How to cope with body dysmorphic disorder?

Butterfly44o

I know this may not be the ideal forum to talk about this because it is a "psychiatrist's topic" but your advice could really help me as well as venting my feelings where people won't judge me and maybe understand me.

The thing is I have body dysmorphic disorder,it is not not like I perceive (on my appearence) thing that are not like that,actually I have very noticeable flaws and I can't stop thinking about them and it is making me depressed,unable to live my life to the fullest. I've been obssesed over my face/head,which is the smallest I've ever seen,I don't have any type of disease or congenital condition,unfortunately my face is just like that and I'm 24/7 measuring my face/head and comparing my sizes to people I watch on youtube measuring their heads. I always compare myself to my friends or random people in the streets and automatically when I see my image compared to someone else reflected im the mirror I always look incredible small and my mood goes down horribly. I just wish I could accept myself and understand that although there are few or hardly any people with my physical traits (being too small) I am normal. I don't want to feel deformed or out of place whenever I go out. My head is 21 inches and I watched girls on youtube whose head is 21 inches and that kind of comforts me but then I look myself at the mirror and I look so small and these girls whose head is the same as me look normal, I dont know why despite having the same sizes I still look small compared to anyone. I've been like this almost this whole year,I'm seeing a psychiatrist and terapist,the latter does not help me,she says such absurd thing it makes me want to cry. She just says obvious thing,which things could be said by my friends not by a qualified professional! Things like you should try a new hairstyle and I'm like.. I'm telling you I feel so ugly I don't even want to make the effort to groom myself. I don't know what to do

A psychiatrist generally treats the underlying biochemical issues such as mood disorders, etc. A therapist generally confronts your cognitive distortions including pointing out precisely what you mentioned.

A therapist tries to normalize your thought process and pull you away from the distortions, and you find it unpleasant, but that is what cognitive behavioral therapy is all about. Confronting distressing and distorted thoughts.

If you want to be sick and upset and argue with the therapist, that's ok, but therapy is not there to be fun or tell you what you want to hear to feed your distortions. Only quacks do that..

I'm seeing a psychiatrist and terapist,the latter does not help me,she says such absurd thing it makes me want to cry. She just says obvious thing,which things could be said by my friends not by a qualified professional! Things like you should try a new hairstyle and I'm like.. I'm telling you I feel so ugly I don't even want to make the effort to groom myself.
A psychiatrist generally treats the underlying biochemical issues such as mood disorders, etc. A therapist generally confronts your cognitive distortions including pointing out precisely what you mentioned.

A therapist tries to normalize your thought process and pull you away from the distortions, and you find it unpleasant, but that is what cognitive behavioral therapy is all about. Confronting distressing and distorted thoughts.

If you want to be sick and upset and argue with the therapist, that's ok, but therapy is not there to be fun or tell you what you want to hear to feed your distortions. Only quacks do that..

I think my psychiatrist is very good and way more professional. But I got mad at my therapist because as I said I told her about my issues,the obssesion,depression and anxiety it causes me to look myself at the mirror and comparing myself to everyone and her answer is bull! The last time I saw her she told me "you should try a nee hairstyle,make up,try buying clothes that fit your body and you're comfortable with" but that is stupid,it is exactly what I am telling I don't want to do.

Be honest am I exagerating? Is she doing well? Because I really don't think that comments help me at all to relieve my compulsive thoughts and behaviour. It doesn't but if that's how it works then I think I'll just have to accept it and do what my therapist tells me to do..

Your therapist may not have experience in this area so is suggesting things that make sense to her based on her experience with others.

It's important to challenge your thinking and not just look for someone that will follow you down the rabbit hole of destructive thinking.

That being said, if it's been a pattern of her dismissing you and your feelings you may want to find someone else.

Yes, find another therapist that will address your anxiety and depression and when you win the battle with those two things, perhaps your obsessive thinking about your head size will diminish as well. Does your psychiatrist have you on meds for depression and anxiety?

My psychiatrist prescripted me anti psychotics but they aren't helping with the "depression" symptoms and obsessive thoughts. I think anti depressants would be better for me...

Archived