Admitted to a private university but

Hi,

I would like to go back to school and earn a Master's Degree. I applied to a public university and got rejected so I applied to a private university. I don't know what to do because the difference in cost is huge. Public colleges offer grants and I really wish I hadn't been rejected. People tell me I can always try applying again next year and that's true but what if I get rejected again :icon_sad: I feel like I'm going to waste time and I am almost 30. If I go to the private university I will most likely have to take out loans and that scares me. What should I do?

Thank you

Can you work your way through college? A lot of students either work full or part-time during college. 30 is not old. You'll be 40 before you know it.

Can you live at home while you're enrolled in college? If you take out a loan, you can pay off your debts faster if you don't have big bills to pay such as rent, utilities, insurance, food, etc. Can your parents help offset the cost?

I'd try your best to keep out of the debt, especially the high cost of the private uni.

So yes, what was the reason for the rejection. Figure out how to remedy that. Apply to other public uni's as well in your state. A year or two is nothing compared to crippling debt. Contrary to all the advertising, no you aren't going to get such a huge difference in salary and career advancement just because of the degree that it will totally cover the cost. That's a very dangerous myth being peddled all over the place. The more accurate reality is that your lifestyle will go down despite higher income as your student debt payments suck you dry.

Use your head and do your math instead of getting all emotional about this or you will pay dearly for it and live to regret it.

Can you work your way through college? A lot of students either work full or part-time during college. 30 is not old. You'll be 40 before you know it.

Can you live at home while you're enrolled in college? If you take out a loan, you can pay off your debts faster if you don't have big bills to pay such as rent, utilities, insurance, food, etc. Can your parents help offset the cost?

Yes, I will be working but at some point I will have to cut my hours. I am low-income and my parents can't help me pay for college. I do live with my parents and that helps me save money but I live in California and everything is expensive. It will take me years to pay off my debts. Thank you for your reply.

The letter I received did not give a specific reason it just says that their decision was based on different factors such as GPA, Test Scores, Interview, etc. I honestly think it might have been the interview. The day of the interview they had us write an essay and then we had a group interview. I was nervous and I think they might have noticed.

Pull up your grades and scores. Take some college entrance help courses. Also why can't you apply for financial assistance in the other college? You need to speak to the admissions people there and discuss this.

Hi,

I applied to a public university and got rejected so I applied to a private university. I don't know what to do because the difference in cost is huge.

Yes, I was thinking about applying to other public universities but they won't be accepting applications yet. I think most public universities start to accept applications in December. I only applied to one and I do regret not applying to more. I really want to go to the public university I applied to.

I really don't want to be in debt. I'll have to figure out why I got rejected but I think it was the interview. I have to wait until they start accepting applications again. You're right I could wait but sometimes I feel like I'm running out of time. I want to have a career and a higher income. That's true and I know I can get the same education at a public university and possibly for free. Thank you for your advice.

I think I could retake some courses and I need to improve my interview skills. I called the financial aid office but it looks like I have to wait until I get a student ID. I honestly think they're just going to offer me loans. I will make a decision after I speak to them. Thank you.

Yes, I will be working but at some point I will have to cut my hours. I am low-income and my parents can't help me pay for college. I do live with my parents and that helps me save money but I live in California and everything is expensive. It will take me years to pay off my debts. Thank you for your reply.

I would continue applying to public colleges and avoid private college debts as much as possible. You are fortunate to live with your parents to offset costs such as rent, utilities, food, insurance, etc.

Never give up. You will figure this out and make it work. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I worked night shift, full time 40 hours a week, enrolled in college full time by day while I financially supported my widowed my mother and younger siblings. I paid for my own car, gas, insurance, tuition, books, clothing and still managed to save some money every month. I didn't realize how tough and strong I was at such a young age back in the day. If I can do it, so can you. It takes pure grit.

Archived