Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Submitting two weeks notice of resignation

Good job! Go for a drink with your fiancee or celebrate. Don't worry about feeling bummed. These types of conversations sometimes feel like a let down as you're leaving a place. It'll clear up. You've been worrying about this for awhile now. Draft the official notice, go for a walk or take a breather, come back to it and proofread and send it off. You'll feel better by tomorrow.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Deejmonster
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up sending him a vague email yesterday asking for us to meet privately before we left the office for the day. We sat down and I gave him my verbal intent to submit my 2 weeks notice and told him that I wanted him to hear it from me in person first. He very much appreciated my honesty and respect to tell him in person. I informed him that my official notice would be in writing as of this morning and I would be emailing him a copy of my two weeks notice with our deputy directors attached. He agreed that it was a good approach. I submitted it this morning and he told me yesterday that he would follow up with me on the official next steps that the company wants/needs to take. Overall the conversation was a calm and professional one. He took the news well but did admit that he was taken by surprise. He asked if I would take a counter-offer if they approached me with one and I told him that my terms would have to be a match in salary, position, and title. I told him that it wouldn't be a definite guarantee if they did and that I would need to think it over, but I explained to him in all honesty that I think that it is in my best professional interests to move on to a new experience elsewhere. It is nothing personal, I just think that it is time for me to explore something new in my career. He also said that he has no hard feelings and that I can feel free to use him as a reference if need be in the future. All in all, I would say it ended well. I'm nervous for my new position but I think it is a good next step and I do feel a little bummed about leaving my current position. I have had some great experiences with my current company.
    That's great!

You never know where people you answer to will be working in the future and its great that down the road you have a positive relationship.

I know a few people who left a company on good terms, and a few years later, a more challenging and interesting position at the old company opened up or was created, and they would not have been qualified for it when they were at the company, but are more than qualified now and they went back to their old company 5 years later and it was a good move.

A great outcome all around and you know if this job doesn't work out, you have a good reference

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice