LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really good friend is pregnant!

Really good friend is pregnant!

One of my really good friends just told me she's pregnant and I'm beyond excited for her. She's only 6 weeks and told me not many people know yet, and that she wants to tell only her closest friends and family for now.

We are going to brunch this weekend and my question is, do I bring her a little gift or is that just not appropriate, given how fragile an early pregnancy can be? Should I wait until she makes an official announcement? I want to show my joy and support, but don't want to be too much either.

Thanks!

I think bringing her a little gift is a lovely gesture. It warms the heart, and while I'm not a physician I do believe that warm hearts are essential in those early, fragile days of pregnancy.

thanks blue :)

Are you talking about a gift for her or for the baby?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Maybe get her a card?

Platinum Member
    I wouldnít. Not yet. There will be tons of time to spoil her and the baby.

Not to be a Debbie Downer - but something like 30% of pregnancies end in miscarriage - and 80% of those are in the first trimester. Thatís why people donít usually announce to everyone right away... there is still a high chance that the pregnancy might not ętakeĽ. Basically, you donít want to get toooo excited while the risk is still high. Should the worst happen, people usually want to grieve privately.

Right now I would just be happy with her and let her gush. You can start to buy presents towards the end of the year...

Thatís my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by SarahLancaster
    Are you talking about a gift for her or for the baby?
    Im not really sure yet.

Originally Posted by RedDress
    I wouldnít. Not yet. There will be tons of time to spoil her and the baby.

Not to be a Debbie Downer - but something like 30% of pregnancies end in miscarriage - and 80% of those are in the first trimester. Thatís why people donít usually announce to everyone right away... there is still a high chance that the pregnancy might not ętakeĽ. Basically, you donít want to get toooo excited while the risk is still high. Should the worst happen, people usually want to grieve privately.

Right now I would just be happy with her and let her gush. You can start to buy presents towards the end of the year...

Thatís my 2 cents.
    That's why I was apprehensive. Thank you!

I think a gift for the baby would be premature (no pun intended). A little gift for her would be lovely.

I'd meet with her and enjoy her company, listen to her and be excited for her. I'm like you and I like to give a lot but 99% check myself because it's just not appropriate and it's not what the other person is looking for. You expressing your joy and support for her regardless of whatever circumstances she's in or what her personal struggles are (only you know that as her friend) speaks greater volumes. Remain constant in your support during the pregnancy. She'll have mood swings and will probably want to yell bloody murder at the end but be there for her. You can shower her and the baby with gifts in due time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice