Stay at home mom going back to work

I'm a stay at home mom, and I need to get back to work, of course, is a matter of a personal situation plus financial independence. Eleven years of not being active in the job market is a lot; when I was writing my resume, I noticed the gap, of course, I filled in all the volunteering, extracurricular activities and so on. I saw recruiters "look" at my profile, I get "likes" on the posts I write on Linkedin, but no interviews, nada!

Am I missing something? Or that is how the process is? I mean, it has been a while since I look for a job.

Thanks in advance ;)

When i was laid off years ago, the local unemployment office had interviewing classes and had someone who would look at your resume. That's exactly where i would go. I would also look up any networking groups that are in your field if you were in any particular field before you started being a stay at home mom.

You're going to have to do a bit more than posts on LinkedIn to find a career in your field of study. If you're feeling a bit scattered and spread thin with the kids and home life, it's ok to take a weekend or a couple of days to think carefully about where you see yourself in the next few years. Things don't just happen overnight. Good for you for thinking about your volunteer work and previous activities but this won't be enough.

Go back and have a good look at your area of studies and think about where you can go with your chosen field (I'm referencing your graduate studies in the other thread). If you are searching for quick fixes online, it's not going to work. LinkedIn works better for individuals who have remained in their industries for awhile and established their networks. I cannot say I've ever used LinkedIn for anything and I don't have an account there - wasn't useful for me. Your graduate studies program may have a professional association of some sort where job boards are available. If you don't have a professional designation, you may want to advance your studies or think more about a realistic career plan.

It's not the end of the world coming back after awhile. Take a good look at yourself and ask yourself whether you'd hire yourself based on your strengths and weaknesses and your job-readiness (training). What do you have to offer?

Network! If you're in church, mingle a lot, get the word out that you're looking for a job, rub elbows with your brethren and make connections.

Since you're a SAHM, network at your kids' school with other parents, join the PTA and make a lot of friends. If your kids are involved organized in sports, do the same thing and network with other parents and their spouses.

All of my jobs were found through connections, on the golf course, at my kid's birthday parties whether as a host or guest, family dinner gatherings which included friends of my parents, neighbors, clubs and groups.

For one of my jobs, my father's friend had an executive level position at a large corporation, he personally spoke with my dept manager and the two men created a position for me. My father's friend called me at night and instructed me to report to work at 7AM the following morning. This was after I was laid off from my previous dept due to budget cuts. I attained my new plum job within 24 hrs of being laid off. My former night shift co-workers were in shock! They couldn't believe it. :p

It's not always what you know, it's who you know that gets you there. Also, look into on-the-job training to get your foot in the door.

I never went through HR or traditional methods such as applying on the outside. I went through the back door. :tongue:

Have you actually applied to any places or are you just posting your resume online and expecting people to contact you?

I think that most employers do not punish you for taking child rearing time off so note it on your resume that you were a "Domestic Goddess" for the last ___ years. :D

Good luck.

What field are looking for employment in?

I don't think merely posting something on Linkedin and hoping someone reaches out to you will work. Not unless you have some higher degree of education and years of experience in a demanding and lucrative field.

I started over after having stayed home with my sons for 13 years. I created a resume and reached out to companies that were hiring at the time. I was contacted within a day and had an interview within 2 days. I got hired as an entry level receptionist and within 18 months was promoted to another position.

Consider applying at many temp agencies. Not online, make appointments to interview and get on their active rosters. No decent agency has jobs lying around, so don't get discouraged when they all say that they have nothing at the moment. Start by applying at the places closest to you, then expand your radius with one appointment per morning, at least 3 per week, until you're called for placement.

Agencies can place you in different environments so you can assess which are the best cultural and potential career fit for you, and you'll have access to apply for better jobs from within that are never advertised to the public. It doesn't matter what temp roles you perform, the goal is to get inside and form relationships as you learn about the opportunities you'll never find on an external job board.

Head high, and fingers crossed for you.

In addition to LinkedIn and recruiters (passive search) you need to actively search. This may mean browsing ads on job sites, networking and most of all taking some courses/classes to refresh your skills. College job boards are also a resource. Allowing just a LinkedIn profile and recruiters is too passive.

Also make sure your head shot, profile and resume look professional. Make sure you are not filling the gaps with too much mom stuff. In fact filling in gaps isn't that important theses days. Read up on how to write a better resume. If they are looking but not even contacting you it means the LinkedIn profile and resume are the issue.

Is this in preparation for divorce or for personal fulfillment? If it's the former, talk to an attorney not to file for divorce but to learn about your options and what it entails financially for you.

I'm a stay at home mom, and I need to get back to work. I saw recruiters "look" at my profile, I get "likes" on the posts I write on Linkedin, but no interviews, nada!

Archived