Another girl won't let me follow her on Instagram?

rchubn

Some background, I'm a straight female and I went to high school with this girl and we had a few conversations during class and we were chat buddies during class. Now it's 4 years later and I recently came across her Instagram account and thought "why not follow, she was nice to me in high school" thing is, she rejected my request!

I'm seeking more friendships and I thought adding someone that I remember I enjoyed chatting with would be a good step towards finding some friends.

I always looked up to her in high school because she dressed really nice, was really good a makeup, was really sweet and seemed like a good friend and everyone liked her.

Did I do something wrong here?

4 years is a really long time, especially when you are reaching back to high school. Could be she didn't recognize you, could be she simply left high school and all the people there behind and wants to keep it that way. You didn't do anything wrong and you shouldn't take this personally.

Overall, though, when looking for friends, better to look in real life than try to connect/reconnect online. Find some hobbies, volunteer for things. Do what interests you and you'll meet like minded people and start connecting with some of them. Building friendships takes time, work, and effort even when you meet people you really click with.

See if your high school/college has alumni or reunion groups on FB. Do not take it personally. Some people only have very close friend/family on social media. Try joining some other groups or clubs or volunteering to start making more friends. This way you already have something in common. Approaching people one-on-one 4 years later is a bit of a long shot.

I'm seeking more friendships and I thought adding someone that I remember I enjoyed chatting with would be a good step towards finding some friends.

Instead of trying to make more friends through the superficial medium that social sites are, why don't you join a meet up group or a co-ed sports team or sign up for an interesting class that will get you meeting people in REAL LIFE?

After four years of never even talking to you, she probably has no interest in starting up something with someone who she only chatted with in class. That doesn't make her close minded or misguided or anything else negative, it just makes her not interested in someone she barely knows following her life. Don't take it personally because it very likely wasn't anything of the sort.

Here is a link to a site that will get you doing things you are interested in with people that have the same interest.

http://www.meetup.com

or

http://www.meetmarketadventures.com (hopefully they have a chapter where you live).

Good luck.

I wouldn’t take it personally. It could be any number of reasons, none of which really matter in the grand scheme of things.

My favorite Dr. Seuss quote is

“Your opinion of me is none of my business”

I agree with the others, try not to get caught up in social media, it can really chip away at self esteem, try to grow your IRL relationships

Instead of trying to make more friends through the superficial medium that social sites are, why don't you join a meet up group or a co-ed sports team or sign up for an interesting class that will get you meeting people in REAL LIFE?

After four years of never even talking to you, she probably has no interest in starting up something with someone who she only chatted with in class. That doesn't make her close minded or misguided or anything else negative, it just makes her not interested in someone she barely knows following her life. Don't take it personally because it very likely wasn't anything of the sort.

Here is a link to a site that will get you doing things you are interested in with people that have the same interest.

http://www.meetup.com

or

http://www.meetmarketadventures.com (hopefully they have a chapter where you live).

Good luck.

I suggested this a couple of days ago. it fell on deaf ears.

OP, get out of the house! Look into groups that share your hobbies, take classes, volunteer, go to Meetups. Do any of these. Get off the computer and meet new people.

Archived