forced treatment for mental health. nightmere

t510

dear enotlaone

I am being forced treatment (antipsychotic ) medication. if i don't take it the police come to get me. It has ruined my life. I feel terrible. I know I need a different psychiatrist, but it is not that easy since everyone runs away once they've heard my current one is forcing treatment. It has caused significant physical side effects and I hate the psychological changes.

I am fighting it with a lawyer. However, they almost always rule in favor of the doctor. multiple professionals met me at the hospital and reviewed my medical records and said "the doctor has nothing on you""i think you're thinking very clearly". I also got a second opinion from a forensic psychiatrist who said I had 0 psychotic symptoms upon review and testing. I told my story to the governing body for doctors and they said they want me to file a complaint.

I don't know what to do. my current one is piece of s he lies, and is basically relying on baseless allegations from family members who I hate to determine a diagnosis .

Do you have any advice. I've been going to therapy too it really helps. does anyone know if CBT is an alternative option?

Do you have any advice. does anyone know if CBT is an alternative option?

I think this is impossible for a bunch of strangers on the internet to answer considering we don't have any medical/professional experience and have no idea what your mental history is.

I'm having a hard time understanding why it is that you have "met with multiple professionals who reviewed your medical records" and "got a second opinion from a forensic psychiatrist" ... and "told your story to the governing body for doctors", and you have seen psychiatrists AND a lawyer .... - and yet no-one can answer your question if CBT is an alternative?? It's really confusing.

Also, WHO exactly is forcing you to be on anti-psychotic treatment/medication, and WHY?

dear enotlaone

I am being forced treatment (antipsychotic ) medication. if i don't take it the police come to get me. It has ruined my life. I feel terrible. I know I need a different psychiatrist, but it is not that easy since everyone runs away once they've heard my current one is forcing treatment. It has caused significant physical side effects and I hate the psychological changes.

I am fighting it with a lawyer. However, they almost always rule in favor of the doctor. multiple professionals met me at the hospital and reviewed my medical records and said "the doctor has nothing on you""i think you're thinking very clearly". I also got a second opinion from a forensic psychiatrist who said I had 0 psychotic symptoms upon review and testing. I told my story to the governing body for doctors and they said they want me to file a complaint.

I don't know what to do. my current one is piece of s he lies, and is basically relying on baseless allegations from family members who I hate to determine a diagnosis .

Do you have any advice. I've been going to therapy too it really helps. does anyone know if CBT is an alternative option?

What have you been diagnosed with?

And what led you to that diagnosis?

What makes you trust a lawyer over a medical doctor?

A lawyer will take your money and not care about your health. As long as he/she “wins” their case , they won’t care about the aftermath like your family and health professionals will.

A medical professional will care about your health first and foremost.

Can you give us a little context as to why (legally) you are being forced into treatment?

In most countries, you are free to not medicate as you wish. That is one of your human rights. Police won’t get involved. The exception to this rule is if you’ve been convicted of a crime (usually a pretty serious one), were deemed “not criminally responsible” due to a mental health issue and instead of going to jail, they feel the risk you pose to society can be mitigated by simply forcing you into treatment.

In this case, you are right, you cannot choose your own doctor or treatment plan.

If this is the situation you are facing, it sounds like your only option is to find a new lawyer who may be able to advocate for you better.

Were you arrested or brought to a facility by the police? It sounds like a court ordered decision by at least two psychiatrists. What you can do is explain the side effects to your doctors and ask that your treatment plan be reviewed.

I am being forced treatment (antipsychotic ) medication. if i don't take it the police come to get me. basically relying on baseless allegations from family members who I hate to determine a diagnosis .

Archived