Suffering from BDD and very depressed about my appearence.

I have written a post about my disorder and I know this is a really weird request but can you tell me your head/face sizes?

In inches or cm. Forehead size (width and length) jaw size (from below the ear,where the jaw starts,to the chin) face lenght (from hairline to the end of the chin) and head circumference (all around the head,above the ears and in the middle of the forehead)

I always watch youtube videos of people measuring their heads to convince myself that I am not that different because I feel like a monster and if at least one of you have similar measures to mine's I feel relieved. That has been helping me. I could nottake my friend's measures because they would think I'm weird and they don't even know I suffer from BDD nor know about this disorder. So if you could do that I would be very thankful.

Again,I know it is weird and dont even know if I conveyed my thoughts and feelings well but I hope you all can understand.

It is not healthy to ask a forum to measure their head size in order to reassure yourself that you are normal. Have you spoken with a therapist or psychologist about your BDD? Stop watching the youtube videos. You're not processing the information in a healthy way that helps you move past your BDD. Speak to your healthcare provider or psychologist about ways to manage your BDD, not make it worse.

It is not healthy to ask a forum to measure their head size in order to reassure yourself that you are normal. Have you spoken with a therapist or psychologist about your BDD? Stop watching the youtube videos. You're not processing the information in a healthy way that helps you move past your BDD. Speak to your healthcare provider or psychologist about ways to manage your BDD, not make it worse.

I know it may be worse but I don't feel it is that way. When my anxiety kicks in and I feel horribly different and insecure I think of others' people measures and my simptoms relieve. At least that's my way of coping with it so far. It has been no help at all my therapist telling me that everyone is different because yeah,everyone is different but in a similiar way,I'm different to everyone in a bad way since I didn't know anyone with such a small head/face as mine's. So yeah,there are people in different shapes and sizes but when I look at them they kind of look similiar,I look unbelivable small and my therapist telling my that everyone is different does not help me to cope with the inadequacy sympstoms. Having the same head size as other individual kind of make me think that yes I am not that different,people with my same size do exist..

You're playing into your insecurity and anxiety about measuring up to a certain standard (sizes). This is why answers that you like (about sizes) make you feel better and answers you do not like do not make you feel good. You become a rollercoaster and unstable. You are unstable with your BDD unchecked.

What you should be doing is accepting and loving yourself exactly the way that you are on your own terms regardless of how small or big you are.

Do Not Post photos. Here or anywhere else. That last thing you need is random people making all sorts of comments. If mean people make mean comments it will hurt you, if people make nice comments you won't believe them. This is what BDD is all about. Not believing anything. Listen to your doctors and if you still can't get along with the therapist, tell your doctor next time.

I can't even post photos of myself to my social networks..And yeah,I am on meds for anxiety but now they are not helping
I can't even post photos of myself to my social networks..

And yeah,I am on meds for anxiety but now they are not helping

Then go back to your psychiatrist and tell him that they are not helping so that they can put you on something else.

Why can't you post photos of yourself? What stops you?

Do Not Post photos. Here or anywhere else. That last thing you need is random people making all sorts of comments. If mean people make mean comments it will hurt you, if people make nice comments you won't believe them. This is what BDD is all about. Not believing anything. Listen to your doctors and if you still can't get along with the therapist, tell your doctor next time.

Then go back to your psychiatrist and tell him that they are not helping so that they can put you on something else.

Why can't you post photos of yourself? What stops you?

I just can't... my appearance depresses me and even if I took photo in which I think I look good that's not my 'real me' . You know people tend to use their good side,angles,lightening,editing. I look decent in photos but in real life I'm deformed.

If you think you look "decent" in photos then you are decent in real life too. Please go back to your psychiatrist, get in as soon as you can and get your meds changed up.

Frankly, no one here is going to be able to give you solace about your anxiety over your looks. (Picture or no) You are convinced that you aren't normal and that needs professional help to get over.

You look fine, I'm sure and ongoing therapy will help you be convinced you do.

Comparisons and seeking reassurance are classic BDD behaviours which will only serve to make you worse, not better. Your therapist needs to be working through with you why you place excessive value on appearance above all your other qualities, and help you find ways to redirect your attention. As a fellow sufferer, that's what my therapist did with me.

I know this is a really weird request but can you tell me your head/face sizes?

No. With millions of people in the world, there are millions of different measurements, and since you're already watching enough youtube to learn what's average, what's the point in my contribution to that?

Healing isn't something that happens 'to' us, it requires our participation. If you want to feed a useless obsession, you can do that, it's not against the law--it just won't buy you any progress toward healing or peace.

Archived