Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really good friend is pregnant!

Originally Posted by BecxyRex
    Im not really sure yet.
    I'm with Sarah on this one: For her I think it would be a lovely gesture. For the baby, well, we have a superstition about that so buying something for the baby before the third trimester is a no no.

You can if you want to, however, I would wait until later or when she has a baby shower.

Really good points everyone. I think if anything, I might just get a tiny something for her, but definitely not for baby yet. Thank you!

Really good points everyone. I think if anything, I might just get a tiny something for her, but definitely not for baby yet. Thank you!
    That's what I was assuming from the start. A nice candle, say, not a rattle.

Platinum Member
    I would not - just be a thoughtful friend. Wish her well for a smooth pregnancy and ask her how she is feeling. You can bring her some ginger chews if you want - those are great for morning sickness as long as she doesn’t consume the entire bag at once (if you eat tons of ginger there’s one study it increases risk of miscarriage.
    Asking how she is feeling is always appreciated. On the negative side when I was in my second trimester and showing and my friend knew I was expecting we had a two to three hour dinner and even though I obviously looked a bit tired and was moving a bit slowly she never asked me once how I was doing or feeling. But talked a lot about how she was feeling. All I wanted was just one quick “so how are you feeling ?” That didn’t overshadow the support and thoughtfulness I did get but I sure remembered it. Have fun at brunch !

Platinum Member
    One of my really good friends just told me she's pregnant and I'm beyond excited for her. She's only 6 weeks and told me not many people know yet, and that she wants to tell only her closest friends and family for now.

We are going to brunch this weekend and my question is, do I bring her a little gift or is that just not appropriate, given how fragile an early pregnancy can be? Should I wait until she makes an official announcement? I want to show my joy and support, but don't want to be too much either.

Thanks!
    Why not just offer to cover her half of the bill at brunch?

Wishing your friend all the best in terms of her pregnancy, however if things don’t go according to plan, even if you do purchase a small trinket just for her, it could trigger bad thoughts/memories whenever she sees it.

I’d hold off on purchasing any gifts until her baby shower. Or if she doesn’t have a shower, I’d surprise her with a gift after the baby is born.

Buy her lunch!

Flowers.

They are joyful and a very nice gesture. But won't be a reminder like a baby gift would be should something happen.

Platinum Member
    I think maybe only get a gift after the first trimester of pregnancy has passed. It's true that miscarriages often occur in the first trimester. I'm not that superstitious but in the Eastern European country where I'm originally from, it's considered bad luck to get anything at all for the baby until the baby is actually born. If you were going to get anything for the mother though you probably can but maybe just wait another month and a bit.

Something for her, like flowers and a card, or something small and personal and covering her brunch, would be a beautiful gesture to express your happiness and love for her. Too early to make it about baby, but I'm always for treating a friend to nice surprises whenever possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice