I want to start strength training, but i don't have a gym membership

yun

exactly as the title says, I've heard many fitness gurus and forums tell me that strength training is a great way to build lean muscle mass and lose weight. I would like to strength train, but i don't know where to start. I don't know of any gyms near me, nor do I know if I'd be allowed to use their equipment without a membership. I know the basics to weight lifting (I learned it through P.E. class of my freshman year), and I think I'd know what to do if I was simply in the right environment with the right equipment, I just don't know how to access it.

There's plenty you can do for strength training and even hypertrophy with bodyweight exercises while you save up for your own equipment or a gym membership.

But to get more in depth on your case in particular, per your previous thread you're self-described as "very fit" already, so I highly doubt your body will allow you to both gain muscle and lose fat even as a newbie, especially if you're eating at a deficit and engaged in something like 9 hours of aerobic activity a week. You can gain lean muscle and in essence lower your body fat percentage without losing fat, but you'd still have to be willing to take on a calorie surplus. Gaining muscle isn't easy, particularly for women. You need to have your head on straight nutritionally and to get into the game for the right reasons.

Go with body weight training and you can build your own workout equipment and i also did bodyweight training and saw real results check out frank medrano did his work outs and i became pretty good and its been 3 years now and i stopped doing the work outs and lost a little bit of the muscle but still look fit and still got my strength.

Just start with push-ups, squats, calf raises, etc... build some base muscle while also incorporating cardio. You don't need a bunch of fancy equipment to get in to shape! And the right environment is the one you are in! Just do it!

Just start with push-ups, squats, calf raises, etc... build some base muscle while also incorporating cardio. You don't need a bunch of fancy equipment to get in to shape! And the right environment is the one you are in! Just do it!

Could not agree more. I think sometimes people make the mistake of thinking working out has to require fancy equipment/expense. Right now I own workout clothes, really good sneakers (one pair, a few old pairs), an exercise band, a DVD that I use a few times a year and I have a workout room in my building and use the treadmill. If I didn't have the treadmill I'd do all of it outdoors with the DVD being for those days when it was impossible to get outdoors (and I mean really impossible - at a level of danger as far as weather conditions or where I was unable to workout during safe hours). If I wanted to do strength training I could do that outdoors too - for one thing our park has that sort of equipment or I'd buy inexpensive hand held weights to start. Also I walk outside on hills when I can plus run up and down steps leading to our jogging path. Certainly trainers, gyms, equipment are options for working out and exercise just nowhere near essential.

Archived