LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've been gaining a lot of weight

Originally Posted by smackie9
    I can totally relate. What I did was I got rid of the stress....I ditch my issues with my mom, I delegated more of my work responsibilities to someone else, I now shut my husband down when he start in on complaining, and being negative, I gave myself more ME time....I am sleeping much better, which makes me feel sooooo much happier. I also stopped sweating the small stuff/little worries. So my advice is to start letting things that cause you stress GO, let it all go.

Thanks. You all have made me feel so much better. I do need to figure out how to introduce self care into my day. I think you hit the nail on the head. I need to shut people down when they bring the negativity. Or at the very least to cut it short so that it doesn't last hours. I can't tell the last time I got my nails done.

Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Make more friends. You should not limit yourself.

Have you tried volunteering, or joined any clubs that may be of interest? Clubs that involve exercise: running, walking, hiking, dancing etc.....

It is time to stop playing therapist. How exhausting.
    Thanks Holly J. And thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. I was feeling really low this morning and you all have been helpful. I dobelong ti some cubs but I stopped going when things started getting rough. Maybe that was a mistake. I will take your suggestions and see which ones will work best with my schedule. I am going to spend a little money on myself this weekend and spend some time reflecting. I have to get ready for a meeting so I will be away from the computer for a while.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by porenn
    Thanks Holly J. And thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. I was feeling really low this morning and you all have been helpful. I dobelong ti some cubs but I stopped going when things started getting rough. Maybe that was a mistake. I will take your suggestions and see which ones will work best with my schedule. I am going to spend a little money on myself this weekend and spend some time reflecting. I have to get ready for a meeting so I will be away from the computer for a while.
    All the best!

Platinum Member
    Re-read your thread here for a lot of insight into your current set of problems:

[Register to see the link]

Find a new therapist who specializes in the specific issues you mention, and print out your post and bring it in and work through it.

Your weight gain and your constant acceptance of people into your life who only want, need, and take are likely very intertwined with these childhood issues.

Silver Member
    It sounds like you and I are a LOT alike.

I have suffered from eating and weight issues my entire life. I truly don't remember a time when I didn't think I was fat. And I am a stress eater--more so a stress binge eater! I internalize stress, so having a "secret" way to cope is how I handled my issues. I would eat the whole bag of Cheetos and then follow it with a package of Tim Tams. And, for a period in my life, I would then throw up and start over (which landed me in the hospital for months!)

I have been very thin and very overweight. And then I discovered low carb/no wheat dieting. It is most certainly a diet (I don't buy in to all of that "lifestyle change" stuff). You said you tried it for a week and then gave up. Let me tell you--the first few weeks are brutal. Especially when you are used to really yummy stuff like Cheetos. But, those weeks pass. And, it becomes habit.

I'm going to tell you what worked for me. Most people would not recommend this. My health providers are OK with my diet, so I am OK.

I don't do moderation. I am not able to eat just a little of something that I love. I just can't. I can't put down the fork. So I don't even take a bite of certain things--anything with wheat or potato, corn, sugar, etc. For me, it's like giving a drug addict "just a pinch" of a drug.
    I weigh myself daily. Yes, daily. I need to see what my weight is doing each morning. Initially, seeing the numbers decrease is a HUGE incentive on the low-carb diet.
    I fast during the majority of each weekday. I eat normally on the weekends, but only over a small window of time Monday-Friday. And normally still means low-carb.

I used to get so much pleasure from food! And I absolutely miss that. But slowly, I started to see food as a means to survive--a necessity. I don't really look forward to meals much anymore. A lot of people will tell you that this is not a healthy outlook. For me, it is the only option.

One thing I actually found helpful was eating with other people. If you're like me, you like to hide the fact that your eating habits are unhealthy. The social eating aspect really keeps me in check. Especially since my friends and family know about my diet.

One more thing...put down the liquor bottle. That is a bottle of empty fat. It's totally OK to have a drink or two, but be mindful of what you are putting in your body. And exercise. With a group. Once again, accountability!

This is not an easy road, and you will get all of the advice in the book about how to change your behavior / eating habits etc.

You can only do this if you are fully committed to the change you want.

Food abuse and overeating is the cause of the majority of health problems in our aging population.

This isn't just about weight gain... by abusing food now, you are setting yourself up to be a statistic down the road.

The only thing I have found that works is changing the fundamental habits and beliefs around food. Food is not a reward - you are not a dog. Food does not need to taste delicious - it needs to nourish your body. There are no "bad" foods - only bad habits. You do not need a lot of time or money to eat well - you just need to plan ahead.

I have been following an 80/20 paleo style diet for close to 10 years now... it's been a work in progress but I have gotten better and better at it as time goes on, to the point now that I don't even think about being any other way.

A few years ago I became a student of (and subsequently a coach for) a nutrition program that teaches mindful eating and nutritional behavior changes in the form of learning new habits and practicing them. The result was life changing for me... in that I now recognize when I am stress eating vs. eating because I am hungry, how to portion properly, how to create meaningful and sustainable short, medium and long term goals based on nutrition and exercise, how to believe in myself and my ability to keep going even when I fall down.

Whatever happens OP... this needs to start with you, wanting this badly enough to be willing to walk through the fear, the discomfort, and the frustration that comes with changing habits around food... becoming part of the "no matter what" club as in, you will keep working towards your goal no matter what happens in your life.
    Last edited by maew; 07-25-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by loyal
    It sounds like you and I are a LOT alike.

I have suffered from eating and weight issues my entire life. I truly don't remember a time when I didn't think I was fat. And I am a stress eater--more so a stress binge eater! I internalize stress, so having a "secret" way to cope is how I handled my issues. I would eat the whole bag of Cheetos and then follow it with a package of Tim Tams. And, for a period in my life, I would then throw up and start over (which landed me in the hospital for months!)

I have been very thin and very overweight. And then I discovered low carb/no wheat dieting. It is most certainly a diet (I don't buy in to all of that "lifestyle change" stuff). You said you tried it for a week and then gave up. Let me tell you--the first few weeks are brutal. Especially when you are used to really yummy stuff like Cheetos. But, those weeks pass. And, it becomes habit.

I'm going to tell you what worked for me. Most people would not recommend this. My health providers are OK with my diet, so I am OK.

I don't do moderation. I am not able to eat just a little of something that I love. I just can't. I can't put down the fork. So I don't even take a bite of certain things--anything with wheat or potato, corn, sugar, etc. For me, it's like giving a drug addict "just a pinch" of a drug.
    I weigh myself daily. Yes, daily. I need to see what my weight is doing each morning. Initially, seeing the numbers decrease is a HUGE incentive on the low-carb diet.
    I fast during the majority of each weekday. I eat normally on the weekends, but only over a small window of time Monday-Friday. And normally still means low-carb.

I used to get so much pleasure from food! And I absolutely miss that. But slowly, I started to see food as a means to survive--a necessity. I don't really look forward to meals much anymore. A lot of people will tell you that this is not a healthy outlook. For me, it is the only option.

One thing I actually found helpful was eating with other people. If you're like me, you like to hide the fact that your eating habits are unhealthy. The social eating aspect really keeps me in check. Especially since my friends and family know about my diet.

One more thing...put down the liquor bottle. That is a bottle of empty fat. It's totally OK to have a drink or two, but be mindful of what you are putting in your body. And exercise. With a group. Once again, accountability!

I am sorry, but your diet sounds very unhealthy. Fasting five days a week. Yikes! This sounds like starvation. Your doctors support this? I wonder what your blood work reads?

Have you seen a doctor regarding your eating issues?
    Last edited by Hollyj; 07-25-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    I am sorry, but your diet sounds very unhealthy. Fasting five days a week. Yikes! This sounds like starvation. Your doctors support this? I wonder what your blood work reads?

Have you seen a doctor regarding your eating issues?
    I do intermittent fasting five days a week. I do eat, but only in certain windows of time. I assure you I am not starving. Yes, my doctors support it. It is definitely not for everyone. But, with my issues, it is best for me. My blood work and levels are all exactly where they should be.

I have seen doctors about my issues. I was in an eating disorders unit for quite some time (18 years ago!). I have since had counseling.

I appreciate your concern; I know my diet sounds alarming at first!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by loyal
    I do intermittent fasting five days a week. I do eat, but only in certain windows of time. I assure you I am not starving. Yes, my doctors support it. It is definitely not for everyone. But, with my issues, it is best for me. My blood work and levels are all exactly where they should be.

I have seen doctors about my issues. I was in an eating disorders unit for quite some time (18 years ago!). I have since had counseling.

I appreciate your concern; I know my diet sounds alarming at first!
    Good. Glad to hear that your numbers are good and that it works for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice