Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: More money for doing OT and development?

  1. #11
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,912
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    The parents should pay for another individual to come in for therapy sessions with the child. I don't think you can charge more just because the child takes more time because then every daycare that had an unruly kid would charge differently per child. I would say if you are required to provide DIFFERENT services then maybe its a consideration but simply talking a little more time is not

    If the child can interact with the other kids, i know in my nieces daycare the kids that are more on target are very caring and "help" the other child that is not - they are patient for them when they take longer to finish a task
    Unfortunately, the other children are only 2 and 3 and I donít want them picking up a 19-month-old they can barely carry . Not to mention they maul the snot out of her already and itís a hard time getting them off her . It is actually more of a hinderance than a help .

  2. #12
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,912
    Gender
    Female
    Thatís the issue I would be expected to do a lot of the occupational therapy and development work with her. She is almost 19 months but has the skills of about 8 months. So there is lots and lots of work to be done . And let me say I am not trained in occupational therapy so it is something I would have to learn .
    Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    I would charge more within reason if the disabled child takes more time and attention away from your other daycare children. It's business.

  3. #13
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,253
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Unfortunately, the other children are only 2 and 3 and I donít want them picking up a 19-month-old they can barely carry . Not to mention they maul the snot out of her already and itís a hard time getting them off her . It is actually more of a hinderance than a help .
    They don't "help" by carrying the child at all. They wait for the child, carry a toy for the child, etc.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,253
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Thatís the issue I would be expected to do a lot of the occupational therapy and development work with her. She is almost 19 months but has the skills of about 8 months. So there is lots and lots of work to be done . And let me say I am not trained in occupational therapy so it is something I would have to learn .
    If you could treat her at her developmental level, that's one thing - just a bigger baby to diaper, so to speak, but if you are expected to advance her development, yeah, its not really something I would think a small daycare is equipped for. Are you willing to convert to a special needs daycare for one child or refer them to a special needs daycare? I think kids who are just slightly behind benefit from being around kids who are on target or ahead and that moves some of their skills ahead but she is worlds behind...

  5.  

  6. #15
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,912
    Gender
    Female
    We actually donít want them doing anything for her she hast to learn to do things herself . The only independent skills she has are crawling which sheís only learned in the past two months and feeding her self the more they do for her the less sheís going to learn . If they left her alone that would be great .
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    They don't "help" by carrying the child at all. They wait for the child, carry a toy for the child, etc.

  7. #16
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,912
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    If you could treat her at her developmental level, that's one thing - just a bigger baby to diaper, so to speak, but if you are expected to advance her development, yeah, its not really something I would think a small daycare is equipped for. Are you willing to convert to a special needs daycare for one child or refer them to a special needs daycare? I think kids who are just slightly behind benefit from being around kids who are on target or ahead and that moves some of their skills ahead but she is worlds behind...
    This being a very small area I donít think there are specifically special-needs Daycares. I live in a small rural area of 19,000.

  8. #17
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,912
    Gender
    Female
    Mom wants her with me because I came highly recommended from my other employer. And I am literally three minutes from her work and 2 minutes from where she picks up her other daughter at another daycare . And I am one of the only Daycare is that opens before 6:45 and where she would not be paying $75 a day being that sheís already paying 45 a day for her other daughter . If she was paying 75 a day and 45 a day she might as well not bother working .

  9. #18
    Platinum Member shellyf62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    3,030
    Gender
    Female
    You are an amazing lady, taking on therapy for this child.
    She is lucky to have you as her carer!!!

  10. #19
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,912
    Gender
    Female
    Thank you it is daunting though. I have already been told not to let her ďbum scootĒ which she does .all .the .time . I have to stop her immediately put her on her tummy and wait for her to get up on her hands and knees and crawl that way as thatís the only way sheís going to develop proper core strength which will lead to walking and other advances . Who knew but I learned from the Developmental Worker that walking and language development are linked together. As the child has no words either she babbles but has no distinguishable words. She recognizes no words except for her own name and mommy and daddy . So I have to label everything for her all day . This is a nose, this is a cup, this is a .... Plus I have to learn the correct moves for her to be able to stand because it has to be done in a certain sequence . We have to untrain and retrain her brain to move correctly.
    Originally Posted by shellyf62
    You are an amazing lady, taking on therapy for this child.
    She is lucky to have you as her carer!!!

  11. #20
    Platinum Member Cherylyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,324
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Thatís the issue I would be expected to do a lot of the occupational therapy and development work with her. She is almost 19 months but has the skills of about 8 months. So there is lots and lots of work to be done . And let me say I am not trained in occupational therapy so it is something I would have to learn .
    If the mother expects you to go above and beyond such as occupational therapy and development work for her child, this requires more skill and time on your part so yes, you should be compensated for it. As mentioned previously, you're running a business.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •