My Relationship Just Ended. Hear my story

It was a 6 year relationship.

We had a break after 4 years. Then we got back together again. She ended it and she reached out to me after a year and we fell in love again.

The second one was much much better as both of us had fully moved on and grown as individuals.

During the past 2 years the arguments we had was as little as 2. We were that happy.

I have been in relationships before and in the past I've been able to recognize when something feels off months or weeks before the break up.

This time there was nothing like that . I started sensing something was wrong only 2 days ago and when I kept asking her about it she finally opened up and said that we can't be together anymore. These are her reasons.

She started becoming increasingly spiritual at the beginning of this year. It started with simple things like tarrot and yoga. And after a few months she started talking about being able to communicate with gods and angels, being able to connect to other dimensions etc. I'm an atheist myself however I never had a problem with anyone having faith in anything, I always respected them for their choices and their way of life, specially my girlfriend so I never for one moment responded negatively to her. Although it did bother me sometimes as I felt like she was going way too far with this and at times I even wondered if she was okay psychologically, although I never expressed that to her.

So fast forward to yesterday she tells me that she was able to see the future through her third eye and she can't see me in it. And that god told her that I have someone better waiting for me. She also tells me that she can no longer be with me because she needs someone who can relate to her about her spiritual experiences and I can't offer that to her.

After asking her to reconsider her decision to several times, I gave up. I'm ready to move on. What's sad is that we had a great relationship and it had to end on ideological reasons. We pretty much liked the same things except for this. I have no resentment towards her but I feel broken and I'm truly going to miss her. Thanks

Of all the reasons we get why the ex has got to go, this pretty much takes the cake...sux*

That damn Tarot is dangerous stuff. Added MONTHS to my healing and moving on! Mainly coz they ALL kept saying she was coming back...

Even though I knew she wasn’t, before I knew it I was addicted to those damn things :-/

Sorry for your loss*

Carus*

She started becoming increasingly spiritual at the beginning of this year. It started with simple things like tarrot and yoga. And after a few months she started talking about being able to communicate with gods and angels, being able to connect to other dimensions etc. I'm an atheist myself however I never had a problem with anyone having faith in anything, I always respected them for their choices and their way of life, specially my girlfriend so I never for one moment responded negatively to her. Although it did bother me sometimes as I felt like she was going way too far with this and at times I even wondered if she was okay psychologically, although I never expressed that to her.

It sounds like you were right to be concerned, OP. I can appreciate that people have different faiths and beliefs, but given how long you knew here, I can imagine you were alarmed by the changes in her that you were observing.

It is going to be best to accept that it's over so you can move on. You may have once had a lot in common, but it appears she's on a very different path now which would make the relationship very difficult to maintain.

Sounds like someone with mental health issues. Or she's just full of crap. After all, she doesn't have to self reflect nor be accountable if it's some higher power making these decisions.

You know, in relationships, I think, it's important to be honest and open even if it sometimes makes the other guy uncomfortable. I think you should have shared your feelings earlier on, about your concern for her mental well being. It may not have meant a life long relationship together, but that's big stuff to stifle out of fear of her thinking you may be intolerant in some way. And how far she went over that period of time is concerning.

I don't think this is an ideological difference at all , that's not the problem. The problem is she's been getting progressively nuttier, and you've been trying to pretend it was all ok.

Seems like you may be right in being concerned about her mental health. While certainly there is no harm in being interested in spiritual stuff and it is quite comparable to a religion, seems like she has lost touch with reality here.

Nothing you can do about that though, it is sad your relationship had to end over this.

Sounds like someone with mental health issues. Or she's just full of crap. After all, she doesn't have to self reflect nor be accountable if it's some higher power making these decisions.

You know, in relationships, I think, it's important to be honest and open even if it sometimes makes the other guy uncomfortable. I think you should have shared your feelings earlier on, about your concern for her mental well being. It may not have meant a life long relationship together, but that's big stuff to stifle out of fear of her thinking you may be intolerant in some way. And how far she went over that period of time is concerning.

I don't think this is an ideological difference at all , that's not the problem. The problem is she's been getting progressively nuttier, and you've been trying to pretend it was all ok.

Thanks. The reason I could never say anything was because she never responded positively to any criticism. She would think I'm arguing with her and halt the conversation or escalate it.

Besides her sister was into the same stuff too. So no matter what I said, she was there to reaffirm her beliefs and enable her. She in fact was the one who introduced my ex to these things.

Sorry to hear this. What was the breakup about back then? Is she in a cult-like group/situation that discourages her from seeing 'outsiders'? Perhaps these charlatans she's consulting told her that you're "not in her third eye future" so they can isolate her from "skeptics" and bilk her out of more cash. Maybe it's just New Age mumbojumbo talk instead of just breaking up with people the usual way and taking responsibility for it, who knows?

However, whatever the reasons, she doesn't see you in her future whatever astral plane she wants to claim it's on. Sad situation. You can't save her but for your own awareness, read books by Steven Hassan, a respected author on cults and their dynamics.

-Combating Cult Mind Control

-Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves

-Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults, and Beliefs.

We had a break after 4 years.

-And after a few months she started talking about being able to communicate with gods and angels, being able to connect to other dimensions etc.

it did bother me sometimes as I felt like she was going way too far with this and at times I even wondered if she was okay psychologically, although I never expressed that to her.

-she was able to see the future through her third eye and she can't see me in it.

Sorry to hear this. What was the breakup about back then? Is she in a cult-like group/situation that discourages her from seeing 'outsiders'? Perhaps these charlatans she's consulting told her that you're "not in her third eye future" so they can isolate her from "skeptics" and bilk her out of more cash. Maybe it's just New Age mumbojumbo talk instead of just breaking up with people the usual way and taking responsibility for it, who knows?

However, whatever the reasons, she doesn't see you in her future whatever astral plane she wants to claim it's on. Sad situation. You can't save her but for your own awareness, read books by Steven Hassan, a respected author on cults and their dynamics.

-Combating Cult Mind Control

-Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves

-Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults, and Beliefs.

We broke up the first time because we used to fight quite often. Both of us had financial and emotional issues and this caused us to argue all the time.

She was not in any cults the moment she broke up with me. However she has been in 2 cults. When she was in them I didn't attempt to save her from them because I had read that trying to do so will only cause them to cling harder. So I hoped that she would eventually see the light. She eventually left both of them not because she disagreed with the beliefs, because she came to realize that the people involved in these cults are not who they claim to be and can be very toxic at times. These cults however contributed a lot to driving her down the path she is today.

I will definitely check out those books.

Archived