Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Friend that talks smack about her significant other...

  1. #31
    Gold Member Nebraskagirl14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    561
    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    Maybe she says those things because everyone gets excited about them. She gets a reaction out of all of you. I don't know how things work with your friends but if someone I know well says disparaging things about their husband/boyfriend or family, I'd probably ask a few questions and the problem is out in the open and we can talk frankly about what the matter is. I wouldn't be wondering why that person is so negative without knowing or wanting to know the full picture. What comes across as trash talking to me is you have never met this man but are giving him the benefit of the doubt over the negative things your friend is saying about him. I find this odd.

    Either what she's saying is a cry for help (she really does need someone to listen and help her get through a rough patch) or she senses she's more likely to get a reaction from all of you if she continues doing so (superficial reasons). And she's getting that reaction, isn't she? I'd say limit your time with her if you feel what she has to say isn't worth saying at all (because by catagorizing her thoughts or words as "trash talking" or "talks smack" it does minimize the value of her thoughts and words). I don't feel a friend who is a friend would do that in the first place. I'm basically saying you're not taking her seriously so 1) she really is NOT a friend to you or 2) she's an attention seeker. There really is no reason for all this if you are friends.

    I hope it clears up soon either way. There was no offense meant by my earlier post. We all have different ideas about what friendships mean.
    No worries, Rose Mosse. She is an attention seeker but here is what it is... she has given up on a healthy relationship and her past relationships have been a little crazy. Very unhealthy and this man is really insecure but much healthier in many ways than the people she has dated before. Therefore, itís not ďbad enoughĒ to leave but bad enough to not be good. I will just have a heart to heart with her about it.

  2. #32
    Gold Member Nebraskagirl14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    561
    Originally Posted by Twelve1212
    Iím going through a similar situation the only thing is my boyfriend broke up with me m. I wish I wouldíve never spoke on our problems to anyone
    Iím sorry, Twelve!! That is really too bad but people do look to talk to others about their problems. Wouldnít it be great if it could all just be private???

  3. #33
    Platinum Member Rose Mosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    1,548
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Nebraskagirl14
    No worries, Rose Mosse. She is an attention seeker but here is what it is... she has given up on a healthy relationship and her past relationships have been a little crazy. Very unhealthy and this man is really insecure but much healthier in many ways than the people she has dated before. Therefore, itís not ďbad enoughĒ to leave but bad enough to not be good. I will just have a heart to heart with her about it.
    This sounds so down to earth and a good plan. I see what you mean now about the guy. Sometimes things are always a lot clearer from the outside? She will probably really appreciate the honesty coming from a friend and might feel motivated to feel better about herself and feel good about all the blessings she does have in her life. I think only good things can come out of a heart to heart especially between friends. Hope she feels better soon and you too out of all of this.

  4. #34
    Gold Member Nebraskagirl14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    561

    Friend that talks smack about her significant other...

    Originally Posted by Rose Mosse
    This sounds so down to earth and a good plan. I see what you mean now about the guy. Sometimes things are always a lot clearer from the outside? She will probably really appreciate the honesty coming from a friend and might feel motivated to feel better about herself and feel good about all the blessings she does have in her life. I think only good things can come out of a heart to heart especially between friends. Hope she feels better soon and you too out of all of this.
    Thanks, Rose! Yeah, I think it will all work out! She trusts my honesty. I just havenít wanted to go there in full because when I am honest, Iím very honest. I appreciate your replies!

  5.  

  6. #35
    Gold Member Nebraskagirl14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    561
    Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    I have a best friend who complains a lot about her mother, brothers, son, sometimes husband and friends whom I do not know. I just listen and support her. Sometimes people need to vent and need a good listener because those closest to them don't wish to hear them anymore. I listen, offer my kind words of moral support and she listens to my gripes, too. It works both ways. I can relate to many of her complaints which helps. We both encourage each other. Sometimes having a spouse or significant other isn't enough. We need girlfriend time.

    If you are growing weary of giving her moral support and listening to her incessant whining, then I agree with others, divert the conversation, change the subject, distract her and the like.
    Thanks, Cherylyn! Yes, girlfriend time is super important. We have to be able to talk to friends about our relationships. What has made me feel weird about it is the meanness. I endeavor to never be mean if I can help it but this friend can be downright cruel at times.

  7. #36
    Platinum Member catfeeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    22,054
    Gender
    Female
    First, I just want to offer a shout to your beautiful pic, NBG. Your smile is radiant!

    Originally Posted by Nebraskagirl14
    Thanks, Cherylyn! Yes, girlfriend time is super important. We have to be able to talk to friends about our relationships. What has made me feel weird about it is the meanness. I endeavor to never be mean if I can help it but this friend can be downright cruel at times.
    You make a great point here that I'd make directly to friend. "HerName, I've always credited you with a generosity of spirit that I value and admire. It pains me to hear you lapsing into cruelty toward someone you presumably love. What do you hope to accomplish by this, and how can I help?"
    Last edited by catfeeder; 07-21-2019 at 01:43 AM.

  8. #37
    Gold Member Nebraskagirl14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    561
    Originally Posted by catfeeder
    First, I just want to offer a shout to your beautiful pic, NBG. Your smile is radiant!



    You make a great point here that I'd make directly to friend. "HerName, I've always credited you with a generosity of spirit that I value and admire. It pains me to hear you lapsing into cruelty toward someone you presumably love. What do you hope to accomplish by this, and how can I help?"
    Awww, thank you, Catfeeder! How sweet you are! And thank you, as always, for chiming in! Thatís a very loving way to go about it and definitely more my style. My friend knows that I love her and want the best for her and she also knows that Iím not a mean-spirited person and donít want to sit and talk badly about people. I appreciate your kind words!!

  9. #38
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    49,897
    I too love your photo and smile - it really caught my attention -great positive energy!! And I agree with Catfeeder on the rest.

  10. #39
    Gold Member Nebraskagirl14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    561
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    I too love your photo and smile - it really caught my attention -great positive energy!! And I agree with Catfeeder on the rest.
    Thank you so much, Batya!! You both are very sweet and always give great advice!

  11. #40
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    49,897
    Originally Posted by Nebraskagirl14
    Thank you so much, Batya!! You both are very sweet and always give great advice!
    Thanks and I wanted to add based on what I read above -I had at least one situation where a friend talked badly about her SO all the time and later ended things with me as a friend once he proposed because she knew I must have a bad impression of him and his loyalty to her -not because I actually said anything. So, beware.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •