Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I've been gaining a lot of weight

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Keto is too extreme. You need a healthy diet intended for a lifetime.

Have you tried yoga or meditation?
    Nonsense.

I started keto about two months ago. After two years of two or three days of eating less and then saying screwit... And eating a ton again I did keto. I'm down 24 pounds. My target weight is -64 more pounds and I'm confident I'll get there.

There's an obscene amount of calories in carbs and sugars. Once I cut those off I found I could still eat a lot, but don't come close to going over my calorie limit. Instead of potato chips it's carrots and hummus or pickles, or mixed nuts for a snack. No more cookies instead I'm eating blueberries and blackberries with a shot of rediwhip.

There's a really good app called 'Lose it' It helps you to keep track of all of your food and gives you a lot of support. You might want to look into it.

Originally Posted by Rabican
    Nonsense.

I started keto about two months ago. After two years of two or three days of eating less and then saying screwit... And eating a ton again I did keto. I'm down 24 pounds. My target weight is -64 more pounds and I'm confident I'll get there.

There's an obscene amount of calories in carbs and sugars. Once I cut those off I found I could still eat a lot, but don't come close to going over my calorie limit. Instead of potato chips it's carrots and hummus or pickles, or mixed nuts for a snack. No more cookies instead I'm eating blueberries and blackberries with a shot of rediwhip.
    What about wine? Is that allowed?

Platinum Member
    [QUOTE=Rabican;7149024]Nonsense.

There's an obscene amount of calories in carbs and sugars. Once I cut those off I found I could still eat a lot, but don't come close to going over my calorie limit. Instead of potato chips it's carrots and hummus or pickles, or mixed nuts for a snack. No more cookies instead I'm eating blueberries and blackberries with a shot of rediwhip.[/QUOTE.

Good God! Twenty four pounds on 2 minutes months!

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and protein several days a week. It is more about balance and a healthy lifestyle, which includes a lot of exercise. My bad carb (bread) is only in the morning.

I thought Keto excluded many fruits and veggies? That's not good!
    Last edited by Hollyj; 07-25-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Originally Posted by Rabican
    Nonsense.

This sounds more like low carb Paleo vs Keto... It is very similar to how I eat and I also find that a super satisfying and energizing way of eating... and it has helped me maintain plenty of lean muscle while minimizing fat, even as I navigate peri menopause!

Diet and exercise. Nothing else works. No pain no gain.

All of this requires self discipline, diligence and self control just like with all things in life and all dynamics with people.

Try to also decrease your stress. If your friends are dumping on you regarding their problems, become less available. Enforce healthy boundaries with them. Speak up. Tell them you need to focus on your health and you are unqualified to dispense advice to them.

Diet and exercise are not a picnic. I don't enjoy it, however, I enjoy the afterglow, aftereffects and this is why it's non-negotiable for me.

Change the way you think, change your life. Be in control. Think of your heart health. Chronic weight gain has all sorts of repercussions such as heart disease, risk of heart attack, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol levels, liver and kidney damage, organ failure, etc.

Originally Posted by porenn
    I am the friend everyone turns to with their problems. I am overwhelmed with the problems of everyone else in addition to my own. I used to have a therapist but at some point that relationship flipped and she started sharing her problems with me. I used to have a mentor and at some point that relationship flipped and now he comes to me for help. Everyone comes to me for help. People are so inconsiderate.
    If you've taught these people that you're a terrific helper, it's really not advantageous to consider them inconsiderate. Examine your role in establishing an imbalance. When therapist began making your session about herself, did you interrupt her at any point to suggest that if she wants to reverse roles, maybe she'll reverse her charges for your time? Did you drop her to find a better therapist--even a remote one via phone or Internet until you can find someone more local? Can you consider your mentor to be a two way friendship, or must you be passive to another's leadership in order to feel permitted to ask her to function as your sounding board when you need one?

... Everyone relies on me and I have nobody on whom I can rely. There is nobody I can call.
    You don't need to ditch your friends, but since you're creative enough to come up with solutions for other people, why not apply the same problem-solving skills to your own role in these relationships? Why not learn what would happen if you message one of the same people who owe you some reciprocity, and say, "I have something I want to bounce off of you, can I borrow your ear for a moment?" If the answer is yes, phone them, and if now isn't a good time, ask them if they want to set up a time to meet for lunch or dinner. You'll learn who's willing to meet your needs over time versus those who you're better off allowing to let go.

These answers may surprise you.

Maybe it's best to credit people for some of the same vision you own for other people's stuff even while being blind to their own? You can't learn another's capabilities if you don't ask for what you want. This does not require talks about inequality or making anyone feel lousy or 'inconsiderate,' because in owning your own responsibility for equalizing your relationships, you can simply state that you need an ear to work out a problem, then go from there.

Learn who stays and who strays after that. You'll value the ones who stick around while liberating yourself from those who prove themselves to be one way streets.

One night a friend of mine called me and I said that I was feeling tired helping people make decisions and I wanted a break and she just kept talking like she didn't hear me.
    This isn't clear enough. You said, "I'm tired of helping people make decisions and need a break," and the friend likely heard, "Great! You're done with work and ready to take a break with me..."

People cannot understand that they are imposing if they're just keeping to the status quo that you've established and encouraged over time. You're the one assuming that your friends have zero to offer you without even asking them, because you're afraid to ask them based on your own assumptions. That's circular hell, and it may not be accurate.

Explore, learn who's willing to reciprocate your listening skills, and then decide whether or not you'll want to round out your social life by making more friends. If so, you'll decide how much equality you'll want to establish with each relationship based on the mistakes from which you've learned in the past.

Meanwhile, apply your circular hell to your eating habits, and you may find it easier to stop stuffing. You're stuffing your own voice, and you're chasing it down with food. Maybe if you liberate your voice, you won't feel a need to pack it down?

Head high, and take the steps to recognize that you may not be as alone as you imagine.

Hi there, you are not alone. Many turn to food or alcohol when stressed. The problem is it just makes things worse. Obviously you are needing something nutritionally that makes you crave these. Instead, take a quality multi and add some magnesium and ginseng and you will find you can deal better. Magnesium is depleted and yet needed in anxiety and stress. It calms the mind body and spirit. You can find it in many foods also. Ginseng is great to get rid of loopy negative thoughts. Take care of your body and you can deal better. =) Also, get outside, breathe deep, sit on grass and look up at the big earth to see the bigness of life and get some vit. D. These will help and then the problems don't seem so big. Also, regarding losing weight, if you avoid the carbs completely and esp. processed ones, you will lose weight and feel better. Just do meats, and veggies, a few high fiber fruits and healthy fats and it will melt away. <3

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice