Submitting two weeks notice of resignation

Hi all,

I have a question in regards to submitting my two weeks notice. I recently accepted a new job offer and I am preparing to submit my resignation. I was planning on doing it tomorrow morning however, in talking to my supervisor, he is actually scheduled to be out of town for work tomorrow through the remainder of the week. My SO recommended that I pull him aside at the end of the day today and give him a verbal notice (as a courtesy) that I will be formally submitting my resignation tomorrow. Unfortunately, since he is my direct supervisor and will be out of town, I would have to email him formally which I am not in love with.

I would have loved to do this in person but if I wait until tomorrow it will have to be drafted via email.

Should I give him a head's up this afternoon and explain that my formal version will be in email form tomorrow? or should I just email him in the morning with no head's up?

Either way, it's going to be unexpected for him.

Thanks,

~Deej

Are you starting your new job in exactly two weeks or is your start date 3-4 weeks away, and you gave yourself some "time off" during jobs? If its the latter and he will only be out of town for a day or two, I would wait to give my notice. If he will be out of town for some time, then I would ask to have a few words with him before he leaves today.

I technically start on August 12th. I need 2 days off between my end date and start date to take care of some personal wedding business so that I don't have to ask for a day or two off right after I start the new job. In essence, I really need to submit my two weeks tomorrow. My last day would be on the 7th.

I technically start on August 12th. I need 2 days off between my end date and start date to take care of some personal wedding business so that I don't have to ask for a day or two off right after I start the new job. In essence, I really need to submit my two weeks tomorrow.

Do you have vacation time accrued to cover those two days?

I would verbally give a head’s up, personally. It’s friendlier.

It doesn’t have to be all formal - just “Hey Joe - can I talk to you for a moment? I just wanted to let you know I found another job. I will send you an official email and all - but I wanted to talk to you in person because I know you will be going away. It’s been great working with you, etc”

You have nothing to lose. You are quitting. Might as well be friendly about it.

I would verbally give a head’s up, personally. It’s friendlier.

It doesn’t have to be all formal - just “Hey Joe - can I talk to you for a moment? I just wanted to let you know I found another job. I will send you an official email and all - but I wanted to talk to you in person because I know you will be going away. It’s been great working with you, etc”

You have nothing to lose. You are quitting. Might as well be friendly about it.

I agree. I want to be as professional about it. I just hope he takes it the right way and doesn't ask why I haven't said anything to him all day about it.

If he's away on business, he should be reachable via phone whether his cellphone (business or personal). I would have brought it up prior to him leaving the office this week but now that time is likely passed as the day is nearly over for most of us.

If you're not on familiar enough terms to speak on the phone, I would draft an email and make it brief, professional, informative (end dates/reason for leaving) and appreciative of the time you have spent at your company. When I left my previous company I spoke directly to the person I reported to and informed the reason for leaving and we had a heart to heart and she remained a mentor for awhile for me until her retirement. It's up to you what you are comfortable with but you should put some thought into it and don't make it a hurried affair or leave out important information. Thank him for the opportunities and the time there and you might want to remind him also that you are open to doing what it takes to train a new person in the time remaining or helping hire for the person taking over your role in order to make the transition as easy as possible. If there are special issues you want to discuss with him or loose ends (items in progress) I'd advise speaking about them over the phone and how you plan on transitioning the new person taking over or speak in person about it next week when he returns.

Congratulations, by the way, on the new role and your engagement!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up sending him a vague email yesterday asking for us to meet privately before we left the office for the day. We sat down and I gave him my verbal intent to submit my 2 weeks notice and told him that I wanted him to hear it from me in person first. He very much appreciated my honesty and respect to tell him in person. I informed him that my official notice would be in writing as of this morning and I would be emailing him a copy of my two weeks notice with our deputy directors attached. He agreed that it was a good approach. I submitted it this morning and he told me yesterday that he would follow up with me on the official next steps that the company wants/needs to take. Overall the conversation was a calm and professional one. He took the news well but did admit that he was taken by surprise. He asked if I would take a counter-offer if they approached me with one and I told him that my terms would have to be a match in salary, position, and title. I told him that it wouldn't be a definite guarantee if they did and that I would need to think it over, but I explained to him in all honesty that I think that it is in my best professional interests to move on to a new experience elsewhere. It is nothing personal, I just think that it is time for me to explore something new in my career. He also said that he has no hard feelings and that I can feel free to use him as a reference if need be in the future. All in all, I would say it ended well. I'm nervous for my new position but I think it is a good next step and I do feel a little bummed about leaving my current position. I have had some great experiences with my current company.

Good job! Go for a drink with your fiancee or celebrate. Don't worry about feeling bummed. These types of conversations sometimes feel like a let down as you're leaving a place. It'll clear up. You've been worrying about this for awhile now. Draft the official notice, go for a walk or take a breather, come back to it and proofread and send it off. You'll feel better by tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up sending him a vague email yesterday asking for us to meet privately before we left the office for the day. We sat down and I gave him my verbal intent to submit my 2 weeks notice and told him that I wanted him to hear it from me in person first. He very much appreciated my honesty and respect to tell him in person. I informed him that my official notice would be in writing as of this morning and I would be emailing him a copy of my two weeks notice with our deputy directors attached. He agreed that it was a good approach. I submitted it this morning and he told me yesterday that he would follow up with me on the official next steps that the company wants/needs to take. Overall the conversation was a calm and professional one. He took the news well but did admit that he was taken by surprise. He asked if I would take a counter-offer if they approached me with one and I told him that my terms would have to be a match in salary, position, and title. I told him that it wouldn't be a definite guarantee if they did and that I would need to think it over, but I explained to him in all honesty that I think that it is in my best professional interests to move on to a new experience elsewhere. It is nothing personal, I just think that it is time for me to explore something new in my career. He also said that he has no hard feelings and that I can feel free to use him as a reference if need be in the future. All in all, I would say it ended well. I'm nervous for my new position but I think it is a good next step and I do feel a little bummed about leaving my current position. I have had some great experiences with my current company.

That's great!

You never know where people you answer to will be working in the future and its great that down the road you have a positive relationship.

I know a few people who left a company on good terms, and a few years later, a more challenging and interesting position at the old company opened up or was created, and they would not have been qualified for it when they were at the company, but are more than qualified now and they went back to their old company 5 years later and it was a good move.

A great outcome all around and you know if this job doesn't work out, you have a good reference

Archived