LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assistance required for ankle strengthening

Platinum Member
    Do you wear the brace when you are not skating?

I had a posterior tibial replacement 3 years back, due to my tendon snapping. i cannot do everything that I had done in the past, such as, running and wearing a lot of the shoes I love. I have had to make adjustments, as i have had no choice. On the bright side, i can walk great distances and still hike :) You may have to let the skating go for now-and maybe permanently-and take up different sports. Nothing would be worse if you screwed up your ankle permanently.

I am grateful that i can still walk, as my recovery was long. I did not think I would ever be able to walk normally again. Please continue to use the brace when needed, as I have found that i have to use it periodically.

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Do you wear the brace when you are not skating?

I had a posterior tibial replacement 3 years back, due to my tendon snapping. i cannot do everything that I had done in the past, such as, running and wearing a lot of the shoes I love. I have had to make adjustments, as i have had no choice. On the bright side, i can walk great distances and still hike :) You may have to let the skating go for now-and maybe permanently-and take up different sports. Nothing would be worse if you screwed up your ankle permanently.

I am grateful that i can still walk, as my recovery was long. I did not think I would ever be able to walk normally again. Please continue to use the brace when needed, as I have found that i have to use it periodically.
    I rarely use a brace, as my ankle doesn't hurt most days - just extreme stiffness. It only hurts with prolonged exertion.

Platinum Member
    Are you using the band that was used in therapy?

Platinum Member
    I always wear a brace if I know that i will be walking more than a mile. I also bring it with me, just in case the ankle starts acting up. Be careful with the other foot, as it can take on the brunt of the injured one, then you have issues with that foot or hip.

Foot injuries suck!
    Last edited by Hollyj; 07-25-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Originally Posted by WithLove
    I can skate some laps, maybe 5-6 at a time, before I had to sit. But after only about half an hour or so, the pain becomes intolerable.
    I hate to tell you this, but healing takes longer as we get older. You are by no means old, but you are around the age where I first started to notice this myself. Things won't snap back into shape as quickly as they did when you were younger. But that doesn't mean that you won't heal.

What I would suggest is skate those five or six laps and then stop for the night. The moment it starts to hurt, stop doing it. Pain = stop. Don't wait for "intolerable."

This way, you'll condition the muscles gently while also giving them time to complete the healing process. Do this regularly for a couple of weeks, then see if adding extra laps or exertion still causes pain.

Also continue those rotation exercises.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice