheromones to be exact. The invisible stuff our bodies are spreading around and various noses picking up. You aren't conscious of it. It's really base animal instinct level stuff and as much as we want to tell ourselves that we control attraction, we actually do not. If you can wrap your mind around that, you might find that liberating in the sense that the right match for you will be irresistibly drawn to you no matter what.
    I agree. And here's the thing. I'm married to a wonderful guy who thinks I am beautiful. He loves my body and my skin. This is all just my own nonsense in my own head. No one is making me feel like this except myself. That's why I'm going to stop caring. There, I'm saying that I am going to stop caring. No more saying I want to or will try to, it's a plan. I will stop caring.

  11. #20
    Platinum Member Rose Mosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    2,073
    Gender
    Female
    I used to be bothered. That's was because I saw unrealistic ideals in photoshopped images. We are plastered everywhere by images that are unreal. When my husband first told me cellulite was hot, I looked at him like he turned into a baked potato. I started to take a very good look at the images that we see on a daily basis in magazines, movies, in malls, plastered on floor to ceiling posters and my eyes started seeing images that were unrealistic and alien to me. I looked at myself in the mirror differently and began to interpret differences in the way I used to think regarding my skin, body type, hair type and markings. I realized I'd been institutionalized and indoctrinated by what society deemed ok or correct and for the first time in my life I felt it surge up in my blood, a very deep sense of betrayal and anger, towards all the companies that ever have taught women to believe one type of image or one type of look is perfect. I asked myself questions about my role models growing up from my mother to every woman I'd known who had betrayed me or any young girl into thinking that we were not good enough. Yes, there was a lot of anger. But it wasn't directed towards myself. Eventually it ran out.

    I came to realize at the end of the day that I have never changed. Only my outlook and my perspective has changed over time, large enough (thankfully) to encompass different thoughts and a new opinion of myself. That turned from caring (caring about my image) to demanding (demanding that I live my way, no make up, cellulite and all). I think the answer is not in caring anymore but in caring so deeply that you are able to make sense of that self-rejection, anger, acceptance and finally supreme and utter self-love that nothing or anyone can take away from you.

    My advice is not to not care. It's to care deeply and live deeply. Love yourself deeply and really see yourself for what you are, totally and completely.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •